Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #2326
Happy Wanderer
Day Dreaming.. .

Oddometer: 201
Well, OK but..
- Dip switches are not actually affected by cold or heat. Unless you're talking about pizza oven hot or so cold your wheels won't turn and you ain't goin nowhere anyway.
- I've populated thousands of IC boards and soldered them with water soluble flux type solder, then put them in a dishwasher and cleaned them with scalding hot water to remove the flux. No damage to the switch occurs. Zero failures. These things are simple and tough.
- The IceAir is built in a plastic container with a tight fitting lid. I would not expect "contamination" to be a problem in there. As you say, once the novelty wears off they won't be exposed much if ever.

Only real downside I see is they are not as cheap as headers and jumpers.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #2327
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer View Post

At the risk of provoking the groupies and bouncers again, I disagree about the plug and pray thing. Anytime you design something for a wide audience (like this one) it's always a good idea to consider the consumer expectations and mechanical capabilities. The number of posts about instructions and time spent answering and mocking the questions is a case in point. (household plug?) It's rare to see any gadget that does not have instructions, even rudimentary ones.
Sweetcakes! How have you been?!

The 'extension cord' reference works because installing the IICE Air is exactly like plugging in a household extension cord. At some point instructions become ridiculous. For example, on every shampoo bottle is says Lather. Rinse. Repeat. Do you actually need to read that?

It makes sense though, like you said, that some folks would like a little reassurance. You know, some optimism that they will be able to do it. And I can understand that. The best way I can think of to provide that reassurance is to explain the process in terms that reflect how simple it actually is. So there you go, if you can plug in an extension cord you can install the IICE Air, it's that easy.

In the first post of this thread, there are links to a couple of installation pictures. The instructions are sparse, and not everything is covered. For example on the 1200GS there's a panel on the left side of the fuel tank held in place with a couple of screws. The instructions stop short of explaining how to use a screwdriver.

I mean, remember having to sit through the 5 minutes of pre-exam instructions that start with "Be sure to use a #2 pencil, and fill in the square completely." And this on an IQ test.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 02-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #2328
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer View Post

I've populated thousands of IC boards...

- As you say, once the novelty wears off [the jumpers] won't be exposed much if ever.

Only real downside I see is they are not as cheap as headers and jumpers.
Then there's the downside your expertness doesn't see.

Those switches don't fit inside the available space inside the plastic vial and enclosure. That, and the switches do not allow for an epoxy fill to cover the thermistors. For that the switch must be mounted on a standoff some distance above the circuit board. I wasn't able to locate a suitable standoff, socketed or otherwise. Then there's the matter of the correct switch configuration. SP4T.

I probably spent a month poring over every possible switch design from over a dozen companies, then trying to match up likely candidates with a suitable vial that would fit in the enclosure with room on the periphery for the thermistors and wiring.

I was happy to spend money on a SP4T, 90 action, sub-miniature rotary switch. If it weren't for all the above that is. So instead I spent money on a custom standoff height 3-row jumper header.

But you are right though. After all that, the IICE Air is primarily a set-and-forget sort of proposition.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 02-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #2329
Happy Wanderer
Day Dreaming.. .

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Sweetcakes! How have you been?!
Why PussyLips!!! I've been just fine. Shucks, I didn't think you cared!

You spent a MONTH looking for low profile rotary DIP switches?
I found some that measure less than .250 in height in about a minute. That is lower than a header and jumper.
Temp range of -40C to 85C.

My thought was to put the thermistors and wires on the bottom side of the PCB and only the rotary switch on top.
Fill with epoxy to top of PCB leaving only the rotary switch exposed on top for access and well, I leave the rest to your most fervent imagination.

Anyway, this thing is in the can so it's a moot point anyway.

2329 posts. WOW!
Is this a record?
Old 02-26-2012, 11:21 PM   #2330
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Good job. But you already dug up well-covered topics in your previous posts in this thread.

