Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #436
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 8,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoAggie View Post
Don't get the joke, sorry. My bike is a 2010 R1200GS adventure. If I can't get past this issue I have decided to sell the bike, which would end a long run of GS models dating back to a R100GS. Perhaps it's simply a tolerance issue . . . . . .
I had a similar sounding issue last year. It also was after the dealer had adjusted my valves. I went through them and found them to be tight...not by a lot, but apparently enough to cause the engine to get very raw feeling at similar RPMs as you have mentioned. I adjusted them a little loose (a tappy valve is a happy valve) and re-synced the TBs and viola! Back to smoooooooooooth!

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 03-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #437
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 8,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneydee View Post
Link please! Or at least more information. I will do my own TB synch when the time comes and if I don't have to buy somebody elses expensive machine to do it, even better!

http://www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 03-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #438
GeoAggie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
I had a similar sounding issue last year. It also was after the dealer had adjusted my valves. I went through them and found them to be tight...not by a lot, but apparently enough to cause the engine to get very raw feeling at similar RPMs as you have mentioned. I adjusted them a little loose (a tappy valve is a happy valve) and re-synced the TBs and viola! Back to smoooooooooooth!
Great information, thanks
Old 03-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #439
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,744
One of the reasons that OVAD even exists is because the dealer would always return my bikes with the valves in worse condition that when it went in. The same for the carbs (on my R65LS) so I got in the habit of ALWAYS going back in and re-adjusting them back to where they were 'happy' once again.

This lead me to figuring out the optimized way to adjust the valves for the oil heads, because I'd have to go back in and get them back into their sweet spot, again. And I just kept playing with the setup and adjustment procedure. Then when I figured out the magic formula things got real interesting.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
Old 03-06-2011, 06:00 PM   #440
GeoAggie
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen View Post
One of the reasons that OVAD even exists is because the dealer would always return my bikes with the valves in worse condition that when it went in. The same for the carbs (on my R65LS) so I got in the habit of ALWAYS going back in and re-adjusting them back to where they were 'happy' once again.

This lead me to figuring out the optimized way to adjust the valves for the oil heads, because I'd have to go back in and get them back into their sweet spot, again. And I just kept playing with the setup and adjustment procedure. Then when I figured out the magic formula things got real interesting.

JJ
Is there an OVAD for camheads? Thanks JJ . . . . . .
Old 03-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #441
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

In a word, no.

One of the trends that BMW has been pursuing is to reduce or eliminate the technicians expertise (or lack of same) in maintaining their bikes. With camheads, dual channel EFI, CanBus, and other improvements the need for exactitude of adjustments has been significantly reduced. Remember surging and how BMW claimed it was a lack of proper attention to detail in maintenance? Well with the march of improvements the need to have to fuss with the knobs is greatly reduced. But so is the ability to dial in some of those adjustments to within a knats ass.

In short the techniques that OVAD brought to the table can't be applied to the camheads. But then some might argue/suggest that, that degree of pickyness (anality) isn't necessary. Perhaps. We'll never know because unless someone wants to go to the trouble and expense and time and effort to find out, it's simply out of reach by any other means.

But if I were to own a camhead I might attempt to apply the lessons learned in OVAD, but it would be a PIA because I'd have to purchase a bunch of button shims and go to town on matching them to the engine, valve by valve. And only after the engine had been fully broken in.

But you know what? I'd bet that, after I got thru matching each valve in a set, that engine would sing… Because that is the end result of what OVAD is all about. Getting that engine to optimally breath.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Old 03-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #442
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:
In a word, no.

One of the trends that BMW has been pursuing is to reduce or eliminate the technicians expertise (or lack of same) in maintaining their bikes. With camheads, dual channel EFI, CanBus, and other improvements the need for exactitude of adjustments has been significantly reduced. Remember surging and how BMW claimed it was a lack of proper attention to detail in maintenance? Well with the march of improvements the need to have to fuss with the knobs is greatly reduced. But so is the ability to dial in some of those adjustments to within a knats ass.

In short the techniques that OVAD brought to the table can't be applied to the camheads. But then some might argue/suggest that, that degree of pickyness (anality) isn't necessary. Perhaps. We'll never know because unless someone wants to go to the trouble and expense and time and effort to find out, it's simply out of reach by any other means.

But if I were to own a camhead I might attempt to apply the lessons learned in OVAD, but it would be a PIA because I'd have to purchase a bunch of button shims and go to town on matching them to the engine, valve by valve. And only after the engine had been fully broken in.

But you know what? I'd bet that, after I got thru matching each valve in a set, that engine would sing… Because that is the end result of what OVAD is all about. Getting that engine to optimally breath.

JJ
Based on a few that I have done, one over the weekend in particular, I tend to agree. Fortunately most Camheads seem to have very precisely matched valve clearances based on my limited experience. This weekend I found my first Camhead out of factory tolerance, and the first with not precisely matched clearances. Based on a single bike, the smoothness of the bike was a little off from the Camhead "norm" in my experience.

Jim
Old 03-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #443
GeoAggie
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Based on a few that I have done, one over the weekend in particular, I tend to agree. Fortunately most Camheads seem to have very precisely matched valve clearances based on my limited experience. This weekend I found my first Camhead out of factory tolerance, and the first with not precisely matched clearances. Based on a single bike, the smoothness of the bike was a little off from the Camhead "norm" in my experience.

Jim
Is the throttle body sync procedure the same for camheads . . . . I would assume so? Jim - Is this covered for camheads in your maintance DVD? Thanks,

Jeff
Old 03-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #444
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoAggie View Post
Is the throttle body sync procedure the same for camheads . . . . I would assume so? Jim - Is this covered for camheads in your maintance DVD? Thanks,

Jeff
Yes, it is the same as the Hexheads, and covered.

Jim
Old 03-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #445
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,415
Quote:

JJ
I did that the last time I checked the valves on my K1200R. They were all within the "normal" range but not equally. I bought half a dozen shims.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Old 03-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #446
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

So did you notice any changes/improvements?

JJ

WingMakers.com
Old 03-07-2011, 12:04 AM   #447
Jason1202GStime!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Hey guys,

Just curious, recently i just checked the Throttle sync with a carbtune.

The reading form the Carbtune shows that both bodies are very balance, so i did not tune it.

However, i am experiencing rough idling every time when i start the bike.

Is this normal? Or is there something which i am missing?

Sorry for the poor english..
Old 03-07-2011, 12:27 AM   #448
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Check your valve gap clearances first. (adjust as necessary)
Then check the Throttle Body synch.

If that doesn't clear up the problem look for air leaks in the intake system.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Old 03-07-2011, 06:36 AM   #449
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
So did you notice any changes/improvements?

JJ
I'll let you know when the new shims are installed.

Jim
Old 03-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #450
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 838
Ste

Has anyone used this?

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=572