Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #2056
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerwrench View Post
Finallly! Work will now get started on my IICE Cool!
lol. The one we can't order yet? I'm anxious , too but he'll get to the Cool. Directly. I'm having a whole lot of fun trying to blow my bike up with product one. lol Sure is running good at 36-50 degrees on -20.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 12-17-2011 at 06:14 PM
Old 12-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #2057
heetseeker
Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer: 370
Thanks

Just wanted to say Thank You for developing a great product for fellow FF's. Don't break your back sending mine out. I'm not in a hurry at all.

PDMC 38x
Old 12-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #2058
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,239
Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
Just wanted to say Thank You for developing a great product for fellow FF's. Don't break your back sending mine out. I'm not in a hurry at all.
Yup, a big Ditto from a fellow FF! Enjoy what we have. And to the young man from People's Park, there is a ton of tech info on the development and use of the IICE in the over 2,000 posts in this thread.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:16 PM   #2059
J-Dub
Combat Commuter

Oddometer: 254
Kudos!

Me too! It's been hard to put into words what exactly this thing has done for the bike when I try to describe it to my friends, other than it makes an already fun bike even better. Thanks for doing this. I know it wasn't for the huge profits. You guys rock!
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1965 Triumph TR-6 S/R
Old 12-18-2011, 01:56 PM   #2060
Spike38
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Hello,
Ordered Nov 7th and have yet to get my part. Any idea when it will ship.
Thanks Mike
Old 12-19-2011, 06:16 AM   #2061
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Old 12-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #2062
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,851
Holiday Season 2011 Assembly report.

Ok, based on the number of Holiday parties I've been to this month I can officially say the the economy is improving! Seriously, there's been more Holiday festivites in the past 3 weeks than over the previous 3 years. I mean, by informal invitation and hangover tally anyway.

I got together with some old friends that I haven't seen for many years. A couple of them have teenage kids now, so it's been a while. This Holiday Season is going to be a memorable one. 'Tis the season to be jolly, and all that! But besides all the spiked egg nog, what's going on over at IICE HQ?

This last batch of the original orders is finally sitting in the first step epoxy cure. The second epoxy cure step will start tomorrow afternoon. Parts are being ordered for the BIG Final Sale build. It looks like everything is in stock and should all be here in a week or so, given the usual seasonal closed-days and shipping delays.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 12-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #2063
Autobahn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Worth the 8-month wait?

Any sarcasm is (mostly) in jest.

My order was confirmed at the end of March. The package arrived sometime in November (I was in Japan or L.A. when it was delivered). Exclusivity and leadtime go hand-in-hand. I have been spoiled by Amazon Prime delivering my orders within 48 hours. And they don't tease me for 8 months with periodic pics of the products actually being assembled (which is understandable since most things I order are probably assembled by child labor in Shenzhen). And Amazon does not provide a 100+ page thread (updated daily) to let me know how great my product will be.

By mid-summer, I almost gave up and placed my coveted confirmed order "for sale" in the Flea Market. My motorcycle runs fine as-is, and given the buyer's frenzy, I was hoping to double or triple my investment. But being a risk-taker, I decided to wait. Patience is a virtue....

Worth the wait????

Due to a death in the family, I was not able to install it until yesterday. Installation was a breeze. Although based on the number of posts asking for installation instructions, I would recommend a half-page installation sheet be thrown in the poly bag. The pics in previous posts are vague or customers would not be asking for more.

Finally it was installed. 8 months of anticipation would end with the push of a button. The engine came to life. Hesitating. Smelled fuel....running rich? Severe hesitation when twisting the throttle. Finally coughed and died. This motorcycle has never stalled. Started it again. Better this time. Let it run for a few minutes and it smoothed out. Throttle became more responsive. Shut it down and started it up again. Seems to be fine. Does the ECU need to "learn" the new sensor? I assumed that one of the connectors was not seated, but it eventually smoothed out.

I went for a short ride to make sure it was really OK before heading out into the KY hills. The temperature was 45-50 degrees and I left the jumper in the original setting. I rode approximately 100 miles. Initial impressions? WOW!

- Throttle response is quicker and smoother.
- Rolling off the throttle is much less abrupt.
- I never experienced any significant surge on this bike, but the response is now much more linear.
- I have a Leo Vince exhaust which magnified the decel popping when I did not completely roll off the throttle. Now the popping is virtually gone.
- This sounds ridiculous, but the bike seems about 100 lbs lighter.

I know that powertrain management is complex and a series of trade-offs, but this relatively "simple" change really surprised me. Worth the wait? Yes. Definitely.

I don't mean to armchair quarterback. The product works. Perhaps cash flow was an issue, but my only recommendation would be to confirm the design/production process and build a few batches prior to taking orders.

My Before Pic....

Camera could not focus on the After Pic .

Autobahn screwed with this post 12-19-2011 at 07:33 PM
Old 12-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #2064
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn View Post

My order was confirmed at the end of March. The package arrived sometime in November. Exclusivity and leadtime go hand-in-hand.

I have been spoiled by Amazon Prime delivering my orders within 48 hours. And they don't tease me for 8 months with periodic pics of the products being assembled [and also don't] provide a 100+ page thread to let me know how great my product will be.

