Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #2311
Codewheeney
Hoopy Frood

Oddometer: 2,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuefelHunden View Post
I bow down to your collective impotence.
Fixed to accurately reflect GS Riders.

Plays in traffic.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #2312
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Now back to regular programing
Old 02-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #2313
Hypermofo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
video

Hey Poolside - why don't you post up a video of you building a couple of these for us to gawk at
Old 02-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #2314
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,849

I'm thinking we might need time-lapse photography.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 02-24-2012, 12:11 AM   #2315
JWarner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I'm sure you've got enough work already PS, but maybe a recent recipient might want to make an install video for those of us still on the edge of our seats.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:16 AM   #2316
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarner View Post
I'm sure you've got enough work already PS, but maybe a recent recipient might want to make an install video for those of us still on the edge of our seats.
So would that be a video looking at the sky as the GS wheelies its way down the block, or a video watching as the wires get plugged and played?

Curious minds and all…

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
Old 02-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #2317
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,232
Model Differences vs. Instructions

Quote:

Below is a post from Poolside...I would think that any instructions might need to be tailored to a specific year model, but then I am clueless on the differences between models. I have not installed mine yet, but do not expect many options for the installation...you know, like what gets plugged into what.

From PS:

"There will be photo instructions, and probably video at some point. I'm designing them to be as easy to install as possible." 12-14-2010

Old 02-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #2318
JWarner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Cool.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #2319
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,636
Quote:
Too many variants it works on, would have to video several models...I know the 1200s...IT is very easy...Just remove left side panels to expose left side of air box. Unplug the plug to the air box and plug the IICE AIR in line and then plug the IICE AIR to the air box....put the AIR where ever you want it.I mounted mine low where I can reach it without taking the seat off
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 6 10/23-10/25/2015: ?.......
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
Old 02-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #2320
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post

Below is a post from Poolside...I would think that any instructions might need to be tailored to a specific year model, but then I am clueless on the differences between models. I have not installed mine yet, but do not expect many options for the installation...you know, like what gets plugged into what.

From PS:

"There will be photo instructions, and probably video at some point. I'm designing them to be as easy to install as possible." 12-14-2010

There are some sparse photo instructions. To find them check the links in the first post of this thread. And to be fair, to call them sparse may be overreaching.

My comment in Wallowa's quote about photo instructions was back when it still wasn't decided if the IICE Air was going to be a simple plug-in, or not. A simple plug-in doesn't require much in the way of instructions. Just as a household extension cord doesn't come with instructions. No one needs instructions for an extension cord do they?

The upcoming IICE Cool is only a little less simple to install, and has a couple of more installation steps. And let me clarify that a little. The IICE Cool has gone through many 'design reviews' say. JJ and I discuss the merits of a more complex installation and we usually come to the conclusion that simpler is better.

Take the IICE Air for example. It could have had a remote switch, or even an embedded microcontroller. But both of those 'versions' require more installation. And the thing is, the additional complexity does not provide any practical benefit. I mean, the IICE Air does need to have a temperature setting so that will work with the upcoming IICE Cool.

"But I want to be able to switch it while I'm riding!" It is true that if the IICE Air had a 4-position switch you could switch it while you're riding. You could even switch it on and off and see the performance difference that the IICE Air makes. But you'll find that out the first time you take a ride.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 02-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #2321
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
I'm thinking we might need time-lapse photography.

p.s. Parkfield's calling...
Old 02-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #2322
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,446
Quote:
There are some sparse photo instructions. To find them check the links in the first post of this thread. And to be fair, to call them sparse may be overreaching.

My comment in Wallowa's quote about photo instructions was back when it still wasn't decided if the IICE Air was going to be a simple plug-in, or not. A simple plug-in doesn't require much in the way of instructions. Just as a household extension cord doesn't come with instructions. No one needs instructions for an extension cord do they?

The upcoming IICE Cool
is only a little less simple to install, and has a couple of more installation steps. And let me clarify that a little. The IICE Cool has gone through many 'design reviews' say. JJ and I discuss the merits of a more complex installation and we usually come to the conclusion that simpler is better.

Take the IICE Air for example. It could have had a remote switch, or even an embedded microcontroller. But both of those 'versions' require more installation. And the thing is, the additional complexity does not provide any practical benefit. I mean, the IICE Air does need to have a temperature setting so that will work with the upcoming IICE Cool.

