Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #2026
heetseeker
Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer: 370
want one

Poolside,

I'll take one if it's not too late...

Let me know and i'll Paypal you the $$ right away.

PDMC 38x
Old 12-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #2027
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
Poolside,

I'll take one if it's not too late...

Let me know and i'll Paypal you the $$ right away.
Go here to order your IICE Air, just click the paypal button

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667661

JJ
Old 12-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #2028
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,700

OK. Did everyone order an IICE Air that wants one?

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 12-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #2029
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Thanks for your recent orders everyone! We appreciate it.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 12-12-2011, 11:46 PM   #2030
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,208
And while wearing my MARKETING Hat…

The IICE Air makes a terrific stocking stuffer for that oh so deserving motohead in all of us (especially if you wind up giving it to yourself ).

Besides it'll be that one truly useful gift of the season and WAY better than the usual tie or pair of socks…

JJ
Old 12-13-2011, 05:30 AM   #2031
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,940
Open Closed Loop & Cut-Off Data

This is a fantastic (and long) thread. Poolside and JJ have done a lot of good, interesting stuff. I'm doing some research of my own but not planning to build or sell anything. I buy into the Open Loop performance of IICE Air but already have a BoosterPlug, maybe I'll upgrade when I learn more about IICE Cool.

In the meantime, my project has collected a lot of Open/Closed Loop and Cut-Off data. After seeing this chart, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=146, I thought some of my data might be relevant.

If you look at the charts and info here, O2 Project near the bottom of the page (and elsewhere in the thread), you can see that there are times during acceleration when my '04 RT is Closed Loop. Also, the fuel cuts off to zero quite often on deceleration.

RB
Old 12-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #2032
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
This is a fantastic (and long) thread. Poolside and JJ have done a lot of good, interesting stuff. I'm doing some research of my own but not planning to build or sell anything. I buy into the Open Loop performance of IICE Air but already have a BoosterPlug, maybe I'll upgrade when I learn more about IICE Cool.

In the meantime, my project has collected a lot of Open/Closed Loop and Cut-Off data. After seeing this chart, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=146, I thought some of my data might be relevant.

If you look at the charts and info here, O2 Project near the bottom of the page (and elsewhere in the thread), you can see that there are times during acceleration when my '04 RT is Closed Loop. Also, the fuel cuts off to zero quite often on deceleration.

RB
The images in that bmwmoa thread aren't shown to non-members. Can you post them here, or in a new thread?
Old 12-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #2033
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
The images in that bmwmoa thread aren't shown to non-members. Can you post them here, or in a new thread?
Forgot that, will do.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #2034
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Remeber

Quote:

RB
Roger,

I also have a Booster Plug installed in my GSA. But remember to use the IICE Cool you must have the IICE installed. The time to purchase and the manufacturing of the IICE is about at an end. As I understand it the Cool is not a stand-alone device.

I have ordered a IICE to replace my Booster Plug mostly because the IICE gives me options and to allow me to purchase and use the Cool when it becomes available. Yes the BP has worked, but I anticipate that the IICE and Cool will future improve engine management. I am not a "gadget for gadget sake" person but need all the help I can get for smooth off road throttle control and riding at slow speeds. Since I ride alone and only off road, when I go "bang" it can be serious.

Hey, I could be wrong!
Old 12-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #2035
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,025
Quote:
Hey, I could be wrong!

Nope, Phil. I think you got it spot on. I have been thinking about buying two as stocking stuffers for "slow to pull the trigger" friends for that very reason.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 12-13-2011 at 02:12 PM
Old 12-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #2036
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Assembly and Final Sale report.

Some of you have noticed that the 'Add to Cart' button is still working. Two people made purchases today. Here's the deal on that. I'm sick right now and I'm taking a couple days, so I'm leaving the 'Order Desk' open.

For anyone who's interested, last night I woke up with a close to 103 fever and a couple of swollen and painful lymph nodes behind my left ear and back of my head. This morning the fever was down a bit and I go to the doctor today and he says, "Hey, you have swollen lymph nodes and a fever." We have a good laugh over that one. I tell him I ate some harvested mushrooms at dinner the day before and of course he says "Maybe it was the mushrooms?", with another good laugh. I gotta tell you, these guys are worth every penny.

