Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 06:56 AM   #2176
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
That's a mighty big lake.

Just a bit of trivia -- the Philippine Islands have 50x as much coastline as the US. Lakes not included
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
Old 01-22-2012, 07:11 AM   #2177
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
Your input and experience has helped me try to wrap my mind around when to use what setting on the IICE.

Much is counter intuitive to me also. But as JJ said, if I get this correct, it is about the fuel vaporization vs temp.

And I assume fooling the BMW by -10 in high vaporization/ high temp introduces a slightly richer mix cuz most of the fuel is being vaporized and less additional fuel is needed..... as opposed to a -30 fake out which dumps more fuel when less is being vaporized [low temp] and hence the engine needs more fuel not less.

It still is counter intuitive to me since I have always envisioned the air density vs fuel ratio as the critical relationship and by putting more fuel in under lower air temps [denser] you will get more vapor to ignite by shear fuel volume increase but also this means more raw fuel [overly rich] to wash down cylinders and get into lubricant.

Damn I wished I had a clear image of how each setting works so that I could adjust the settings to meet my needs. I feel like Dumber of Dumb and Dumber.

Ps....Humidity where you are is probably slightly above our 10-20% here during Summer That at some level enters into this fuel/air discussion as well.

PPs..No, I have not received my IICE yet; but then again it is snowing hard here now.

You're welcome Phil

But don't sweat it. Many times, theory does not follow practice in the real world. I'm guessing in the end you'll be just like me -- trying all the adjustments and choosing what feels best to you. Each bike is unique even if the models are exactly the same. I just feel lucky that -10 feels best for me. That really sets me up for the forthcoming IICE Cool.

Dunno if this even helps since this is only a guess. BP claims that its -20 setting increases fuel delivery by 6%. Simple ratio says -10 would be 3% and -30 would be 9%.

Are you kidding me? This is equatorial Asia. Height of summer humidity can reach close to 90% Now I have no idea how that gets into play with the IICE Air, if it even does.
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
Old 01-22-2012, 07:19 AM   #2178
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadless View Post
Are you running the stock exhaust and/or any other mods?

I've been running Leo Vince cat-eliminator headers with the stock muffler. That gives me the best performance. I once tried on an LV titanium muffler but it was obviously a poor match for the cat-eliminator system in terms of overall performance. The only thing I likes about the LV muffler was the sound it makes

The above was true during the time I was using the BP and now, with the IICE Air at its -10 setting.

Other mod is my Lennie's Sprockets, which I always found to compliment the BP well, and now, the IICE.
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
Old 01-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #2179
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
If your bike is performing similar at -10 as the average bike does at -20 then I believe you will actually not want to use it at all once you get the cool or it will run to rich. I say this because apparently once an average user gets the cool they need to set their air to -10 leaning things up a bit from just using the air alone. Since you are already getting desired operation at -10 once you add the cool you need to lean it up thus no air device at all.

I'm horrible at explaining things so I hope you understand. :)
Old 01-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #2180
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,842
I Think...Always a Problem For Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72 View Post
If your bike is performing similar at -10 as the average bike does at -20 then I believe you will actually not want to use it at all once you get the cool or it will run to rich. I say this because apparently once an average user gets the cool they need to set their air to -10 leaning things up a bit from just using the air alone. Since you are already getting desired operation at -10 once you add the cool you need to lean it up thus no air device at all.

I'm horrible at explaining things so I hope you understand. :)
Hey I think that the IICE and the Cool are focused on two different aspects of the throttle/fuel operation; Cool on intial throttle "tip in" and the IICE on the rest. I also believe that PS recently stated that in fact you could use the Cool without the IICE but your results would not be anywhere as good. But hey, I am often confused!
Old 01-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #2181
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Quote:
Hey I think that the IICE and the Cool are focused on two different aspects of the throttle/fuel operation; Cool on intial throttle "tip in" and the IICE on the rest. I also believe that PS recently stated that in fact you could use the Cool without the IICE but your results would not be anywhere as good. But hey, I am often confused!

That is correct.

The Air works on the mixture enrichment over the whole range while the Cool works on the transient fueling issues (which primarily causes the jerkiness of the bike at off-idle throttle positions).
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
Old 01-23-2012, 06:26 AM   #2182
mag00
Outa Control Dave

Oddometer: 414
Any idea when the next group will ship??
09 R1200GSA
IBA #25226
Old 01-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #2183
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,604
Assembly report.

