Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,607
Build Process - Start to Finish - Group 3 Pics

Build Process - Start to Finish - Group 1 Pics
Build Process - Start to Finish - Group 2 Pics
Build Process - Start to Finish - Group 3 Pics
Build Process - Start to Finish - Group 4 Pics

... to be continued

The pics below show how the vial is attached to the pcb. The vial is a critical component.
It creates a waterproof chamber for the jumper pins, and the pop-up lid allows access.

If you have questions about a particular step, PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THE ENTIRE RUN OF PICTURES.  Thank you.

Vee notches cut into the bottom of the vial allow the epoxy potting compound to flow through.

Tin-plated bus wires are used for tie down straps. They attach the vial securely to the board.

Thread the bus wire through the 3 holes previously punched into the vial.

Insert the 3 tie downs into the matching PCB holes.

Tweezers guide the wires into place. These wire get soldered in, and lock the vial in place.

Flip the board over.

And solder the three outside positions.

Cinch the wires down tight.

And solder the three inside positions.

Trim the leads close.

Nice.

This board assembly is ready for the wiring harness. The harness wires solder into the 4 remaining holes.

Making the wiring harness is next up. Next group of pics.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 01:24 AM
Old 07-02-2012, 04:47 AM   #2972
dirtyoffroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
are all the circuit boards personalized or is that one unique?
Old 07-02-2012, 04:50 AM   #2973
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyoffroad View Post

are all the circuit boards personalized or is that one unique?
If you mean the solder mask 'dropout text' with our monikers and ADV slogan, all the boards have that.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 07-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #2974
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 12,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
If you mean the solder mask 'dropout text' with our monikers and ADV slogan, all the boards have that.

Way back in the day I used to retouch negs for integrated circuits. I wonder if there's still any microscopic Mr. Wonderfuls out there?

Do stand up guys lie?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #2975
BMWzenrider
The Road Scholar

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Wiring harnesses were built this past weekend. Those pics to follow.
So, the wiring harness were built, but not installed? Nor potting, etc...

Looks like I will be leaving on the 8th or 9th without this mod installed on my sidecar.
T'would have been nice to have it for my 7,500 mile trip. Could have really tested it out well...

Oh well.....
2002 BMW R1150RA
In Memoriam: Harley, 1993-2010 You will be missed.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #2976
Happy Wanderer
Day Dreaming.. .

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
I do understand the use of the rear brake and clutch to control slow movement on the bike...but off road over rough terrain I find it very difficult to smoothly modulate the rear brake [peddle location and lack of feel] and mostly refuse to slip the clutch since dry clutch's do not appreciate being slipped...much better for a dry clutch to be all in or all out...on pavement that is easier to accomplish...off road, particularly over irregular surfaces and up or downhill having a smooth throttle response [not just on tip in or out] can make all the difference for me and saves my clutch. The BP did a lot to help and now the IICE Air is also....really, really looking forward to the Cool and the Smooth!!!!

But, hey I ain't no expert and I could be wrong!
So are you running your bike with both the IIce Air _and_ the Booster Plug?
Old 07-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #2977
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,851
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer View Post
So are you running your bike with both the IIce Air _and_ the Booster Plug?
No, I had the BP on for three+ years and now have the IICE Air. One device at a time! Have not really tested out the IICE Air yet. Need some time in really hot weather coming up. My reason for buying and using the IICE Air was not that the BP did not help with smoother running, but the Cool and Smooth will be greatly appreciated for where and how I ride. Plus the bigeee for me is running cooler at slow speeds, under load, low RPMs and high ambient temps....what I will be testing is the IICE Air ability for me to dial in a fuel/air that will help reduce cylinder temps under these conditions.

Wallowa screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 06:31 PM
Old 07-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #2978
Happy Wanderer
Day Dreaming.. .

Quote:
No, I had the BP on for three+ years and now have the IICE Air. One device at a time! Have not really tested out the IICE Air yet. Need some time in really hot weather coming up.
Meh... I would not expect any difference. They do exactly the same thing because they contain exactly the same device. A thermistor added in series to the existing air temperature sensor.

Of course there are other devices coming which someday may constitute a sort of "IIce Cream Sandwich" of products for your bike but you have to wait and see.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #2979
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 14,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer View Post
Meh... I would not expect any difference. They do exactly the same thing because they contain exactly the same device. A thermistor added in series to the existing air temperature sensor.

