Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #451
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 12,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot View Post
Not on a GS. I'm not sure how you'd get one of those to sit in a horizontal throttle body. Or if they'd be accurate using them sideways.

Do stand up guys lie?
Old 03-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #452
Tuff Tunica
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoAggie View Post
Guys,

My issue thus far is not throttle response but engine smoothness in a certain rpm range. The engine on my new 2010 camhead feels coarse and rough in the 4500 rpm range and gets progessively worse with each gear change (i.e., 6th gear at freeway cruising speeds of 75-80 indicated). Will your improvements address this issue at all? Early in development? I am at this stage somewhat discouraged with the bike . . . . . and I've owned a number of earlier GS models without problems. Help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Jeff
I'm sure we all want to get back to the subject of "Hotrodding the GS." But in response to the recent strings attached to the above concern, one thing I did not see mentioned was something very basic. Try checking the tightness of the plugs. You may have already done this.

Also, has your bike ever been tipped over? Hexheads are notorious for having a cracked insulator on the plugs with just a simple tip over. Ask me how I know. Try examining the insulators closely on each plug. If your bike has been on it's side there may be just a slight fracture in the plug insulator that can greatly affect it's performance.

In diagnosing most of the issues with my 2007 GSA I have found that often times it is the simplest of things that makes the biggest difference. Just a thought.

Nothing is miserable unless you think it is so. Boethius
Old 03-09-2011, 06:13 AM   #453
GeoAggie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff Tunica View Post
I'm sure we all want to get back to the subject of "Hotrodding the GS." But in response to the recent strings attached to the above concern, one thing I did not see mentioned was something very basic. Try checking the tightness of the plugs. You may have already done this.

Also, has your bike ever been tipped over? Hexheads are notorious for having a cracked insulator on the plugs with just a simple tip over. Ask me how I know. Try examining the insulators closely on each plug. If your bike has been on it's side there may be just a slight fracture in the plug insulator that can greatly affect it's performance.

In diagnosing most of the issues with my 2007 GSA I have found that often times it is the simplest of things that makes the biggest difference. Just a thought.
I had not considered something that simple! My GS has not been down yet (like the last one on trails near Moab) but I will check the plugs. Thank you for the suggestion.

Jeff
Old 03-09-2011, 06:55 AM   #454
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 31,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen View Post
So did you notice any changes/improvements?

JJ
Much smoother and better throttle response.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Old 03-09-2011, 11:17 AM   #455
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 12,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
On my wifes F650 I matched the valve clearances a while back. Every thing was within spec but I found that by swaping shims around and buying one more I was able to match the two intakes and the two exhausts. I don't really ride the bike but she claimed the bike ran better than ever. I wouldn't have expected that on a single cylinder but it seems that matching clearances is worth the effort.

Do stand up guys lie?
Old 03-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #456
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 14,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
That pretty much matches what my experience in applying OVAD to the 11xx series of valve set ups. Although when taken to the extreme there was this degree of effortless engine response and a 'silky' quality to how the entire bike responded. So part of that is probably psychological and part due to the extra lowered vibration from the engine.

JJ
Old 03-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #457
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 5,872
This goofy 1150 and a couple of Japanese sportbikes are the only bikes I've ever owned with more than two vales in a cylinder.
Over the past year I never checked the valve clearances. And yes it does feel a little jittery.

Maybe. Hard for me to say the bike is any rougher running than previous years. It is every bit as strong as it ever was. As I recall the last time I checked the valve clearances everybody felt really close to the same. I only tweaked an adjustment here and there because I could not because it was out of spec.

I recall having a tune up done at a dealer back when the bike was in for some warranty work. I had this curiosity about how the bike would come back.
The answer was incredible. It was so smooth I pulled the valve covers to check the clearances myself and finding things nicely matched, checked the TB balance which was also very well done.

The second time that same dealer, different service manager did the work the bike barely got me home, (this was 80,000 miles after the first time, though I had been rigorous about the maintenance in between these services), I was amazed to find broken wires, TB's way, way off, (The shop had replaced two pushrods so they had to make some adjustments. OK, should have made some adjustments). I found Everything wrong.
Nuts loose to the point of falling off, One bad stick coil, disconnected ground to my navigation wiring, along with numerous leaks and piss poor quality workmanship. I never returned to the dealer for so much as a crush ring.

I fixed it all and got back to riding bliss.

It has now been something closing in on 70,000 miles since that and the only thing a dealer has seen of this bike has been the final drive for the semi-annual seals replacement.

