Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #61
sati8d
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzRider64 View Post
The OP says he has a 2010 R1200GSA. The bike has a float in the tank and is a lot more reliable.

My 2010 R1200GS was manufactured in July of 2010 and I purchased the bike in Feb of 2011. 35000K's so far and no problems.

You can hear the float moving around inside of the tank when the fuel level gets a bit lower.

Simon.
I'd be very interested in pulling my electronic one out and going mechanical - wonder if it's possible to.

TC

'09 R1200 GS Adv, '82 750 VFR, '84 XT 600'76 TT50, '74 Fantic Enduro 50cc
sati8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #62
SkiFly01
Govna Racepipe

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
2009 R1200GS - bought in Florida. The dealership there said the part was still under warrantee and my Colorado dealer could replace it. Got home and found out "Ooops!" the warrantee was expired.
There have to be some lawyers on this forum. I hate class action, but this seems to be the only option that will get the problem addressed.

If the strip has been replaced in the last two years, it would still be covered, otherwise you either pony up the money and get it going under the two year parts warranty or do it yourself.
SkiFly01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #63
bonzi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
06 gsa

Before I knew the new 1200's didnt have a fuel filter I pulled my pump out to change it . What I did find was that my bike still had the float on the pump. This even with the fuel strip and OBC. I took the float out and gave it to my shop in case someone with an older bike needed it. My fuel strip is still working at 72K miles but I have seen a few around here that have failed.
bonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #64
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 553
People keep saying that a float is only installed on non OBC bikes. This is not true. Mine is a 2011 with an OBC and I have a float, not a strip. Either way, it works by the same principle of measuring resistance and is also vulnerable to elevated moisture levels ( condensation ) and ethanol.

Personally, I believe a " true " adventure bike should be able to run on practically anything that will burn. Not this panzi ass high octane highly polished stuff that doesn't even exist on the interstate, let alone the back country. However, BMW isn't the only one with these sort of problems.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #65
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
People keep saying that a float is only installed on non OBC bikes. This is not true. Mine is a 2011...
Your 2011 is different than an '08 or an '09. It was probably built after the change back to a float system. Compare the parts list of earlier bikes to yours. The earlier bikes had a sensor with the note:
For vehicles with
On-board computer
X539A=Yes
10 Fuel level sensor
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:23 AM   #66
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 553
Actually, according to the Reprom, depending what your serial number is, there are 2010+ camhead bikes with both. Some have a strip, some have a float. This is regardless of whether or not it had an OBC.

I also thought that the fuel strip was only on the pre camhead bike. However, according to BMW that is not the case. The OP is talking about his fuel strip and his bike is a 2010.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #67
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 572
60 mph in middle lane of interstate during rush hour traffic. Two bars showing and range indicating 60 miles. Bike died. Was able to get to the shoulder and then pushed it a little less than 1/2 mile to fuel station - empty.

2009 GS Adv. 20400 miles. No low fuel light.

This is a new bike for me so I was a little freaked out trying to get off the interstate without getting run over.

Filed a complaint with NHTSA and will be contacting the dealer in the morning.
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #68
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,648
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDog45 View Post
60 mph in middle lane of interstate during rush hour traffic. Two bars showing and range indicating 60 miles. Bike died. Was able to get to the shoulder and then pushed it a little less than 1/2 mile to fuel station - empty.

2009 GS Adv. 20400 miles. No low fuel light.

This is a new bike for me so I was a little freaked out trying to get off the interstate without getting run over.

Filed a complaint with NHTSA and will be contacting the dealer in the morning.
Ha ! They all do that.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #69
Infidel
Adventure-Junkie

Oddometer: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by juvander View Post
I just replaced today my fuel strip on my '09 GSA. I did this by just replacing the old with new. No need to do any calibration, it started showing correct amount right after riding few hundred meters.

In my case GS-911 was showing error '41705 Fuel Level Indicator'.
After 3 strips and countless zaps with a clicker, I finally said fuck it and rode out with a '13 GSA.

Posted from my iPad using TapatalkHD (probably while pooping)

Oh, and- No matter how good life is, It never ends well.
Infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #70
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Ha ! They all do that.
What was worse is the 18 wheeler coming up behind while I'm slowing down! That could've ended all kinds of bad
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote