User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #2791
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,907
I meant pink , or rose colored, whatever comes stock on a cat equipped 1100gs in 1995.

at 92K miles, and ridden every single day, I figure its a fairly standard example of the breed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
There's something going on over there with your bike. I don't know what it is, but there's something going on. By the way, where did you find a purple-colored coding plug?

Old 05-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #2792
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,797
Sure, it sounds fairly standard. Except there's something going on, or something different. I'm sure you understand by this point what the ECU does with the air temperature input.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 05-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #2793
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

just guessing, I figure the ECU uses that input ( along with others) to determine injector pulse frequency or duration to match the airflow through the engine.

there is no crank position sensor, so does it determine the amount of air solely from the tps output?

either way, im sure it does something, I have thus far just been unable to really notice any difference.
most of my fuel delivery experience is from jetting 2 stroke PWC engines, I can determine subtle differences in them, but this big old boxer is such a different animal that its harder for me to notice small changes.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #2794
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,797
The IICE Air makes a change that's plainly obvious. The 1000s of people who installed these types of devices on their bikes are testament to that. (Individual excitement levels notwithstanding.) So there's something happening or something different over there. You know? And I don't know that we can readily figure that out from here.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #2795
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,529
PS, I can tell you that my mechanic (insert comments here about not doing work myself) was impressed enough about the improvements in the bike that he asked for the thread link.

Here is a guy that sees a 100 bikes a month and he thought that it was a substantial improvement.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Old 05-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #2796
Ridestrong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
after synching my TB recently, ive ridden quite a bit with the device at -20 and 0 offset.

I really cant tell much difference either, if it is at all different it so subtle that a 2 mph headwind would negate it.

I wonder though, does the thing need to be in fresh air?

ive simply got it wrapped and sitting directly on top of the airbox

I recently picked up a techlusion gizmet..
honestly though, im likely too lazy to install it, Ill probably just carry less, and ride slower.
I wonder if you and I got ours out of the same batch and there was some type of assembly error??
Old 05-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #2797
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

I figure most people that spend money on a mod will feel some sort of improvement, that is human nature.

tonight for me, I am removing the device completely, and I will see how the ride to work is., hopefully I can notice the difference that thousands of other people have noticed.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #2798
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridestrong View Post
I wonder if you and I got ours out of the same batch and there was some type of assembly error??
Quote:
I figure most people that spend money on a mod will feel some sort of improvement, that is human nature.

tonight for me, I am removing the device completely, and I will see how the ride to work is., hopefully I can notice the difference that thousands of other people have noticed.

So neither of you noticed ANY difference regardless if the setting was -30Ί or ANY other setting?

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
Old 05-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #2799
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,779
What I can say is that at the -10 setting, my fuel consumption improved a bit (several tankfuls over same road conditions versus my old Boosterplug) but at the -20 setting, the throttle control is kinda smoother. This tells me that there is more fuel injected at the -20 setting (more fuel consumption + smoother throttle). No claims of added HP or torque here. Yep, the Air "commands" the ECU to add more fuel
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
Old 05-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #2800
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Ive tried -30 -20 and 0 so far, no other settings have I tried.

and, no , not really noticed any difference.

In theory I understand what the device does, I would not have bought it otherwise.

Just trying to actually feel the difference, trust me , I wish I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen View Post
So neither of you noticed ANY difference regardless if the setting was -30Ί or ANY other setting?

JJ
Old 05-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #2801
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Quote:

In theory I understand what the device does, I would not have bought it otherwise.

Yeah so do I.

But assuming the device is fully plugged in (the bail clips return to their full 'out' position when plugged in just like when they are not plugged into anything at all, right?…) and the EFI reads the air temperature and so calculates the amount of fuel based upon that temperature… So the amount of delivered fuel MUST be different between those 4 settings. The EFI just runs it's algorithms and they are based upon the sensor inputs.

Now granted you've got 92K miles which might be an influence (as in heavily worn rings or aging ignition system etc.), and we have no idea of any of the rest of your bikes condition or what has been modified or changed etc., And any one mod (like another chip or having another device in series with the IICE Air) could have an impact on all of this, so were all shooting in the dark here. I mean what color are your plugs, and when was the last valve adjustment performed, have the rocker end gaps ever been measured and adjusted, how much is the ignition advanced (or retarded) etc. etc., ALL of these and plenty of other factors could all combine to help mask the additional fuel being delivered. It doesn't SEEM likely but we're grabbing at straws at this point and doing so in the dark, from far away. And missing something, something probably really basic.

So here is a possible test. Do you know anyone close to you who also has an IICE Air? If so swap your 2 IICE Airs and see if there is any change. This eliminates the possibility of device problems, and verifies proper installation and other possibilities as well.

If you don't know anyone within riding distance, you can send it to me and I'll run it on my 1150 to verify its operation.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Old 05-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #2802
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

it was fully plugged in.

ignition is good, compression is good.

no other devices installed, the step toe mod is the current CCP config, I tried the Ice air with the stock pink plug initially, and it surged just like it did without ice air thingy. No other difference was noted.

last valve adjust was a few thousand ago

no idea of the ignition timing, but it does ping with low octane fuel, and it does not with 91 or above octane fuel.

Mine is an old, beat up, well used oilhead bmw bike.

possibly all of the others are less well used, and respond differently to your gizmo.

I can only say , on my bike, I feel no difference

as of about 8pm tonight, it was removed, and sits in a pile, with a techlusion something or other, and some random carb parts.

maybe tomorrow, when I ride to work I will miss it, and be able to report that I did in fact notice a difference.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #2803
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,333
Quote:

It may be that some of us are just not very sensitive to things. I 'kinda feel the same way but just assume it's me and not the device. When I installed it I'd sometimes think I felt a difference and then think there was no change.

Heck, I'm so insensitive I went into a tank slapper on my K100RT once because I did not notice the lack of oil in my rear shock 'till then.

I've not been riding much due to work but plan to ride frequently for a period and then remove it to see if I feel a difference.

My current thinking is that adding the cool will be a more pronounced difference in performance.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #2804
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

I am open to that possibility.

but, I can tell when the ccp is changed.
I can tell if the tps is far off
I could tell a difference after a TB synch

its not like I am oblivious to changes

My next idea, to richen the steady state, mid engine RPM fueling is to soak my air filter in bar and chain oil.

I know, I should have bought a KLR.....

Old 05-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #2805
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Have you ever checked the rocker end play?

JJ

WingMakers.com
Closed Thread