Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 02:55 AM   #1516
J-Dub
Combat Commuter

Oddometer: 242
Got a package in the mail today...

And I'll install this weekend. Thanks, guys!

Jason
Old 09-30-2011, 01:52 AM   #1517
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,735

Assembly report.

If you've been following along, the distributor we get the vials from changed vendors. Here's a link to a report from a few days ago: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post16904607

So what's the deal with these new vials? The deal is NO DEAL! They are going back. I found the manufacturer of our original vials and ordered a bag of 500! (Smallest quantity available.) They'll be here Monday and I can get back to the program!

[EDIT] Important note: No IICE Airs were assembled or shipped with these vials!

These vials are different. The seal on the distributor-substitute vial is different. The original vial is on the left. The new one is on the right. It looks innocent enough.

The original vial has an inner sealing lip like found on Tupperware containers.

The new one doesn't have an inner sealing lip. But still, it looks like it will seal ok. The lid snaps solidly into place and I don't see any problem.

While doing the prep work I notice something odd about the plastic. What's this? Bubbles in the plastic around the sealing area?!

I grabbed another one to check. Are they all like this? I wonder if this is going to be a sealing problem?

Time to do a vacuum leak down test. Here's a shout out for the Harbor Freight Brake Bleeder and Vacuum Pump http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-b...kit-92474.html

This thing is great. Pulls down to 16.67kPa/2.42psi. Holds a vacuum until you press the release valve on the bottom.

Cut the bottom off a vial.

Submerge the head in water and draw a vacuum from the open end.

And this is what happens, the tube fills with water. Jeebus. At this point I'm standing there shaking my head. I'm at a loss to imagine what other issues this simple little project might have.

A photo sampler of these 'new and improved' vials. Pics show bubbles or voids in the sealing area.

Like I was saying, these are going back to the distributor. But I spoke too soon about no other problems could happen.

I tried working out a return for these vials with the distributor, but instead they wanted to do a 'partial' store credit. 'Partial' meaning a parts-only credit, no shipping credit. Oh sure. I'm trying to explain to the girl that their parts had changed, but the website pictures and product description has not changed. Besides, their shipping department is a profit center and the shipping for the lightweight box was $16 American.

But this girl, she's a little bit of a handful to deal with, and I don't have the patience for it just then. I'll take a crack at her a little later.

A girlfriend of mine hears about this and says to me, "Let me take care of it. You have to fight fire with fire!" she says. You know, usually I have at least some argument with the woman, but with this I was forced to agree. So we'll see how that goes. I sort of wish them luck. If I have one piece of advice for them it'd be this, surrender early.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 09-30-2011 at 06:00 PM
Old 09-30-2011, 04:22 AM   #1518
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Poolside the update is greatly appreciated! I also appreciate you doing your best to ensure the part I get is of the higher or higher standard than expected. Quality is a lost art these days.

I admit though I was really looking forward to getting mine sooner rather than later.

For Quality I can wait!
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:46 AM   #1519
mag00
Outa Control Dave

Oddometer: 420
Wow you do take pride in your work and that speaks volumes to me and others here. Thanks for the great work on a great product. Now i just need to get my hands on one of these little gems.
09 R1200GSA
IBA #25226
Old 09-30-2011, 05:54 AM   #1520
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,571
Poolside is thorough. We all knew that even if we didn't know we knew that.

But, how has he had time to find a woman to talk to let alone a girlfriend?

BTW, as far as I know if you're ever going into a fight about a purchase, go find a woman to fight for you. I know it isn't fair, but they just know how to make it happen.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:18 AM   #1521
TrainedChimp
Consistently wrong

Oddometer: 176
Vroom vroom vroom!

Even with all the great photos I didn’t appreciate how tiny that vial really is and the scale you were working with until I saw it first hand. Nice work!

Install was such pain - made me almost three whole minutes later to work than normal.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #1522
Big Spag
ONESPEED

Oddometer: 92
ICE AIr Setting

Got the ice air today. Thanks.

For the jumper settings, what do you consider real hot, or real cold in temperature range so I can plan when to move the jumper for 20 to the other settings??
Old 09-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #1523
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Spag View Post
Got the ice air today. Thanks.