What's going on folks? Here's what's happening. My life got ahold of my free time over the past couple of weeks. To compensate, I'm currently working on a batch of 100 IICE Airs.

Normally I do batches of 30 from start to finish. But I need an uninterrupted period to do the epoxy potting steps. All the other assembly steps can be done in fits and starts. So I'm getting all but the potting steps done in short bursts.

You guys have been busy with some posts. There were some real temperature-setting confabs! I have a few answers for you, but there's an excerpt from OCJ that covers the majority of it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opposedcyljunkie

But the differences are so minute that I found that adjusting it based on what the current temps are more of a waste of time and effort than anything else.
That's really the deal right there. You can obsess about the exact temperature that you think you must do this that or the other. But really the thing to do on a stock bike is leave it at the -20° setting. (I mean, unless you prefer one of the other settings. Or find that another setting works better with the mods you did to your bike.)

But let me be clear, I don't want to push anyone into anything. And I realize that 'leaving it alone' may go against the grain of any career fidgeters out there.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 01-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #2184
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
Depends whether you have an aftermarket exhaust or not.
Stock muffler
Old 01-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #2185
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogy View Post
Stock muffler
Then I would say yes, you should put the pink CCP back in.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 01-26-2012, 01:18 AM   #2186
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opposedcyljunkie View Post

That is correct.

The Air works on the mixture enrichment over the whole range while the Cool works on the transient fueling issues (which primarily causes the jerkiness of the bike at off-idle throttle positions).
Yes, that's how the Cool works. When you advance the throttle, aka throttle tip in, the ECU provides an additional shot of Transient Fuel. Transient as in 'transient throttle movement'. The extra shot of fuel mimics the carburettor accelerator pump. Transient fuel is necessary both for good drivability, and to keep the motor from stalling if the throttle is quickly opened by a large amount when the motor is at low RPM. The IICE Cool causes the ECU to increase the transient fuel shot.

The main reason the IICE Air is adjustable is that it has to be. When the IICE Air is installed by itself, the -20° setting is most often the best result. But when the IICE Cool is partnered with the Air, the -10° setting is required or the combination of the two devices results in a too rich mixture.

I appreciate that some of you guys go to such great detail and pore over every element.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 01-26-2012, 01:31 AM   #2187
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

I was lugging along @ low RPM in 1st gear today, when I somehow bumped my throttle hand.
Sweet lofted-mono jeebus, the bike surely did respond.
Nice. I remember the first time, it was sure a surprise. I was tooling along in stop-and-go traffic at 3000rpm in 1st. Started a lane change and whacked the throttle open while looking to the side, and saw the earth slowly tilt. It's kind of a trip to wheelie the worlds largest enduro.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:03 AM   #2188
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 14,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Nice. I remember the first time, it was sure a surprise. I was tooling along in stop-and-go traffic at 3000rpm in 1st. Started a lane change and whacked the throttle open while looking to the side, and saw the earth slowly tilt. It's kind of a trip to wheelie the worlds largest enduro.

So it's all your fault…

You're causing the poles to shift and making the "earth slowly tilt"…

JJ
Old 01-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #2189
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post

Now that was from 3000rpm, way past the throttle tip-in stage. I wonder how the results would be if you whacked the throttle from zero throttle position? Would it cause some jerkiness first then followed by loads of power?
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
Old 01-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #2190
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:

Now that was from 3000rpm, way past the throttle tip-in stage. I wonder how the results would be if you whacked the throttle from zero throttle position?
Throttle tip-in refers to any time the throttle is advanced. From any starting throttle angle, to any larger throttle angle. 10 percent to 60 percent for example, 53 to 67, 0 to 38, etc. Any throttle advance is considered a tip in.

Quote:

Would [a transient fuel deficiency] cause some jerkiness first then followed by loads of power?
I'm not exactly clear about the drivability issue relating to the phrase 'jerkiness at zero throttle tip in'. You know, in technical terms that is. Maybe we can try and clear it up.

You're starting from a stop, or moving? Starting from idle, or from a fully rolled off throttle? Level paved ground? Fill in as many blanks as you can.

Marketing will clearly answer YES! to the question "Will the IICE Cool fix the jerkiness?" Me, I'd like to know what I'm saying yes to.

Closed Thread