The doctor says, "If it keeps improving just forget about it, and I'll see you again in another 12 years." It's good to know that it was a random infection of some sort. I'm feeling pretty good now but I'm going to take another day. And then I still have some roof maintenance to finish. Give that, and since I'm not doing anything IICE Air related just now, let's say the order desk will remain open till Friday.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #2037
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
For anyone who's interested, last night I woke up with a close to 103 fever and a couple of swollen and painful lymph nodes behind my left ear and back of my head. This morning the fever was down a bit and I go to the doctor today and he says, "Hey, you have swollen lymph nodes and a fever." We have a good laugh over that one. I tell him I ate some harvested mushrooms at dinner the day before and of course he says "Maybe it was the mushrooms?", with another good laugh. I gotta tell you, these guys are worth every penny.

Rest up -you've deserved it.

Then again, maybe you need an IICE Cool to help with that fever.......
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #2038
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Lime View Post

Rest up -you've deserved it.

Then again, maybe you need an IICE Cool to help with that fever.......
Heh heh, thanks!

Note: For anyone who'd like to know, the Final Sale orders are at 111.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #2039
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:

Hey there Roger, thanks for chiming in, and we appreciate the kudos.

All public discussion regarding drivability and performance is welcome here. I read your posts on the MOA site, and wish I could see the images. I'm sure many here would as well. I understand you are planning to start a thread on the topic, when you do please post a link here. I'm sure there will be a good amount of information crossover.

Edit: Here is Roger's thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749080

What Roger is doing is fitting wide band O2 sensors (aka: Wideband Exhaust Gas Oxygen or WEGO for short) in place of the narrow band Original Equipment O2 sensors (aka: Exhaust Gas Oxygen or EGO for short).

The WEGO sensor that Roger is using has an electronic controller to convert the sensor output to a useable output for aftermarket ECUs. The WEGO sensor output cannot be directly connected to the stock ECU because the output voltage of the wideband sensor is very different than the narrow band output voltage. However the control electronics for the WEGO sensor have what's called a 'virtual narrow band' output available.

The 'virtual narrow band' output is just like it sounds. The WEGO controller takes the wideband output and converts it to a narrow band output. Call it a 'reproduction' of the usual narrow band EGO output voltage. This virtual narrow band output can be directly connected to the stock ECU.

Roger's observation of various operational ranges where the ECU operates in 'closed loop' is accurate. For those of you that have been following along in this thread, generally speaking the ECU goes into closed loop during both Transient Throttle movements, and during Acceleration. So far we've been describing the border between open loop and closed loop as a sort of clearly-defined and always-true state change. A state change from closed loop to open loop based solely on acceleration, any acceleration.

Here comes some added complexity. Acceleration comes in two flavors, Steady State Acceleration, and we'll call it Varying Acceleration. If the ECU has enough processing power, then Steady State Acceleration can sometimes be in closed loop. It all depends on the objective the designer is going for.

An O2 sensor device is on our list of future IICE products. When that time came we would have had a big discussion of open loop vs. closed loop ECU operation. Maybe we'll get into it a little now.

Poolside screwed with this post 12-13-2011 at 10:21 PM
Old 12-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #2040
Happy Wanderer
Day Dreaming.. .

Oddometer: 194
Been following this IIce Air thread with great interest. Roger's thread over on the MOA site is also really interesting. I was very surprised to see the amount of time the ECU spends in closed loop under throttle and load conditions where I would not expect it to be doing so. As Poolside says, this is a lot more complicated than it appears. Like Roger, I am using a Booster Plug right now which creates a -20 C offset in air temp and while it does help with surging somewhat, it does not eliminate it by any means.

There's been a lot of great comments and reports about improved throttle response, acceleration and also better idle with the IIce Air. On my 1100 RT I don't have much issue with any of these facets of performance but I do have very noticeable surging issues, especially at steady throttle and lower RPM. Typical for these bikes.

Has anyone with an 1100 noticed any improvement specifically with surging with the IIce Air installed so far?
Closed Thread