Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 06:33 AM   #3736
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanman View Post
Stock R1150GSs aren't quick or fast. Tall gearing, terrible aerodynamics and less than 70 hp at the rear wheel doesn't make for high performance. The lag is greater because the drag is increasing as the square of speed, and the power needed to overcome it with the cube of speed. These bikes top out at about 115 mph. Btw, there is no enricher; it's a fast idle control. That cable from the cold-start lever goes to the Bowden box cable splitter.
A small point, there is an enricher which is a function managed by the Motronic. While warming up, the Motronic adds 3-12% to fueling. My 1150, before I changed its fueling, ran noticeably better when cold.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:05 AM   #3737
liviob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Thanks i was curious as to what function the choke cable actually provided.

Yes i agree the faster the bike moves through the air the more drag resistance is created, but I'm talking about the feel of the throttle and the response of the engine during throttle movement.

I have a question for Poolside and please correct me if i am mistaken. I have read here in this post that the iice-air only corrects the air-fuel mixture at the crack of the throttle at very low engine RPM. What i am curious to know is how is this device going to correct the rest of the throttle range because after riding this bike at higher speed its very obvious to me that this engine runs very lean not just at the first crack of the throttle but across the whole throttle range.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:48 PM   #3738
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post

A small point, there is an enricher which is a function managed by the Motronic. While warming up, the Motronic adds 3-12% to fueling. My 1150, before I changed its fueling, ran noticeably better when cold.
Yes we covered that topic in detail a couple of years ago near the start of this thread. That's what the IICE Cool is all about. The Cool takes advantage of the Transient Throttle operational range of the Motronic. The functional Cool device has been on several bikes, JJ's included. It gives great joy and happiness to beleaguered BMW owners whose mediocre throttle response gnaws at them.

The Cool is moving toward production and we'll get into that process here. I didn't have the time to do it then, but I do now.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 02-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #3739
hopskipjump
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Poolside-

It's November- the last shipment was promised in October.....

When will the last bunch SHIP?

thanks

SS in MI
Old 02-03-2014, 07:46 PM   #3740
Giggity

Oddometer: 726
It's November in Michigan?
Old 02-03-2014, 07:56 PM   #3741
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Laugh Ha..Valid Question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggity View Post
It's November in Michigan?
I was puzzled about "last bunch" statement and missed the Nov....'Last bunch' may never occur soon as orders keep coming in for the Air.. unless Air orders are not being accepted and I missed that also.. entirely possible, I miss a lot.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:07 PM   #3742
hopskipjump
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
just checking to see if anyone, meaning poolside, is paying attention-
No it is really February in MI. and it is a serious one at that....
but really: three months behind schedule ?
Old 02-04-2014, 04:08 AM   #3743
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopskipjump View Post

just checking to see if anyone, meaning poolside, is paying attention-
No it is really February in MI. and it is a serious one at that....
but really: three months behind schedule ?
Hey there HSJ. I'm paying attention alright.  The last batch of Airs was delayed by the design, prototype, and setting up for building the plug-in re-calibration part for the Airs. That process needed to happen before more Airs were built, because at the time there was no way to know what the solution was going to be. (Plus I needed to spend some time on my day job.)

The calibration plug-in circuit is sorted, and a board revision will be here soon. In the meantime, this week that is, I'm planning to finish the last batch of Airs.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 02-04-2014, 04:35 AM   #3744
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post

I was puzzled about "last bunch" statement and missed the Nov....'Last bunch' may never occur soon as orders keep coming in for the Air.. unless Air orders are not being accepted and I missed that also.. entirely possible, I miss a lot.
That's right, Phil. You didn't miss anything. Going forward the IICE functions are all digital. Microprocessor-controlled that is. The Air 'acceleration enrichment' function will be in combination with the Cool 'transient throttle enrichment', and the Smooth 'closed-loop mixture control'.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #3745
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Laugh Oooooh..That Sounds Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
That's right, Phil. You didn't miss anything. Going forward the IICE functions are all digital. Microprocessor-controlled that is. The Air 'acceleration enrichment' function will be in combination with the Cool 'transient throttle enrichment', and the Smooth 'closed-loop mixture control'.

Air-Cool-Smooth; at last the true Trilogy!....YES!
Old 02-05-2014, 04:28 AM   #3746
BronsonRock
Banned

Oddometer: 213
Hello all...new guy here. Sorry if this has been covered but I bought a camhead GSA with the IICE Air module installed by the PO. I'm here to learn about the unit and have done some basic reading but don't have time to wade through hundreds pages of posts. Do I understand correctly that there is an "older" (first generation maybe) module being phased out for a newer one? If so is that because of the new Water Boxer?
Old 02-05-2014, 06:40 AM   #3747
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Ah. ! Another busy person , whose time is extremely valuable .
Welcome !
2001 R 1150 GS 1978 R 100RS 1976 XT-500 1964 CL-72
1955 CJ-5 1975 F-250 Highboy
Old 02-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #3748
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
Air-Cool-Smooth; at last the true Trilogy!... YES!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:43 AM   #3749
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Laugh Haaaa...BUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbound View Post
Ah. ! Another busy person , whose time is extremely valuable .
Welcome !

Yes, but BR can read and needs to do so.....or subscribe to Readers Digest if that is still in print....His questions can be answered as it was long ago: "42".
Old 02-05-2014, 11:44 AM   #3750
Happy Wanderer
Day Dreaming.. .

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
I am confused (which happens easily). Does this mean the new IIce thingy will replace the IIce Air by combining it's function with the IIce Cool and IIce Smooth? If so it poses two questions.
- Is there any further need for the IIce Air and the add on repair plug in for the IIce Air after this new digital product is available?
- Is this new combined Smooth Cool Air device basically going to accomplish the same things as the AF-XIED product?

It sort of sounds like it to me but people can buy the AF-XIED product off the shelf right now so why would they wait an undetermined amount of time for design, development, testing and production of this new device?
Closed Thread