frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Does kissin the computer screen count?
Old 11-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #1757
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,604
Hey there folks. I had a little recreation planned for this 3-day weekend, but instead I'm honoring our Veterans by hanging out in the shop building IICE Airs. But don't cry for me Argentina, all things considered this was the better choice, (besides I'll feel better in the morning.)

I'll post up a progress report a little later, and an estimated ship date for this batch of 30.

Tallyho!

Thank you for your orders everyone! JJ and I appreciate it!

Thread in the Vendor forum:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667661

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 11-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #1758
richardas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Hey there folks. I had a little recreation planned for this 3-day weekend, but instead I'm honoring our Veterans by hanging out in the shop building IICE Airs.
This CTM1 USN (Ret) thanks you for working the weekend.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #1759
Spoke
feral teen

Oddometer: 765
So what happens if I'm out riding and I decide to adjust the ICEE Air and I loose the jumper? Will the bike run to get home?

It entered my blood in 1970 on a Honda QA50
Old 11-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #1760
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoke View Post
So what happens if I'm out riding and I decide to adjust the ICEE Air and I loose the jumper? Will the bike run to get home?
Just tighten it to the proper torque, and it won't come loose.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #1761
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 7,850
Well, I don't have to worry about losing the jumper . I don't know where the damn thing is.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #1762
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 14,835
If you lose the jumper there are 3 options
Run the bike in 'limp home mode' until you get another jumper.
or
Bend one of the outside jumpers (I'd do the 0 offset jumper myself) into the center jumper so that they touch. (which is functionally the same as the next option) Then push it out of the way when you get another jumper.
or
Unplug the IICE Air and run the stock air temp sensor until you get another jumper.

JJ
Old 11-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #1763
Spoke
feral teen

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Well, I don't have to worry about losing the jumper . I don't know where the damn thing is.
Oh come on sog, lift open the lid and look.

Johnjen said "If you lose the jumper there are 3 options
Run the bike in 'limp home mode' until you get another jumper.
or
Bend one of the outside jumpers (I'd do the 0 offset jumper myself) into the center jumper so that they touch. (which is functionally the same as the next option) Then push it out of the way when you get another jumper.
or
Unplug the IICE Air and run the stock air temp sensor until you get another jumper."

I like option 4, bring a spare jumper.

I have put about 250 miles on the ICEE Air over the last few days. Ambient temps ranging from 22-65 degrees Fahrenheit. I've been messing around with the jumper and realized that the little booger could get lost when removing and replacing it. I'm putting together a subjective, seat of the pants, no dyno, no variable control, and no scientific method used review and will post it tomorrow after work. I can hardly wait!

It entered my blood in 1970 on a Honda QA50
Old 11-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #1764
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 7,850
Does it take tools? They don't let me have tools. Maybe I could use a stick.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #1765
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen View Post

JJ and I both thought that bending the pins was a possible option if for some reason the jumper gets away from you. But yesterday I tried bending the pins together, just to see what would happen. Here's what I discovered...

DO NOT PURPOSELY BEND THE JUMPER PINS, for a couple of reasons.

First, it doesn't work. You can bend the two pins together until they touch, but as soon as you let go of the pins they'll spring apart a little. They will not remain in contact because of that 'springback'.

Second, the pins cannot be bent back straight, there will be a little 'waviness' to the pin from being bent and straightened. In addition, the spacing between the pins must be fairly exact. Because of those two things the jumper may not make good contact.

The third point is sort of moot. If you do not use smooth jaw pliers, the surface of the pins will be damaged and will subsequently damage the jumper. But you're not supposed to be bending the pins in the first place.

I suppose there's a good thing in the mix. If you bend the pins you'll have to buy another IICE Air. Marketing will like that.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 11-14-2011 at 05:13 AM
Old 11-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #1766
Poolside OP
Syndicated

What to do if you lose the jumper...

If you happen to lose the jumper, and don't know what to do, any of these things below will work as a temporary solution. I'm thinking it would be best to start at the top.

1. BE PROACTIVE! Get some jumpers from your IT Department at work, and keep them on the bike. NOTE: The jumper that comes with the IICE Air has a little tab on it to make it easier to hold. The jumper you get from IT or Radio Shack will probably not have the tab, it will work fine.

2. Just ride the bike home without the jumper. Or ride to Radio Shack or a computer store and get some jumpers.

3. Reconnect the Intake Air Temperature sensor.

4. Just leave the IICE Air adjusted to the -20 setting. It works great at the -20 setting. It leaves here set to -20. And really, the primary reason for the adjustment in the first place was so that it will work with the upcoming IICE Cool. The IICE Air needs to be set to -10 to work with the future IICE Cool product.

5. Tie a short piece of fishing line or unwaxed dental floss unwaxed to the jumper as a sort of leash. Did I mention to use unwaxed dental floss? Do not use waxed dental floss, the wax will contaminate the pins. If you try the leash method, be sure the leash isn't trapped under the cap seal when you snap the lid closed.

6. Someone shared the idea to make a temporary jumper out of tin foil. It might be tricky to get the foil in there and only contact 2 pins, but it would work, and there's no reason not to try. But really, for the best solution try to stay near the top of the list.

Poolside screwed with this post 11-14-2011 at 05:14 AM
Old 11-13-2011, 10:08 PM   #1767
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoke View Post

Yes it will. And see the above 2 posts for more ideas.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:06 AM   #1768
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Quote:

DO NOT PURPOSELY BEND THE JUMPER PINS, for a couple of reasons.

I suppose there's a good thing in the mix. If you bend the pins you'll have to buy another IICE Air. Marketing will like that.

Go figure Marketing suggested bending the pins.
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:20 AM   #1769
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Dr View Post

Go figure Marketing suggested bending the pins.
Oh no, I did not mean to imply, or even hint at anything. Just making a little joke.
I put a smiley in there and everything.

Seriously, we both thought bending the pins seemed viable, until I tried it that is.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:01 AM   #1770
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Oh no, I did not mean to imply, or even hint at anything. Just making a little joke.
I put a smiley in there and everything.

Seriously, we both thought bending the pins seemed viable, until I tried it that is.

Thats why I laughed!
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Closed Thread