Of course there are other devices coming which someday may constitute a sort of "IIce Cream Sandwich" of products for your bike but you have to wait and see.
Uh this isn't what the circuit really is "A thermistor added in series to the existing air temperature sensor."

It replaces the existing sensor (or not in the 0 setting) with one of 3 other sensors.

And stating that "they contain exactly the same device" may or may not be true because since no one has ever 'dissected' any of the other devices to see what they are using, it is a guess at best.

JJ
Old 07-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #2980
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen View Post
Uh this isn't what the circuit really is "A thermistor added in series to the existing air temperature sensor."

It replaces the existing sensor (or not in the 0 setting) with one of 3 other sensors.

And stating that "they contain exactly the same device" may or may not be true because since no one has ever 'dissected' any of the other devices to see what they are using, it is a guess at best.

JJ
A very educated one..............
Old 07-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #2981
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 14,845
In most cases it's probably true but not all cases.

There are MANY thermistors available and not all of those which could be used are 'exactly the same', and lets not forget that some devices don't use thermistors (at least that seemed to be the case).

Yeah I'm/were picking nits, but absolutist statements usually aren't reflective of reality.

JJ
Old 07-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #2982
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

BP Not Adjustable

Quote:
In most cases it's probably true but not all cases.

There are MANY thermistors available and not all of those which could be used are 'exactly the same', and lets not forget that some devices don't use thermistors (at least that seemed to be the case).

Yeah I'm/were picking nits, but absolutist statements usually aren't reflective of reality.

JJ
For me the big gain with the IICE Air is that I can adjust for differing ambient temperatures...of course the Cool and Smooth are a natural progression of taming the the throttle/engine combo.

Hence I am running the IICE Air and have disconnected but left in place my BP.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:54 AM   #2983
BenFongTorres
Banned

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Have not really tested out the IICE Air yet. Need some time in really hot weather coming up.
Quote:
For me the big gain with the IICE Air is that I can adjust for differing ambient temperatures...of course the Cool and Smooth are a natural progression of taming the the throttle/engine combo.

Hence I am running the IICE Air and have disconnected but left in place my BP.
Wallowa...Why don't you weigh-in when you have actually used the thing instead of just regaling us all with your conjecture? You state in just a couple of posts above this one that you haven't really used the device and are waiting to test it. However, you also seem to chime in, in defense of the unit, whenever anyone has any sort of challenge as if you are on the IICE payroll or at least a seasoned user. The validity of your opinion has suffered greatly in my mind with this doubletalk.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #2984
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Hmmmm...Say You...So What

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial9xs View Post
Wallowa...Why don't you weigh-in when you have actually used the thing instead of just regaling us all with your conjecture? You state in just a couple of posts above this one that you haven't really used the device and are waiting to test it. However, you also seem to chime in, in defense of the unit, whenever anyone has any sort of challenge as if you are on the IICE payroll or at least a seasoned user. The validity of your opinion has suffered greatly in my mind with this doubletalk.
That is some funny shit right there...

Look, I have ridden ["haven't really used.".?] with the IICE Air and field "tested" the device...but I am not through with my evaluation of the IICE Air vs. the BP. We still have cold temps [freezing] out here and I need triple digit temps to find out IF it will help the motor run cooler under the conditions I previously stated.

As for you wondering if I am on the IICE Air payroll? Sure, I get 20% of ever device sold..As for you questioning the "validity of my opinions"...why would I care what you think?

Of yes, opinion is conjecture...and everyone has one. But wait..after all you are "Denial"...

Lighten up Dude...life is too short to be petty.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #2985
Happy Wanderer
Day Dreaming.. .

Quote:

JJ
If it replaces the existing sensor why would you bother to have two connectors? Why not unplug the existing sensor connector and just plug yours in to the connector that goes to the ECU? This would save wiring, connectors, pins, solder, add simplicity, reduce labour and cost.

No sir, I am fairly certain you may be mistaken and that the device you are selling is indeed placing one of three jumper selectable value thermistors in series with the existing sensor (which is also a thermistor) thus adding to the variable resistance in the circuit which in turn causes the ECU to calculate air temperature to a colder value than actual.
Closed Thread