ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 05:26 AM   #2566
BenFongTorres
Banned
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Near Canada
Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
There are so many benefits to running slightly richer mixtures on the 1100/1150 motorcycles: no surging, cooler exhaust and cylinder head temperatures, better idle, better acceleration, more mid-band power, cruising at lower RPMs, and the possibility of better left to right power balancing, etc.

It will be really interesting to see what you come up with and how it is installed. It would be great to have something simple that richened the mixture but maintained Closed Loop operation.
But not the 1200's?

The Harley guys have been doing this for ages by way of a "stage one" upgrade (better breathing air filter, richer mixture via re-jetting the carbs or adding a tuner for the FI, and freer flowing exhaust.) Is that really all we are trying to accomplish here with this "trilogy" of parts? Seems like a lot of technology and engineering to accomplish the same thing.

Full disclosure...I am on the wait list for an Air unit so I am indeed preparing to drink the cool aid. I'm a hot-rodder at heart.
BenFongTorres is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 05:30 AM   #2567
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer
 
roger 04 rt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Oddometer: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial9xs View Post
But not the 1200's?

The Harley guys have been doing this for ages by way of a "stage one" upgrade (better breathing air filter, richer mixture via re-jetting the carbs or adding a tuner for the FI, and freer flowing exhaust.) Is that really all we are trying to accomplish here with this "trilogy" of parts? Seems like a lot of technology and engineering to accomplish the same thing.
I'm not involved with PS and JJ's projects but I can tell you I've added an LC-1 Wideband O2 controller to my 04 RT, as some Harley riders have. It is straightforward and fixes a host of issues with the Boxers.
roger 04 rt is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #2568
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer
 
opposedcyljunkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: By the Lake
Oddometer: 4,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Kidding aside, yes the Smooth is another facet. It does more than the the Cool. That is to say, it covers a larger operational range than the Cool.

The Smooth affects the whole range commonly known as Closed Loop. The Air and Cool together work on ranges that are Open Loop.
This is news to me. So will the Smooth be available ahead of the Cool?

Via Tapatalk
__________________
OCJ
92 R100GS-PD Euro
01 Vespa PX150E - sold
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #2569
johnjen
Mod-U-Later
 
johnjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 15,140
Just when you thought we couldn't get any more performance out of the boxer motor…

Remember back at the start when we said…

"I've been working on a series of enhancements to make the fuel injected BMW motors run smoother and better. It's (the Air) the first of a series of hot rod products and mods that I've been developing, for quite some time now."

We have been working on improvements that are easy to use and quick to install but most importantly all work together and result in performance gains that you will immediately understand as soon as you twist the throttle. Yes these mods are that significant.

They quickly and easily change the response and performance of the engine and at the same time require minimal fussing on the riders part. Because we know that these devices HAVE to be easy to install AND operate.

The IICE Air was the first of these mods we are developing which are highly refined and specifically targeted to address specific portions of the operation of the engine (see this post http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...0#post18360550).

And just like the IICE Air, these next devices are designed to the same standard for ease of use, but are even more sophisticated, so that you won’t have to deal with any comlicated details, at all.

Each of these enhancements are aimed at a different quadrant, all with the same overall goal. That of allowing the boxer fuel injection system to perform as it truly can. They are meant to work together as a set, and compliment each other by purpose and intent.

This is yet another major step towards a properly running boxer engine running under ALL operating conditions.


JJ
__________________
An illustrious quote from vermin:
"I lie to myself because I am the only one who continues to believe me."
johnjen is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #2570
Lonestar2112
Moran in training
 
Lonestar2112's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ventura County CA
Oddometer: 6,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen View Post
Just when you thought we couldn't get any more performance out of the boxer motor…

Remember back at the start when we said…

"I've been working on a series of enhancements to make the fuel injected BMW motors run smoother and better. It's (the Air) the first of a series of hot rod products and mods that I've been developing, for quite some time now."

We have been working on improvements that are easy to use and quick to install but most importantly all work together and result in performance gains that you will immediately understand as soon as you twist the throttle. Yes these mods are that significant.

They quickly and easily change the response and performance of the engine and at the same time require minimal fussing on the riders part. Because we know that these devices HAVE to be easy to install AND operate.

The IICE Air was the first of these mods we are developing which are highly refined and specifically targeted to address specific portions of the operation of the engine (see this post http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...0#post18360550).

And just like the IICE Air, these next devices are designed to the same standard for ease of use, but are even more sophisticated, so that you won’t have to deal with any comlicated details, at all.

Each of these enhancements are aimed at a different quadrant, all with the same overall goal. That of allowing the boxer fuel injection system to perform as it truly can. They are meant to work together as a set, and compliment each other by purpose and intent.

This is yet another major step towards a properly running boxer engine running under ALL operating conditions.


JJ
OK Marketing.......................

When do we get a wiff of the Cool?
__________________
Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is online now  
Old 04-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #2571
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid
 
mouthfulloflake's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: N.W. Arkansas
Oddometer: 15,185
the new products might be great, but...

some of us ( me at least) are still waiting to try the initial product.

at this point, I feel like Ive waited several months for some feel good bullshit camaraderie and some loss of fuel economy.

as Cuba Gooding said, " show me the godamn product!"

