ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
backroadbill OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
backroadbill's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Fond Du Lac WI
Oddometer: 224
New GS power outlet????

Anyone know what the standard outlet on the new GS rates??? Watts and amps?


Thanks........
backroadbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:50 AM   #2
rangerrn
H.O. SCALE RACER
 
rangerrn's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Hohenwald TN
Oddometer: 223
I ask my service writer that question on Tuesday and he said it was the same as on previous model gs's. Which means it will not support my Gerbings gear. The stocker will have to be replaced with a Powerlet socket.
__________________
PEACE, LOVE & SOUL
rangerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:12 AM   #3
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,769
5 amps max.

Get an aux plug kit to go directly to the battery.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 3,414
Aux plug kit...source...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
5 amps max.

Get an aux plug kit to go directly to the battery.

Jim
http://www.powerlet.com/learningCenter/iCan

Good reading about CANBUS electrical limit problem...
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
TowPro
Getting there
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Compass PA
Oddometer: 2,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelPerryOnLand View Post
http://www.powerlet.com/learningCenter/iCan

Good reading about CANBUS electrical limit problem...
I sure hate how people throw around the term CANbus.
CANbus is the way the separate computers talk to each other.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus

CAN bus (for controller area network) is a vehicle bus standard designed to allow microcontrollers and devices to communicate with each other within a vehicle without a host computer.
CAN bus is a message-based protocol, designed specifically for automotive applications but now also used in other areas such as aerospace, maritime, industrial automation and medical equipment.


It is the chassis computer (ZFM?) that is advanced enough to monitor the current on each circuit, with the ability to turn that circuit off in the event of an overload condition. The computer can also see the "under load" on a circuit (example, light goes out), then it sends the information across the CANbus to the dash so "check bulb" is displayed.

Sorry, off my technical soap box.
__________________
2014 R1200GS - My Naked Street Touring Bike
2000 KTM LC4 640 E - For everything else

TowPro screwed with this post 10-31-2013 at 09:52 AM
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelPerryOnLand View Post
http://www.powerlet.com/learningCenter/iCan

Good reading about CANBUS electrical limit problem...
Not sure what you mean, but the direct to the battery kit works on all R1200 series, even the Wethead.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
How can such a smart company publish something like that to further confuse all the BMW riders.
"CANbus-driven outlets". There is no such thing as CANbus-driven outlets.
CANbus is the way the separate computers talk to each other.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus

CAN bus (for controller area network) is a vehicle bus standard designed to allow microcontrollers and devices to communicate with each other within a vehicle without a host computer.
CAN bus is a message-based protocol, designed specifically for automotive applications but now also used in other areas such as aerospace, maritime, industrial automation and medical equipment.


It is the chassis computer (ZFM?) that is advanced enough to monitor the current on each circuit, with the ability to turn that circuit off in the event of an overload condition. The computer can also see the "under load" on a circuit (example, light goes out), then it sends the information across the CANbus to the dash so "check bulb" is displayed.

Sorry, off my technical soap box.
All true, but the reason this is done here is to differentiate between the old fused system and the new computer controlled system sans fuses. In other words, calling it ALL canbus helps reduce confusion when talking about the R1200 series and electrical connections and systems.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: So.Central PA
Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
How can such a smart company publish something like that to further confuse all the BMW riders.
"CANbus-driven outlets". There is no such thing as CANbus-driven outlets.
CANbus is the way the separate computers talk to each other.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus

CAN bus (for controller area network) is a vehicle bus standard designed to allow microcontrollers and devices to communicate with each other within a vehicle without a host computer.
CAN bus is a message-based protocol, designed specifically for automotive applications but now also used in other areas such as aerospace, maritime, industrial automation and medical equipment.


It is the chassis computer (ZFM?) that is advanced enough to monitor the current on each circuit, with the ability to turn that circuit off in the event of an overload condition. The computer can also see the "under load" on a circuit (example, light goes out), then it sends the information across the CANbus to the dash so "check bulb" is displayed.

Sorry, off my technical soap box.
Thanks for posting. I've always wondered the same thing. While it would be nice if they provided a circuit with higher amperage rating, few people point out the benefit of having an outlet that won't keep snapping fuses in the event of an issue.

My Tuono left me sit a couple years ago because a wire melted through and kept shorting a circuit, blowing the fuse, happened that the fuel pump was on the same circuit. Sure, I had spare fuses, but kept snapping them while trying to troubleshoot...would have been nice to have a fault get thrown onto the dash instead.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------------
'12 R1200GS Adventure
'11 Harley Street Glide - gone and pretty much forgotten
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:52 AM   #9
motocrotts
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: AZ
Oddometer: 186
I had my socket rewired to accept my Gerbings heated clothing and had a rear one installed so mommie can plug hers in too when I bought the bike.
__________________
14 BMW GS
13 KTM 450 XCW
14 KTM 300 XC
few other oldies
motocrotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #10
TowPro
Getting there
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Compass PA
Oddometer: 2,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
All true, but the reason this is done here is to differentiate between the old fused system and the new computer controlled system sans fuses. In other words, calling it ALL canbus helps reduce confusion when talking about the R1200 series and electrical connections and systems.

Jim
I edited my original post so it didn't look like I was singling out powerlett. the term is used wrong all over the place, and the sad part is people are really starting believe it is the canbus that is causing them issues.
Sorry
__________________
2014 R1200GS - My Naked Street Touring Bike
2000 KTM LC4 640 E - For everything else
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I edited my original post so it didn't look like I was singling out powerlett. the term is used wrong all over the place, and the sad part is people are really starting believe it is the canbus that is causing them issues.
Sorry
No need to be sorry, you are correct. People blame canbus for everything, when the reality is that it is almost never the problem.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014