Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 07:58 AM   #2086
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72 View Post

A sudden crack of the throttle would actually make the engine choke and sputter on to much fuel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post

Now that's a reason to change the setting. Did that go away after the change? I'm set at -20 and have had no such problems.
Hey there bracky. What happens with no IICE Air temp offset? In other words, with the jumper set to -0C, (aka: no offset).

A clarification. The issue you're describing as "sudden crack of the throttle" is the operational state called Transient Throttle. The IICE Air does very little to change Transient Throttle fueling. That's the domain of the IICE Cool.

Here's something to understand about an overabundance of transient fueling, verses a shortage of transient fueling. As far as its effect on power goes, too little transient fuel feels virtually the same as too much transient fuel.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 12-31-2011 at 10:26 PM
Old 12-31-2011, 03:59 PM   #2087
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,323
O.K.. Fresh report on mpg. Rode with a friend on his stocker KLR with D606's today, maybe 60/40 un-paved/paved. Last ride out west with the nuts I ride with yielded 31.6 overall average (and that included at least 40 miles riding with an LEO directly in front of us). Today, 39.2 and we weren't poking on the dirt (but we kept it down on the street to 70-75, maybe 80 to help out the dirt tires).

Once I left him and headed home by myself, I reset and got 35.4. lol

Yup. I'm still thinking the right wrist is the key. lol
Old 01-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #2088
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Testing 1 2 3

Quote:

Yup. I'm still thinking the right wrist is the key. lol
Exactly.

The thing about miles per gallon results is, it's sort of like asking, "How many miles did you get out of that tire?" Or maybe more like asking, "How high is up?" Now, I'm not discounting independent MPG reports, I just don't use them as a reference is all.

The reason I say that is, for any sort of experimental comparison to be valid requires that every condition of the test be repeated. Of course, some external conditions cannot be controlled. But for the sake of conversation, say that the condition variables can at least be meticulously accounted for. You know, enough to get you into the game. Once you get the variables mapped out enough to establish a protocol, repeat the experiment 7 to 9 times and average the results.

All that just to get one set of passable or 'close enough' data. That sort of controlled discipline and and detail isn't the sort of thing that most people would want to do. What generally happens is that somebody does something for 10 minutes and says "That's my result." I can't fault that sort of thing, but I don't know that it has much credence either.

Besides, where are you fellas getting your MPG numbers from? From the BMW fuel computer? Made by the same people who brought you the fuel gauge, right? Heh heh.

If there is a bottom line, here's a candidate. I know what the IICE Air does to the ECU fueling profile, and if you think about it, so do all of you. If you operate the motor exactly the same way as before fitting the IICE Air, then the MPG difference is a few percent. Say the difference between 200 miles, and 205 miles. For uncontrolled MPG tests, that small difference is about one fifth of the noise.

Of course, after you fit the IICE Air on your bike good luck in twisting the throttle the same way as before.

p.s.: Happy New Year everyone!

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 01-02-2012 at 12:16 AM
Old 01-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #2089
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,630
I am late to the party again. I just got mine installed. PS . My flat spot between 4 - 5K is GONE. I have noticed that the front wheel now seems light accelerating through 2nd gear.

A side benefit is I no longer get any decel back fires. I do think that my fuel mileage is going to go to shit. Not because, well maybe, because I really love twisting the throttle a lot harder now.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Old 01-03-2012, 01:08 AM   #2090
KSBEERHUNTER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
I have tried the Steptoe jumper wire on my 1150. The position of the wire makes a lot of difference how the engine runs. I think the fuel controllers and the offerings from poolside add fuel? I would like to understand better what BMW programmed into the computer that the jumper wires open up. My 01 1150 gs does not have the "plug" that some have in later years. I played around with the Steptoe jumper wire and did greatly change how the engine runs. It can run like a diesel engine down low and not need to be rapped up more than 3,000 rpm with one setting. Other settings help the mid and high ranges which I don't need. I don't know where I am going with this but, I can say that the Steptoe jumper wire option is still out there and can change dramaticly the way the engine behaves. I would like to read what Steptoe thinks about Poolside's products. Yes, I have ordered products from Poolside. I have not received or installed as yet. I just am ignorant about electronics and fuel injection computers etc. and want to understand all options available.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #2091
sati8d
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Thumb Finally got my ICE II Air

