User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
Der Alte Motorrader OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Center Stand Revelations

I bet all most every one who ever swung a leg over a GS Has some sort of story about a broken center stand bolt or two(or three or four). When I was putting on the OEM improved skid plate I was shocked to see that BMW must have tried to address it because now lo and behold the metal bolt and hardware has been replaced with a plastic plug that's held in place with a circular clip! The OEM skid plate has a hanger in the rear that that hangs from that thing(actually the skid plate comes with a longer replacement plug that's a bit longer) Has BMW been using these on other bikes, or is this a new innovation?
Der Alte Motorrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 52,989
Never had one break, or seen one in person broken. Only online.
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:22 PM   #3
pceire32
Irish

Oddometer: 837
Had one break, two weeks ago on a 2010 GS 1200 and was told by my mechanic, an ongoing problem caused by the use of a soft bolt rather then a hardened bolt.
pceire32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:34 PM   #4
flyrodder
Donny, please.

Oddometer: 3,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by pceire32 View Post
Had one break, two weeks ago on a 2010 GS 1200 and was told by my mechanic, an ongoing problem caused by the use of a soft bolt rather then a hardened bolt.
No idea when the change happened. I broke one on my '06 GS; replaced both bolts with grade 1 million or so (good bolts anyway) and did not repeat the problem. Didn't break one on my '09. Had my '15 for almost 36 hours now -- hasn't broken yet........
Old 10-26-2014, 09:11 PM   #5
pistole
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,156
nothing wrong with the center stand on my water GS.

it holds the bike up pretty well.

but makes a gawd awful racket off road (is it the one making the banging/knocking sound ?)

pistole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:31 AM   #6
Der Alte Motorrader OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Main Stand

My 1999 broke one at about 40,000 miles, My 02 Adventure broke 2 over 48,000 miles, the 06 only had about 5800 when a deer broke it in half, and my 07 broke 3 over 89,000 miles. A couple of my buddies broke them as well on their 07's one with 25,000 (over 7 years). I guess I have to admit that it must make a difference in my case that I commute on mine every day rain or shine and I always put it on the main stand......hey if you use them a lot I guess they fail more often...It doesn't surprise me that JVB hasn't seen this as being from the east where bikes are in the garage more of the year, they aren't as much a problem. It still seems odd though that with the vast experience that someone like him who has helped countless others with their problems, that he's never had one fail....I guess that's what you call good Karma! I guess what I really am asking is what does any one think about the new polymer plug that replaces the bolts....Did BMW change them just because they could?
Old 10-27-2014, 07:45 AM   #7
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Alte Motorrader View Post
My 1999 broke one at about 40,000 miles, My 02 Adventure broke 2 over 48,000 miles, the 06 only had about 5800 when a deer broke it in half, and my 07 broke 3 over 89,000 miles. A couple of my buddies broke them as well on their 07's one with 25,000 (over 7 years). I guess I have to admit that it must make a difference in my case that I commute on mine every day rain or shine and I always put it on the main stand......hey if you use them a lot I guess they fail more often...It doesn't surprise me that JVB hasn't seen this as being from the east where bikes are in the garage more of the year, they aren't as much a problem. It still seems odd though that with the vast experience that someone like him who has helped countless others with their problems, that he's never had one fail....I guess that's what you call good Karma! I guess what I really am asking is what does any one think about the new polymer plug that replaces the bolts....Did BMW change them just because they could?
You have had so many, and most so few, maybe you are doing something wrong?

As for sitting in the garage, you obviously never lived around here. I ride year round, as do most I know.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:59 AM   #8
Dan Căta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
The extension that you lever with your foot broke on my RT, resulting in a tip over. I have lost a tear that day...

I replaced a broken screw on a 1200GS with a similar one from a screw dealer. That is all my history with centerstand screwing... :)

Dan.
Dan Căta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:59 AM   #9
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 3,289
I use my center-stand 99% of the time when parking my bike, my 2005 GS had several center-stand bolt failures, the original bolts were made from stainless steel, the updated replacement bolts were cadmium plated.
I discovered two issues that I believe played a significant part in the bolts breaking.

1. When I would pull the bike up onto the center-stand sometimes I would do so hard enough to slam the bike against the center-stand stops, this puts a tremendous shock load on the bolts, I beleive that this actually casued the bolts to break even though I wouldn't notice until I pulled the bike off the stand.

2. After having a couple bolts break in a short time I climbed underneath the bike and measured the stand and attaching points for proper fit and made sure everything was squared up, it was not, as the center-stand was swung through its arch the mounting ears could be seen bending and twisting, indicating that either they or the stand was bent, it turned out to be both.
I spent a couple of hours straightening everything up and for the last 2 years I owned the bike I had no other bolts break.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #10
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I use my center-stand 99% of the time when parking my bike, my 2005 GS had several center-stand bolt failures, the original bolts were made from stainless steel, the updated replacement bolts were cadmium plated.
I discovered two issues that I believe played a significant part in the bolts breaking.

1. When I would pull the bike up onto the center-stand sometimes I would do so hard enough to slam the bike against the center-stand stops, this puts a tremendous shock load on the bolts, I beleive that this actually casued the bolts to break even though I wouldn't notice until I pulled the bike off the stand.

2. After having a couple bolts break in a short time I climbed underneath the bike and measured the stand and attaching points for proper fit and made sure everything was squared up, it was not, as the center-stand was swung through its arch the mounting ears could be seen bending and twisting, indicating that either they or the stand was bent, it turned out to be both.
I spent a couple of hours straightening everything up and for the last 2 years I owned the bike I had no other bolts break
This makes a lot of sense on why some have multiple breakages and others none.

I use my CS daily, and actually spin the bike on it to face out, and have on all my BMWs, with no issues. I know many who do the same.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #11
Der Alte Motorrader OP
Gnarly Adventurer

C'mon now Jim...

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers, Jim....I'm not questioning your manhood or doubting if you ride as much as anybody else! I just thought that because garaging a bike in the east might be more common than out west; I'm sure people do it out here as well....and why say I must be doing something wrong without suggesting what that might be? I do lot's of things wrong, but hoisting up my GS on to it's center stand probably isn't one of them. I look to you guys for advice, not ridicule....sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:44 AM   #12
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 3,289
That's funny.....I come here mostly for the ridicule.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #13
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Sorry if I ruffled your feathers, Jim....I'm not questioning your manhood or doubting if you ride as much as anybody else! I just thought that because garaging a bike in the east might be more common than out west; I'm sure people do it out here as well....and why say I must be doing something wrong without suggesting what that might be? I do lot's of things wrong, but hoisting up my GS on to it's center stand probably isn't one of them. I look to you guys for advice, not ridicule....sorry for the misunderstanding.
What ridicule?

Advice you got!
Old 10-27-2014, 11:10 AM   #14
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 6,475
Quote:
bawahahahha aha. good one
Old 10-27-2014, 01:07 PM   #15
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 15,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
That's funny.....I come here mostly for the ridicule.

BTW: I heard that N2 in the tyres cure broken center-stand bolts.
Member #68,893
Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote