Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #3466
Aberdeen
Gypsy Rider

Oddometer: 325
Ordered mine today...

Been thinking about options for quite a bit, and I'm gonna go with this!!

Just did a valve clearance and new plugs - TBS was good.

'05 GS w 60K on the clock. Looking forward to what you have to offer!

Cheers!

2005 1200GS
2005 KLR650
1983 R80RT

BMWMOA# 55196
ABC# 21
IBA# 27873

"Rubber side down, and tear along dotted line..." - K.B.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:01 AM   #3467
sarelp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Just got mine ordered !!
Old 09-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #3468
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,661

Thank you to everyone for all your recent orders! We certainly appreciate it.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 09-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #3469
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Assembly report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside - last week from San Rafael View Post

Here's what's going on assembly-wise folks. There are a couple of pieces of good news to report. I came up to the SF Bay area on Wednesday of last week. My dearest friend had surgery last week and I came up here to take care of her while she recovers. The procedure went very well, and there's one piece of good news.

The other good news is that I drove up here with a car packed full of tools and parts to assemble IICE Airs from her garage. At the moment I'm looking at 115 Airs in process. I'll be driving back home in a few days with I'd estimate one-half of that number ready for epoxy potting.
Alright, I'm back, and here's what's happening. In between making up ice packs, trips to the doctor, and preparing meals I got a pretty good amount of work done. It looks like a batch will go into the epoxy on Saturday, and should go out on Monday.

My schedule is a little different too, at least for the next couple of weeks. I planned for my stay up north to last as long as four weeks. As it turned out it was only half that. That means for the next two weeks IICE Air assembly owns me essentially full time. I'd call that good news all around.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 09-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #3470
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,788
Cool!

Old 09-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #3471
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

Cool!

I wish I'd have had time to stop by Berkeley/Oakland and visit you folks in the East Bay. Next time.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #3472
BMWzenrider
The Road Scholar

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHolly View Post
Hey thanks! This was done very professional. I appreciate your work.

By the way, how were you able to run 87 in your BMW? I thought that you always had to use 93 or do the older models take lower octane? From what I understand, lower octane can cause premature detonation (happens to some guys haha) and that will cause severe engine problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHolly
I'm asking because the ICE-Air was able to change the mixture enough that the guy with the fuel chart was able to run 87 octane? He never mentioned what year his bike was in the test. I'm not sure if older versions used 87 in the past?
Thanks for the kudos!
I see that others have already chimed in to help answer your original queries.
For your follow up question, you just needed to read the second paragraph of my original post to get an answer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWzenrider View Post

I have the IICE-Air units installed on both of my bikes; a 2002 R1150R with bags and BMW Touring Shield, and a 2005 R1200RT with a Hannigan sidecar attached.
The R1150R has the same intakes and chip as the GS model, it is just sized for those of us who have trouble holding up a full-sized GS and with a bit taller top gearing. So my data should be somewhat relevant for on-road comparisons.
It was cold and raining when I rode this bike up the Dalton, so I wasn't saving receipts and writing down my mileage...

As others have pointed out, making the mixture more rich is one way to combat detonation. And that is just what the IICE-Air does when wrenching the throttle open (leading throttle).
On both of my bikes I have noted much less tendency for the bike to ping under hard acceleration since installing the IICE-Air.

The R1150R used to be very susceptible to pinging when flogging it, even on 93 octane. With the IICE-Air installed I basically have to 'try' to get it to ping even when running plain ole' 87 octane.

After the initial fun of playing with the bikes a bit more to see just what the unit did for me, I have settled back into riding both bikes about the same as I had before. Although, as others have also noted, I am usually able to cruise at any given speed one gear taller than before installing them; which may also contribute to the improvement in MPG.

And since 87 octane is both more energy dense {better MPG}, and less expensive. My cost/mile for fuel went down significantly; on the order of 2-3 cents per mile. Which means {for me} the IICE-Air has already paid for itself in the first 3,000 miles.

The usual disclaimer apply:
YMMV.
Past performance is no guarantee of future earnings.
Filmed on a closed course by professional drivers.
Do not attempt at home!
2002 BMW R1150RA
In Memoriam: Harley, 1993-2010 You will be missed.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #3473
BMWzenrider
The Road Scholar

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
WOW! Thanks Karl, for your MPG and performance writeup!
You are welcome.
I am very pleased at how the IICE-Air has improved the drivability of both bikes, but especially my sidecar rig.
And my wallet is appreciating the added fuel economy on the Roadster!

Still not seeing any clear pattern to the fuel economy on the sidecar rig because of the scatter in the data, but it looks to be about on par with pre-Air mpg. When you look at the mpg over time graph for the Roadster there is a clear step up to the higher fuel economy after being able to switch to 87 octane with the plug installed.
2002 BMW R1150RA
In Memoriam: Harley, 1993-2010 You will be missed.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #3474
spartanman
regret minimizer

Oddometer: 938
"And since 87 octane is both more energy dense {better MPG}, and less expensive. My cost/mile for fuel went down significantly; on the order of 2-3 cents per mile. Which means {for me} the IICE-Air has already paid for itself in the first 3,000 miles."

It's my understanding that premium and regular gasoline have essentially the same energy content. Premium contains more isooctane, which slows the burn rate to help prevent detonation. I generally run at least 89 octane in my 2002 R1150GSA, and premium if it's not crazy expensive. I've not experienced the pinging many complain about with these bikes. I look forward to installing the ICE Air and running regular. The big unknown these days is how much ethanol is blended in. Mileage drops with increasing ethanol content. Anybody know of any gas brands not cut with ethanol?

spartanman screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 06:28 PM
Old 09-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #3475
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,206
My 2003 1150 pings like a bitch on anything less than 93. In fact when the tach passes through 4k it will still rattle a little if I don't use a gas station with dedicated pump hoses for each octane level.

Can't wait to get mine!
Old 09-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #3476
squatch.f22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
There is an app called "Pure Gas" that gives you the gas stations around your location that don't include ethanol. It has worked for me pretty well up to this point. It's not very easy for planning but good for execution when you're looking for a station.

- Justin
2013 1200 GSA
Old 09-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #3477
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
I have that App . Good for show and tell , now and again I might be near one of those stations .
2001 R 1150 GS 1978 R 100RS 1976 XT-500 1964 CL-72
1955 CJ-5 1975 F-250 Highboy
Old 09-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #3478
1Gopokes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
ice aire

Thank you for the update Poolside. I can't wait to try it out.

It has been raining like hell here in CO anyways so nor riding this week
Old 09-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #3479
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Assembly report

Ok. As is often the case, my guess as to the completion of this batch was optimistic. A batch should go into the epoxy tomorrow.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #3480
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanman View Post

It's my understanding that premium and regular gasoline have essentially the same energy content. Premium contains more isooctane, which slows the burn rate to help prevent detonation.
The quicker burn rate of the regular-grade fuel, along with less spark advance, means the maximum combustion pressure occurs closer to the maximum mechanical advantage point of the crank angle.

Closed Thread