User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #2701
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,472
I'm thinking it has something to do with the vectors.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:21 AM   #2702
Capt. Blackadder
Caffeine Fiend

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
I'm glad your bike is running so well at speed, but I want to be sure I understand this. Are you saying that the IICE Air, and apparently the Y-pipe, together increased the top speed by 11mph?

Dang... that doesn't suck, exactly.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:52 AM   #2703
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Blackadder View Post

Dang... that doesn't suck, exactly.
Yes, that doesn't exactly suck. I think it would be great, but that much of an increase in top speed doesn't seem very likely.

What were the before and after velocities on Bigdave's bike, 116 and 127? How much of an increase in power does that represent? Let's use 100 horsepower as the starting point. That's about what the 1200GS motor produces. And we'll shortcut our way to saying that at terminal velocity all 100 horsepower are being used to overcome drag.

Some of you will already know this part. If you increase the velocity by a factor of 2, the power it takes to overcome drag increases by a factor of 8. The factor of 2 is cubed, and becomes a factor of 8.

Working the formula, if 116mph on the GS requires 100 horsepower, then double that speed, or 232mph, requires 800 horsepower. Not that the GS could travel 232mph, but here's another example. To travel at 126.5mph the Bugatti Veyron requires 125 horsepower. Double that speed to the 253mph top speed requires 125 times 8, or all of the car's 1001 horsepower.

That's all very exciting, but what about the horsepower difference between 116mph and 127mph on the GS. Working the formula, those 11 miles-per-hour require a little over 31 horsepower. From 100hp to 131hp. And that's what I mean. It doesn't seem very likely that a Y-pipe and an IICE Air provided a 31% increase in horsepower.

I sure don't disbelieve the report, there are many variables that could account for the speed increase. For example, changes in wind direction and speed, or slope of the road, could each account for an 11mph difference in top speed, without requiring 31 horsepower to do it.

Bigdave-gs had himself a lucky tailwind!

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 02:59 AM
Old 04-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #2704
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,433
I took the time when I installed the Y-Pipe to make sure I didn't have any leaks. Everything was fully seated and clamps were snugged down to spec. Ran the bike on the lift and ran my hand down around the connections while the bike was still cool, feeling for and exhaust leaks. None detected, so I feel sure as it heats up the fitting will only get tighter. As for the top speed increase, could be a factor of partialy clogged cat. The bike was run on the same roads I always ride. It has more "punch" in the upper RPM's and it seems to run smoother than it did before I changed out the exhaust and installed the IICE AIR. As for the popping up through the TB's, it seems to have a flat spot and run very lean from idle to 2200 RPM. After it rolls past 2300 to 2500 the engine really pulls hard to red line. I also feel that the peak power curve of the engine was moved up in the RPM range because of the better flow throught the engine exhaust and the installation of the IICE AIR. Just my 2 cents.

2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure for street work / KTM 950 Super Enduro for Dirt work !

bigdave-gs screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 10:10 AM
Old 04-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #2705
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,283
Laugh Ah, Mysteries Of The Universe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
I took the time when I installed the Y-Pipe to make sure I didn't have any leaks. Everything was fully seated and clamps were snugged down to spec. Ran the bike on the lift and ran my hand down around the connections while the bike was still cool, feeling for and exhaust leaks. None detected, so I feel sure as it heats up the fitting will only get tighter. As for the top speed increase, could be a factor of partialy clogged cat. The bike was run on the same roads I always ride. It has more "punch" in the upper RPM's and it seems to run smoother than it did before I changed out the exhaust and installed the IICE AIR. As for the popping up through the TB's, it seems to have a flat spot and run very lean from idle to 2200 RPM. After it rolls past 2300 to 2500 the engine really pulls hard to red line.
Very simple...unplug the IICE Air...plug in the stock wiring and go for a ride...this is not that difficult..

Same, same with your CCP...just remove all the adjunct items you have added to your bike [one at a time!] until the "problems" are gone.. Perhaps you have done this and I missed that post.

On induction leaks, we used to use either WD 40 or propane [using unlit small propane torch] on areas of suspected leaks [Chevy SB intake manifolds etc] and note RPM changes, watching out for starting a flame!

On exhaust could you spray on a soap solution if surface is not too hot to look for leaks/bubbles?
Old 04-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #2706
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
Very simple...unplug the IICE Air...plug in the stock wiring and go for a ride...this is not that difficult..

Uh there is also the choice of moving the plug jumper to the -0Ί setting (stock) instead of HAVING to unplug it. Just another option.