I hope you have seen that movie.
__________________
In dog beers, I've only had one.
Charter member: T.O. club.
Tilt your head, not the taco.
mouthfulloflake is online now  
Old 04-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #2572
Poolside OP
Syndicated
 
Poolside's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Oddometer: 11,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post

the new products might be great, but...

some of us ( me at least) are still waiting to try the initial product.

at this point, I feel like Ive waited several months for some feel good bullshit camaraderie and some loss of fuel economy.

as Cuba Gooding said, " show me the godamn product!"

I hope you have seen that movie.


I don't know, what can I say? At least we have the camaraderie while we wait, right?

I put in a couple of hours late this afternoon and maybe another hour or so later. Until then it's gonna have to be kumbaya, brother.


__________________

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #2573
Poolside OP
Syndicated
 
Poolside's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Oddometer: 11,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial9xs View Post

The Harley guys have been doing this for ages by way of a "stage one" upgrade (better breathing air filter, richer mixture via re-jetting the carbs or adding a tuner for the FI, and freer flowing exhaust.)

Is that really all we are trying to accomplish here with this "trilogy" of parts? Seems like a lot of technology and engineering to accomplish the same thing.
I understand what you're mean there D9. There's something important to add though. If the fueling system is not designed for low emissions output, then EFI solidly trumps carburetors in every category. It's no contest.

Conversely, when fueling by either method is designed for low emissions, both EFI and carbs do an equally poor job with power and drivability. This is where we're at right now.

There is a difference though. An EFI system can be tuned for superior driveability and low emissions. Power will be down of course, but a well-designed emissions EFI system will always drive better than an emissions carburetor.

By well-designed I mean that the manufacturer took the time and spent the money to iron out all the wrinkles in the emissions-focused driveability output. That is no easy task on any bike motor. And with Independent Throttle Bodies, like on the R motor, it's nearly impossible to accomplish without a servo-controlled throttle-by-wire system.

It is an unfortunate reality that if your objective is low emissions, you can't have one without the other. Low emissions are joined at the hip say with poor driveability.

Those of us here want to refocus the objective to power output and good driveability. The most effective way to do that is to adjust and control the physical inputs to the ECU.


__________________

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #2574
Lonestar2112
Moran in training
 
Lonestar2112's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ventura County CA
Oddometer: 6,348
PS, I will be happy to ride down and give you a hand if it would help. I have a BSEE and I have MANY hours of building cables for USN aircraft. Let me know.
__________________
Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is online now  
Old 04-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #2575
Poolside OP
Syndicated
 
Poolside's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Oddometer: 11,661
Great of you to offer, 2112! That may not work so well with my present unpredictable schedule. But I tell you what I was thinking of doing is having a big install day for the next products.


__________________

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 11:05 PM   #2576
Lonestar2112
Moran in training
 
Lonestar2112's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ventura County CA
Oddometer: 6,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Great of you to offer, 2112! That may not work so well with my present unpredictable schedule. But I tell you what I was thinking of doing is having a big install day for the next products.

PS, I appreciate the effort you have gone through. I do not have the drive you do. I am happy to help, because I know that it makes the GS run much better!

Please let me know. I am only an hour up the road, able to help.
__________________
Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is online now  
Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #2577
johnjen
Mod-U-Later
 
johnjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 15,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
OK Marketing.......................

When do we get a wiff of the Cool?
Now THIS is MARKETING

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nM6w...layer_embedded

Aren't you glad I only market in my spare time, in the privacy of my own home?

JJ
__________________
An illustrious quote from vermin:
"I lie to myself because I am the only one who continues to believe me."
johnjen is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #2578
Andrew
Optimus Primer
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: Eastbania
Oddometer: 14,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen View Post
Now THIS is MARKETING

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nM6w...layer_embedded

Aren't you glad I only market in my spare time, in the privacy of my own home?

JJ
But you sure do a good voice over...

Does Dan know you're horning in?
__________________
Splitting lanes, and splitting hairs.
Andrew is offline  
Old 04-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #2579
Mr. Fisherman
FTW! FIT! FIN! FYYFF
 
Mr. Fisherman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Back of the bus!
Oddometer: 10,413
Mine didn't come with pictures... in Spanish... so I wasn't able to install it yet...

Someday I'll go back through this thread to see how that other competent guy installed his... Till then I'll just have to settle for my plain old back pack... I mean FI Boxer...

p.s. maybe the hose should come with the wet one...
Mr. Fisherman is offline  
Old 04-06-2012, 02:51 AM   #2580
Poolside OP
Syndicated
 
Poolside's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Oddometer: 11,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post

Mine didn't come with pictures... in Spanish... so I wasn't able to install it yet...

Someday I'll go back through this thread to see how that other competent guy installed his...
Regarding installation instructions for your 1150, there's a link in the first post.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...0#post18272500


__________________

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline  
Closed Thread

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014