Thanks - Happy New Year. I installed it in about 2.5 minutes. I'll report the findings over the rest of the week.
My EU Accelerator was good - my bike would accelerate to a wheelie in 1st and go light front wheel popping into 2nd... the bike's just starting to really break in at 19500 miles and is becoming VERY fun to ride.
As there's no instructions...
Keep it in stock position "-20C" until the temps get over 100degs - right?
I'm riding in some pretty cold wx in the 20's. what pos do you recommend?
Do I understand this? -20 to 0 to +20 is the range - right? I only see two positions for the jumper and I'm assuming -20/+20. Is that correct?

Ride Report - Commuting to work in 27degs. My initial impressions:
Bike seems throatier. Acceleration is snappy. Smoother power sweep 3500-5000 (that power boost at 4250 is all smoothed out - just smooth power.). Smoother running in 4th and 5th - didn't realize it and had to finish shifting to 6th to cruise. Before, staying in 4th was too raspy. Now it's smooth. Same acceleration smiles - my gas mileage will go down as I'm having fun twisting it up....damn fun!

Why is this one different from the EU Accelerator model?

TC

'09 R1200 GS Adv, '82 750 VFR, '84 XT 600'76 TT50, '74 Fantic Enduro 50cc
Old 01-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #2092
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,322
Are you shipping out the final orders yet?
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 01-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #2093
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Package in the mailbox said "MotoFab"...huh whats this? Then I opened it .Visions of wheelies spun thru my mind.This Thurs.and Fri. will be in the 40s and 50s....owwww yeaaa!
Old 01-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #2094
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,323
sati, there are 4 positions. 0, -10, -20, -30.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #2095
sati8d
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
sati, there are 4 positions. 0, -10, -20, -30.
Thanks - as it's in the 20's here, should I go to -30?
bike was riding pretty strong today!!!

TC

Old 01-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #2096
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by sati8d View Post

Keep it in stock position "-20C" until the temps get over 100degs - right?
I'm riding in some pretty cold wx in the 20's. What [jumper position] do you recommend? Do I understand this? -20 to 0 to +20 is the range - right?
I usually suggest to leave it set to -20C for a month or so. Then try another setting if you want to make a comparison. It may be hard to tell the difference if you make changes often. The BIGGEST noticeable difference the before and after!

I only see two positions for the jumper and I'm assuming -20/+20. Is that correct?
Check the first post in this thread for a list of Informative Links. There's a section called 'How do I adjust the IICE Air temperature settings?' The first link in that section has an jumper setting illustration.

Ride Report - Commuting to work in 27degs. My initial impressions:
Bike seems throatier. Acceleration is snappy. Smoother power sweep 3500-5000 (that power boost at 4250 is all smoothed out - just smooth power.). Smoother running in 4th and 5th - didn't realize it and had to finish shifting to 6th to cruise. Before, staying in 4th was too raspy. Now it's smooth. Same acceleration smiles - my gas mileage will go down as I'm having fun twisting it up....damn fun!

Why is this one different from the EU Accelerator model?
Nice! That little bit of fuel makes all the difference doesn't it!

I don't know if or why the IICE Air would work any better than the competitive products. You're not the first person to say that though. There could be differences in component selection between the various products, but other than that I don't have a guess. Not that I'm complaining or anything mind you. :-)

Old 01-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #2097
Lawrenre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Will I ever see one...

When will I see mine??? I want it, I want it, I want it...
Old 01-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #2098
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrenre View Post
When will I see mine??? I want it, I want it, I want it...
Your wait will be well rewarded.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Old 01-04-2012, 02:44 AM   #2099
sati8d
Gnarly Adventurer

Marketing Costs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Nice! That little bit of fuel makes all the difference doesn't it!

I don't know if or why the IICE Air would work any better than the competitive products. You're not the first person to say that though. There could be differences in component selection between the various products, but other than that I don't have a guess. Not that I'm complaining or anything mind you. :-)

That bit of free marketing will cost you $2.99

TC

Old 01-04-2012, 05:07 AM   #2100
Poolside OP
Syndicated

 Ok. Marketing is in charge of all media buys.

Closed Thread