Now, here's how all this relates to this thread...
When Jim stopped by and attached some prototype electronic bits to my bike, which had not had a "proper" tune up in maybe 15,000 or so miles, it was immediately obvious that the bike idled smoother. The usual stumble that has been there since at idle since about 50,000 miles was gone.
And when riding it was ever so much smoother. Whacking the throttle was not a requirement to get the frontend happy.

Now, some small print...
This bike has 163,000 and change miles on it and gets ridden. It wheelies, jumps and slides every day I ride.
Even in the wet.

Practice makes perfect. Don't try this at home. Professional asshat on a not-so-closed course.
Your mileage may vary. Batteries not included. Hand wash drip dry.

And finally I am looking forward to the production bits, and I promise to perform my very best tune up prior to installation. And I am very good at tune ups.

Really, really fine print...
The Japanese bike I rode before this? A 1997 CBR900RR, that I put 100,000 miles on, commuting, traveling, riding canyons and racetracks. I never ever changed a since shim under any of the many buckets and that motor ran perfectly. That bike was as strong the day it rolled out of my garage into the hands of it's new owner as it was the day I finished the first tune up nearly 75,000 miles prior.
It took me a long time to get used to the BMW, with it's comparatively crap brakes, almost no power, piss poor handling mastodon-ish weight and near thumper vibrating engine.
But, I have. Part of that was getting rid of that damned Honda that was going to force me into a new cam, dyno time and more tuning,

Man I miss that bike some days. Then I remember how much of a ticket lure that thing was. Bright red.

Anyway that's enough entertainment for now. I suppose we get to wait until the economy micro or macro tanks again so our electronic heroes have enough time on their hands to get'r done.

Hey Jim! Daytona is Saturday, and I think Bubba is coming done. Bet I can find some tall cold ones and something to burn out on the grill too.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:24 AM   #458
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,602
Regarding IICE Air delivery...

Here's the plan!

The assembly task being what it is, I'm going to build only the quantity to match the order. One single batch process, so to speak.

This is how it will work. You'll place your orders over a 2 week period. I'll order boards and parts and connectors and such, and make delivery 4 weeks later. You'll have 'leading throttle enrichment' ready for Spring rides!

Right now I'm setting up a PayPal 'buy-it-now' button, for one-click convenience.

Thanks for your patience, one and all!

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 03-10-2011, 07:19 AM   #459
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 5,872
Old 03-10-2011, 11:37 PM   #460
chopperdoc60
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Question price?

Poolside: Greetings from Afghanistan once again (last time). Internet sucks where I am, search not working well. I missed the planned price. Any information would be great! I need a project for R and R in July!! There are great roads here to ride, except for all the damn mines...
Old 03-11-2011, 05:15 AM   #461
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 858
OK folks let's tamp down the enthusiasm and focus. What was the topic and strategic objective anyways?
06' 650 Vstrom
Old 03-11-2011, 05:46 AM   #462
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperdoc60 View Post

Poolside: Greetings from Afghanistan once again (last time). Internet sucks where I am, search not working well. I missed the planned price. Any information would be great! I need a project for R and R in July!! There are great roads here to ride, except for all the damn mines...
For the batch order the planned price is $65 plus $7.50 shipping to 50 states, and sales tax if shipped to a California address.

The thread in the Vendors forum will be up later today.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 03-11-2011, 05:56 AM   #463
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by allonsye View Post

OK folks let's tamp down the enthusiasm and focus. What was the topic and strategic objective anyways?
The objective was to improve the response and drivability of the evil fuel injection system on BMW bikes. Mission accomplished.

The current objective is to build a batch of the first version. The first version, the IICE Air, is an adjustable device that richens the air fuel ratio during acceleration.

The next objective is to build a batch of the second version. The second version, the IICE Cool, is an adjustable device that massively improves transient throttle response.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:01 AM   #464
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post

The objective was to improve the response and drivability of the evil fuel injection system on BMW bikes. Mission accomplished.

The current objective is to build a batch of the first version. The first version, the IICE Air, is an adjustable device that richens the air fuel ratio during acceleration.

The next objective is to build a batch of the second version. The second version, the IICE Cool, is an adjustable device that massively improves transient throttle response.
And the third version will do...both?
So will we need both or is it one or the other or...?

I tell it what it wants to hear, and it does what I want it to do. I made that Motronic my bitch. Poolside

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6
Old 03-11-2011, 06:06 AM   #465
BenFongTorres
Banned

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post

So...a Power Commander basically?
Closed Thread