Now shooo

Poolside screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 02:27 PM Reason: Updated link to previous posts
Old 02-27-2012, 01:10 AM   #2331
JWarner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe View Post
I used the installation instructions from the Power FRK website. The connections are the same as those on the the IICE Air. Trust me, if I can do it...
Thanks for that, excited to get it.

JW
Old 02-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #2332
CanoeMoon
CanoeMoon

Oddometer: 15
Missed by that much...!

Poolside, JJ, and all the other reprobates appearing in this lengthy thread... excellent work. I have spent the last 3 days reading this epic from start to finish and it's the best discussion yet. I really liked the sparing in the middle where most of us got a headache. Full on. All the accessible clarity on how and why... all the unveiling of ECU world... , even the admirable marketing takes (I'm sure JJ must have handled the Bejing Olympics) Excellent work.

Poolside, i have a booster plug for some years and i like how it works but not how it drinks, and the IICE Air would sort that for sure. You explanation of the -20 setting clarifies why this is so. I just emailed Mike at Beemer boneyard and he sold the last unit a week ago. (I should try electricity in my computer and ditch the mice/wheel combo... i might have found the thread sooner)

If you have the notion of re-editioning the Air at some point can you put me on the list please (this of course means getting the Cool in conjunction with it) . I am always keen to get the big GS to behave how nature intended it too. (98 GS 1100. 255,000 kms, Australia)

cheers, CM
Old 02-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #2333
freedomtwoup
freedomtwoup

Oddometer: 97
Simply enjoy the story & buildup to the delivery ... thank you for all your diligence, patience, hard work and replying to even the most perplexing emails ...
Old 02-28-2012, 04:16 AM   #2334
Prysock
s00per n00b

Oddometer: 48
Shipped?

On the list as "scheduled for 2/18". Did this group ship? If so I will need to get some tracking info as it's not shown up yet. If not, I'll sit patiently.

Prysock screwed with this post 03-01-2012 at 04:04 PM Reason: Brevity
Old 02-28-2012, 04:24 AM   #2335
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,480
Alright, on the "Scheduled for 2/25" list. After waiting patiently for months I can hardly wait much longer

Good work guys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,now where's that mailman?

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

Old 03-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #2336
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Assembly report.

First, the shipping dates have slipped, and slipped again. I'll update the list later today. As of this morning there is a batch just about ready to leave and the next batch has been started. Below are some in-process pictures of couple of the assembly steps.

"What happened, why are they late?" Remember how I said that I wasn't going to start on the upcoming IICE Cool until all the IICE Airs were shipped? Well, I took advantage of a couple of opportunities to move forward with some work on what's called the 'first article'.

A first article is an example part that represents the actual production item. Right now the IICE Cool is a functional prototype. There's a good amount of work to get from functional prototype to first article.

I realize that may be of little concern to you folks waiting for your IICE Air. The thing is, we're trying to get the IICE Cool into production and ready before summer.

Here are some pictures taken at various times over the last week.

Wiring harness assembly.

Here are the little thermistors and jumper boards. Aren't they cute?

One batch assembled and starting on the next one.

A batch of assembled IICE Airs ready for testing and epoxy potting.

Here they are curing as of 7:20am this morning. These are 72 hours from being ready to ship.

Starting another set of component prep and wiring harnesses.

Poolside screwed with this post 03-01-2012 at 09:44 AM
Old 03-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #2337
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
The thing is, we're trying to get the IICE Air into production and ready before summer.

Maybe you meant the IICE Cool?
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
Old 03-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #2338
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Yep, thanks.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #2339
freedomtwoup
freedomtwoup

Oddometer: 97
From my point of view, this is an item tha willt bring lots of pleasure and comes with a great story. Keep on keeping on Poolside.
Best from The Napa Valley,
David
Old 03-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #2340
JV
What?

Oddometer: 582
I think I can see mine from here!

Closed Thread