For the jumper settings, what do you consider real hot, or real cold in temperature range so I can plan when to move the jumper for 20 to the other settings??
See the 1st post of this thread for all those details
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638412

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
Old 10-01-2011, 05:02 AM   #1524
Spoke
semi-feral teen

Oddometer: 777
I too have no issues waiting longer for quality. Thanks poolside and woman

It entered my blood in 1970 on a Honda QA50
Old 10-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #1525
Farnsrocket
Manos arribas!!!

Oddometer: 3,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag00 View Post
Wow you do take pride in your work and that speaks volumes to me and others here. Thanks for the great work on a great product. Now i just need to get my hands on one of these little gems.

Same here......good job Poolside!!

I can't leave good enough alone.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #1526
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 867
Got mine on Thursday. I gave out a yelp like a kid getting a decoder ring.
Unfortunately, I'll have to wait a bit for install as we just moved into a new place yesterday.

IBA # 55612
Old 10-02-2011, 07:49 AM   #1527
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
These 30 pieces are going to:

D.S., TX
J.L., NH
D.R., CO
B.W., FL
T.R., DC
M.B., CO
J.L., CA
K.J., AZ
A.M., DC
K.S., AK
J.C., CA
R.T., OR
L.K., MN
S.S., CA
J.S., VA
F.R., FL
T.S., OR
S.O., ID
S.B., CA
J.C., CA
J.S., ID
J.W., CA
R.O., UT
T.J., OK
J.M., CA
J.F., WA
M.P., NY
J.D., GA
M.S., CA

Regarding Track and Confirm numbers:
For the last shipment I tried using the automated shipping notification through PayPal, but the feature doesn't work for multi-order shipments. I could post the tracking numbers up here, but then people could check the tracking number and see that J.T., CA lives in Long Beach 90803, for example. I don't know what degree of privacy everyone is comfortable with, so initials and state will have to do.

They are shipping today, and depending on distance they arrive within 1 to 4 days.

p.s.: Hey SOG, you guys are both in the next shipment. But I'll be sure to put the label on your envelope first.

I got mine. See there, and I didn't complain once about waiting

I discovered a gas leak yesterday gotta pull the tank to check/fix that and I need to install my replacement upper fork tubes and this magik gizmo
Old 10-02-2011, 08:30 AM   #1528
CamoGreg
Can you see me?

Oddometer: 3,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post

While doing the prep work I notice something odd about the plastic. What's this? Bubbles in the plastic around the sealing area?!

Bubbles are common in molded parts. However, they are usually inspected for this condition and easily corrected.

There's several causes. But most all relate to short cuts on the mold design or during the molding process itself.

In this instance, I'd guess it was more a function on the molding process. The bubbles are in the thickest cross section of the plastic. Usually a result of not "holding" the part long enough at pressure before completing the molding cycle.
This is common due to molders trying to maximize cycle time.
Shorten or eliminate the "pack or dwell" time to get more shots p/hour.

Clear parts are usually inspected closer exactly because the bubbles are so visible. There can be other contributing factors such as inadequate venting of the mold or drying of the plastic prior to molding.

Ya done good to catch this. I've rec'd mine but still waiting to install my new gadget. Like fishy, I waited patiently without complaint.
Watching the process is appreciated.

Excuse the hi-jack - now back to your regularly scheduled program.

CamoGreg screwed with this post 10-02-2011 at 08:35 AM
Old 10-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #1529
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,386
So, I installed the ICE-AIR yesterday on my 2003 R1150GS. Contrary to every piece of advice about only making one change to the bike at a time, I also installed the redesigned BMW handgrip/throttle cable assembly (which decreases effort at the throttle as compared to the original).

Wow. It's like a new bike. Thanks!
Old 10-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #1530
Parrothead
Cu Dubh

Oddometer: 431
Thanks Poolside & JJ!

And everyone else who watched and kibitzed through all the story. Got the IICE yesterday! T'anks mon!
"... You can go through life fudging and evading, indulging and slacking, never really hungry nor frightened nor passionately stirred, your highest moment a sentimental orgasm and your first real contact with primary and elemental necessities the sweat of your deathbed." - H.G Wells
Closed Thread