"But I want to be able to switch it while I'm riding!" It is true that if the IICE Air had a 4-position switch you could switch it while you're riding. You could even switch it on and off and see the performance difference that the IICE Air makes. But you'll find that out the first time you take a ride.
Rough estimate for launch date?

How about pricing? About the same as the Air?

Will you be sending an email blast to all purchasers of the Air?
Old 02-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #2323
Giuseppe
Medium-Viz

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
I used the installation instructions from the Power FRK website. The connections are the same as those on the the IICE Air. As Poolside has said, it's pretty much like plugging in an extension cord: Unplug the intake air sensor wire, and insert the IICE Air inline between the end of the wire and the sensor's connector. The connections will only fit one way, so you can't screw it up.

If you look at the picture of my R1200GS below, you can see the two leads from the IICE Air running upward to the sensor, which is located near the top of the air box. I had to remove the large black tank side cover, the silver side panel, and the small black "L"-shaped panel just below the IICE Air (it just pops off) in order to get to everything. You may have to loosen your top main-colored body panel a little in order for the silver side panel to come off easily (I didn't, and mine required a little finagling...).

After that, it just took a minute or two to decide where to mount the IICE Air and how to tidy up the wires. If you look closely at the pic, you'll notice that the left side of the IICE Air is actually zip-tied to the intake air sensor wire itself, just below the metal clip. Follow that wire straight up and it'll lead you to the IAT sensor. Before you start, play with the metal clip on your IICE Air's connector for a minute, so you can see how it releases. There's not a lot of room around the plug at the IAT sensor, so it helps to know how the clip works before trying to unplug the IAT. See...easy peasy!

P.S. Don't be too afraid to dig into your bike a little. I'm no mechanic, and the first time I removed my whole gas tank it scared the bejeebus out of me. Just go slowly, ask for advice when needed, and take a few pictures to help you remember how everything goes back together. Trust me, if I can do it...
Old 02-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #2324
Happy Wanderer
Day Dreaming.. .

Oddometer: 202
Product Process

Quote:

The upcoming IICE Cool is only a little less simple to install, and has a couple of more installation steps. And let me clarify that a little. The IICE Cool has gone through many 'design reviews' say. JJ and I discuss the merits of a more complex installation and we usually come to the conclusion that simpler is better.

At the risk of provoking the groupies and bouncers again, I disagree about the plug and pray thing. Anytime you design something for a wide audience (like this one) it's always a good idea to consider the consumer expectations and mechanical capabilities. The number of posts about instructions and time spent answering and mocking the questions is a case in point. (household plug?) It's rare to see any gadget that does not have instructions, even rudimentary ones.

On the other hand I totally agree that designing for simplicity is a worthy goal. For a motorcycle environment, it is a must. So is robustness. In my opinion, worth what it costs you, using cheap header material and a jumper as a selector is not the way to go. A simple 65 cent DIP switch would have been much better. Just select your temp with a ball point pen or whatever is handy. Never drop or lose your jumper...

Better still, a rotary DIP switch for pennies more.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #2325
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer View Post
At the risk of provoking the groupies and bouncers again, I disagree about the plug and pray thing. Anytime you design something for a wide audience (like this one) it's always a good idea to consider the consumer expectations and mechanical capabilities. The number of posts about instructions and time spent answering and mocking the questions is a case in point. (household plug?) It's rare to see any gadget that does not have instructions, even rudimentary ones.

On the other hand I totally agree that designing for simplicity is a worthy goal. For a motorcycle environment, it is a must. So is robustness. In my opinion, worth what it costs you, using cheap header material and a jumper as a selector is not the way to go. A simple 65 cent DIP switch would have been much better. Just select your temp with a ball point pen or whatever is handy. Never drop or lose your jumper...

Better still, a rotary DIP switch for pennies more.

While we did consider the possibility of using a switch we opted for the most robust design approach for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is simplicity. A plug jumper is by it's inherent design immune to water and contamination failure. Every time the plug jumper is inserted it cleans the contact areas of the pins and the jumpers so it is 'self cleaning'. Switches are not. And since the actual need to switch from -20 to -10 or -30 is going to be a rare event (once the novelty wears off) the need for a switch seemed overkill to say the least.

And given the possibility of those who would like to fuss with the IICE Air by adding a remote switch, using the pins makes that MUCH easier.

But in the end this is really a 'plug and play', 'set it and forget it' device. We added the adjustability to allow for the IICE Cool AND for those crazy's who might run their bike in sub-freezeing temperatures or in the desert in mid summer.

But mostly because of the need of a mode for compatibility with the IICE Cool.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
Closed Thread