I don't mean to armchair quarterback. The product works. Perhaps cash flow was an issue, but my only recommendation would be to confirm the design/production process and build a few batches prior to taking orders.
Yes. And we're going to tempt you with more things, just you wait.

Whenever JJ and I think about it, we both doubt the project would have happened had we known what the problems were going to be.

I appreciate your comments. We share your desire to have it go easier. It wasn't as easy as that. But I'll be darned if it didn't look that way on the front end!

Monday morning quarterbacking says the problem was a nexus of too many different electrical and mechanical requirements, each at cross-purposes, in a one half cubic inch space. Well, that and the whole project was scheduled into a slow period between contracts. After that period ended, everything else was done in spare time.

Now going in, it didn't look that way. Each requirement was straightforward enough, but put them all together in a small space, and you have your long lead time.

Compared to a retail product, the IICE Air is a build-to-order project, and a group-buy project, all rolled into one.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 12-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #2065
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn View Post

Worth the wait????

I went for a short ride to make sure it was really OK before heading out into the KY hills. The temperature was 45-50 degrees and I left the jumper in the original setting. I rode approximately 100 miles. Initial impressions? WOW!

- Throttle response is quicker and smoother.
- Rolling off the throttle is much less abrupt.
- I never experienced any significant surge on this bike, but the response is now much more linear.
- I have a Leo Vince exhaust which magnified the decel popping when I did not completely roll off the throttle. Now the popping is virtually gone.
- This sounds ridiculous, but the bike seems about 100 lbs lighter.

I know that powertrain management is complex and a series of trade-offs, but this relatively "simple" change really surprised me. Worth the wait? Yes. Definitely.

My Before Pic....

Camera could not focus on the After Pic .
Thanks for your review, Autobahn. (And thanks for understanding the liberty I took with editing your full post.)

I know the IICE Air is worth the wait, but you couldn't know that before hand. Sorry to put you through it just the same.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:58 AM   #2066
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Whenever JJ and I think about it, we both doubt the project would have happened had we known what the problems were going to be.

I appreciate your comments. We share your desire to have it go easier. It wasn't as easy as that. But I'll be darned if it didn't look that way on the front end!
I've had my gizmo for a while now (I guess I was one of the first to order) so my view may be slightly different, but I've actually enjoyed watching the process you've gone through. You could probably teach a graduate level course on product engineering from the data you've gathered.

I can't wait for the order button to show up for the ICE Cool product.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:52 AM   #2067
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Well guys, I kept waiting for y'all to pull the plug on the project as the complications arose. And became sorely afraid a time or two.

I have to think the good humor expressed by 90+% of the waiting customers (those that realized what they were getting into with you two fellers ) helped immensely in convincing y'all to keep plugging on through the process.

I sure want that good humor to continue as I needs me that next gofasternugen widget.

So, in other words, if you are waiting.........please keep smiling. This has been a truly custom build process, not McDonald's. Please (Hey, dammit. I said "please".) don't screw this up by being pissy now. And you can take solace in the fact that your wait will be much shorter than ours was. lol

Happy Holidays.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 12-20-2011 at 06:23 PM
Old 12-20-2011, 07:25 PM   #2068
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Well guys, I kept waiting for y'all to pull the plug on the project as the complications arose. And became sorely afraid a time or two.

I have to think the good humor expressed by 90+% of the waiting customers (those that realized what they were getting into with you two fellers ) helped immensely in convincing y'all to keep plugging on through the process.

I sure want that good humor to continue as I needs me that next gofasternugen widget.

So, in other words, if you are waiting.........please keep smiling. This has been a truly custom build process, not McDonald's. Please (Hey, dammit. I said "please".) don't screw this up by being pissy now. And you can take solace in the fact that your wait will be much shorter than ours was. lol

Happy Holidays.
+1 to that. Happy Holidays JJ and Poolside! May the next project have as few hiccups as this one had as many.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #2069
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post

Hey there, SOG. I read your post a couple of times before realizing you weren't talking about me getting pissy! Like maybe I didn't put enough smileys in that last post.

You're right. You fellas comments, and guys like Autobahn and many many others that take the time to go into detail, do keep it light and make it fun. When all is said and done that's mainly why we're doing this. Because in many ways it is enjoyable.

When JJ and I talk about the upcoming projects he often says to me that I sound like Peter Sellers in the Pink Panther when he says "I accept the shhal-laange! (challenge)" We always have a good laugh over that one.

Happy Holidays to all you folks!

Poolside screwed with this post 12-20-2011 at 08:54 PM
Old 12-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #2070
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Hey, Poolside. Sorry for the momentary confusion but iffin' I wanted to insult you...you'd know it. lol. I'm about as subtle as a brick. Nope. Just complimenting y'all for "sticking to the mission". Eye on the prize. Follow-through. And I'm not so subtly sending a message to my brethren (and sistren?) not to eff up the next project before it gets started good. Most importantly - My Very Own Ice Cool.

Oh, and it has to be for love of a challenge 'cuz you don't want to figure your hourly rate on this one. I believe the gals in the Nicaraguan T-shirt factory may be kicking your ass. So, don't be doing that math any time soon. O.K.?

slowoldguy screwed with this post 12-20-2011 at 08:41 PM
Closed Thread