Same, same with your CCP...just remove all the adjunct items you have added to your bike [one at a time!] until the "problems" are gone.. Perhaps you have done this and I missed that post.

On induction leaks, we used to use either WD 40 or propane [using unlit small propane torch] on areas of suspected leaks [Chevy SB intake manifolds etc] and note RPM changes, watching out for starting a flame!

On exhaust could you spray on a soap solution if surface is not too hot to look for leaks/bubbles?
I use brake cleaner myself. Mostly because it leaves no residue

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
Old 04-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #2707
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
I took the time when I installed the Y-Pipe to make sure I didn't have any leaks. Everything was fully seated and clamps were snugged down to spec. Ran the bike on the lift and ran my hand down around the connections while the bike was still cool, feeling for and exhaust leaks. None detected, so I feel sure as it heats up the fitting will only get tighter.

Yeah I did the same thing. But when you actually run the bike at speed the exhaust pressures are MANY times greater as is the vibration and the heat will cause the parts to move around a bit. It was only after I ran the bike that I noticed the exhaust leaks. Just say'n

As for the top speed increase, could be a factor of partialy clogged cat. The bike was run on the same roads I always ride. It has more "punch" in the upper RPM's and it seems to run smoother than it did before I changed out the exhaust and installed the IICE AIR. As for the popping up through the TB's, it seems to have a flat spot and run very lean from idle to 2200 RPM. After it rolls past 2300 to 2500 the engine really pulls hard to red line. I also feel that the peak power curve of the engine was moved up in the RPM range because of the better flow throught the engine exhaust and the installation of the IICE AIR. Just my 2 cents.
One way as mentioned in Wallowa's post to eliminate the IICE Air from the equation is by removing it or changing the plug jumper to the stock (-0Ί) position.

Increases in useable power are always good
, knowing what caused them is also.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Old 04-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #2708
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,433
Quote:

When I unplug the IICE AIR and plug everything in stock, problem goes away. Plug the IICE AIR back in, popping at low RPM but the bike runs better at mid and upper RPM range.

2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure for street work / KTM 950 Super Enduro for Dirt work !
Old 04-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #2709
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Well, Lucy. Let's go 'perimenting on all 4 settings. Only way to know fo' sho'. BTW folks, this a 1150 GS Adventure. 126.5 on the GPS rocks.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #2710
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,205
Quote:
... or propane [using unlit small propane torch] on areas of suspected leaks [Chevy SB intake manifolds etc] and note RPM changes, watching out for starting a flame! ...
Wallowa:
How effective for small leaks?
Old 04-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #2711
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oh. Almost forgot. To get a full understanding of that GPS verified 126.5 mph....

here is an artist's conceptualization of BigDave's aerodynamics.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #2712
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Ok so this begs the question…

Since you are all from Texas and we all have heard that EVERYTHING in Texas is bigger than life, faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than any mere mortal could possibly imagine etc etc…

Perhaps the GPS readings are of a similar bigger than life proportion?

And this is just your way of trying to get the focus back on Texas ever since Alaska stole your thunder?

JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Oh. Almost forgot. To get a full understanding of that GPS verified 126.5 mph....

here is an artist's conceptualization of BigDave's aerodynamics.

WingMakers.com
Old 04-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #2713
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Since my 1200 will only do 126.8 by GPS with a full remus and a widget (on it's best day level ground) , I can only say.......the test is on.

The test day I rode with him he didn't have a GPS. I was on my XR1200 Harley that will run exactly 122 mph (and the speedo is spot on, too, at that speed with my Garmin). Day in, day out. Uphill or downhill. (That's when I hit the rev limiter in 5th.) So, I can attest to that much speed.

But I'm sure there is some way we can find out the numbers.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 02:34 PM
Old 04-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #2714
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,283
Usually, Very Effective

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Wallowa:
How effective for small leaks?
First the description of what constitutes a small anything [] is open to discussion. Next since internal combustion engines are best described as "air pumps"; so the displacement and type of fuel management could result in different degrees of sensitivity when you blow a little propane onto an intake leak and the fuel/air ratio changes from lean to richer....I forgot to mention that we did this at idle speeds, so if you have an idle circuit that also goes into the mix...bottom line, if RPMs vary at all, there is a leak...not something you need a tach for, you listen for the sound of the engine to change.

Brake cleaner, that also makes sense.....and although I did live for decades in Humboldt County and did not smoke, my friends tell me that pot smoke also changes the song of the engine when blown over an intake leak...or perhaps they just lost interest?
Old 04-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #2715
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,205
Quote:
..or perhaps they just lost interest?
Thanks, I have heard tell of it making the exhaust note more mellow
Closed Thread