Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #1651
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruesome View Post
Sorry if this has been answered before, I read quite a few pages (but not all 110 of them...), and followed a few links, but didn't find the answer:
Is this fooling of the air temperature sensor needed because oxygen sensors are too slow to keep the optimal (stoichiometric) fuel/air ratio during acceleration?
In a word, no.
Using more words…

A good portion of the reason why these modifications are needed in the first place is because an oxygen sensor is being used, along with the cat-afterburner, and not due to response times.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
Old 10-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #1652
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruesome View Post

Sorry if this has been answered before, I read quite a few pages (but not all 110 of them...), and followed a few links, but didn't find the answer:

Is this fooling of the air temperature sensor needed because oxygen sensors are too slow to keep the optimal (stoichiometric) fuel/air ratio during acceleration?
Good question, I'm surprised it hasn't been asked before.

First, the purpose of the O2 sensor is to allow the ECU to control the oxygen levels in the exhaust, in order to supply the catalyst. The catalyst creates a chemical reaction between the oxygen and hydrocarbons in the exhaust, and will not function without the correct oxygen supply. The primary purpose of the O2 sensor is control of Exhaust Gas Oxygen (EGO), not the control of combustion mixture. Read that sentence again.

The motor has different operational ranges, or modes let's say. Acceleration is one of those modes. The ECU controls the exhaust oxygen differently based on which mode the motor is operating in.

Motor acceleration is always preceded by another control mode called Transient Throttle Enrichment, sometimes known as Throttle Tip-in. These two modes, Throttle Tip-in followed by Acceleration, create a difficult control problem. Let me explain.

The ECU must serve many masters. The drivability master, the power master, and most importantly the efficiency and emissions masters. These masters, or operational goals if you will, are at cross purposes with one and other. You know, it's one of those situations where you can't meet all the objectives at the same time.

Mostly how it plays out is Drivability is first to get sacrificed. Then Power is offered up, followed by Efficiency. Emissions is always spared because at the end of the day we all must obey the same God. The Emissions Regulators.

I don't think Emissions Regulations are a bad thing, I support them. I think we need more and stricter regulations. Regulations force the development of better motor control equipment and algorithms. There's a lot of spirited debate as to which ECU control algorithm is best, but history has shown one thing. As emissions regulations get tighter, ECUs get better at motor management, while sparing Drivability. (Speaking of poor drivability, do you remember the first few generations of emissions carburetors? And the first couple of rounds of motorcycle fuel injection?)

Wait, where was I going with this? Oh yea, Acceleration and Throttle Tip-in. Those two events create the most amount of exhaust emissions. And are difficult to control in a way that feels smooth and makes good power.

This is what the IICE Air and upcoming IICE Cool are for. Smoothness and power.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 10-28-2011, 04:28 AM   #1653
JohnZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Item received

JZ in New York here.

I have to say, you two guys--JJ and Poolside-- are models of comportment and persistance.

I'm looking forward to your next product.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:47 AM   #1654
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 860
Item received and performance report

Item received yesterday.

Plugged it in and went for a spirited ride.

Backfiring is virtually gone (my main goal/objective). I did manage to get one lil pop going down a long hill. Has stock muffler and Y-pipe. Motronic has the "Steptoe Jumper".

Acceleration has a more linear feel.

Idle is better. Often before it'd stumble and seek. That seems to be gone.

I didn't check the jumper but I'm assuming it is at the 20deg position which I seem to recall stated somewhere how'd be delivered.

Thanks Poolside and JJ. A bike I've liked a lot, I like even more now.
06' 650 Vstrom
Old 10-28-2011, 06:27 AM   #1655
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,218
Ah, fudge. My pony didn't make it. Maybe I can talk my wife into driving it to the Roll The Bones Rally. Hmmmm.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:32 AM   #1656
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Ah, fudge. My pony didn't make it. Maybe I can talk my wife into driving it to the Roll The Bones Rally. Hmmmm.
Just be happy you get to go to the Rally this weekend.....

I can't make it.
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #1657
Farnsrocket
Manos arribas!!!

Oddometer: 3,986
Wow, this definitely works!!!!
I was able to install it today and take a quick 20 minute ride around town.
It was about 50 degrees out and I left it on the stock setting 20.
It feels like I got a super tune up! Throttle is all go, no hesitation and it just wants to keep going!!!

I can't leave good enough alone.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #1658
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,497
So have any of the other IICE Airs in this last batch or any of the previous ones been installed yet?
Any ride impressions or comments?

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590

johnjen screwed with this post 11-01-2011 at 09:31 PM
Old 10-31-2011, 02:30 AM   #1659
Spoke
semi-feral teen

Oddometer: 780
R.H NY gizmo arrived

It arrived Friday along with freezing temps and snow. I'm guessing I won't install and test until spring 2012. Ouch!

It entered my blood in 1970 on a Honda QA50
Old 10-31-2011, 11:26 AM   #1660
Flyinguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Thumb

Mine arrived Thursday in NY. Installed it Friday morning before the ride to work. Sixty five miles each way.
I can tell you for certain that this is NOT going to help my gas mileage! Used the "as delivered" setting, OAT was between 35 and 40 F. Seat-of-the-pants testing, the bike felt smoother.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:36 PM   #1661
BostonGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen View Post
So have any of the other IICE Airz in this last batch or any of the previous ones been installed yet?
Any ride impressions or comments?

JJ
Got mine last week. I ran around Sunday after the storm past us here in Boston. Temp was in the mid 50's, original -20 settings. 2007 GSA with a valve job and TBS done about 4k ago with new plugs, fluids and filter changed a week ago. Idle is certainly smoother, but won't comment further until I have a few hundred mixed miles.

My hopes are that this will help with the throttle hesitation on acceleration...I don't give a shit about popping exhausts or nominal changes in MPG (up or down), but that delay in the acceleration has nearly landed me in a world of hurt more than once.

R
Old 10-31-2011, 01:05 PM   #1662
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGS View Post
...that delay in the acceleration has nearly landed me in a world of hurt more than once.
Same. There are situations when adding little throttle actually bogs the engine a little, very bad when you're trying to pick-up the bike with using the throttle.

--
Mikko
Old 10-31-2011, 03:37 PM   #1663
Flyinguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
When twisting the throttle is so much fun, it's hard to stay off the gas huh?

Old 10-31-2011, 03:44 PM   #1664
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinguy View Post

Mine arrived Thursday in NY. Installed it Friday morning before the ride to work. Sixty five miles each way.
I can tell you for certain that this is NOT going to help my gas mileage! Used the "as delivered" setting, OAT was between 35 and 40 F. Seat-of-the-pants testing, the bike felt smoother.
When twisting the throttle is so much fun, it's hard to stay off the gas huh?

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 10-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #1665
grpweld
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinguy View Post
Anything below 45-50 f & you should be on the 30* setting, imho