Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #511
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,735

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddr View Post

Poolside, can you comment on expected performance related to the overpriced resistor?
It's the same, plus three.

The IICE Air is adjustable to one of 4 settings. The settings represent 4 different 'temperature offsets' of the Intake Air Temperature (IAT).

The 4 settings are:
0C offset (Uses factory-installed IAT sensor)
-10C offset
-20C offset
-30C offset

IICE Air is factory set to -20C offset.

Important note: Without the -10C adjustment, the device will not work with the future products.

At the -20C setting it performs identical to these devices:
Link to other Intake Air Temperature offset devices.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 03-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #512
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Addict View Post

This is a well presented product http://www.boosterplug.com/

He has taken the time to present his product and defend it.

I am not saying it works (or doesn't) but I would be reasonably sure I knew what I was getting.

The cart is behind the horse, not in front of it.
What are we talking about here, a dissertation?

It should be noted that the hyperbolic verbiage on the other five similar product sites has changed since the start of the Hotrodding the GS thread. Their product and performance descriptions now line up with the claims in this thread.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 03-13-2011 at 05:38 AM
Old 03-12-2011, 11:05 PM   #513
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
I share your concerns but.....

Considering the potential wrath that these guys will receive on this forum if the product does not deliver as advertised, I think that the 75 bucks I'm shelling out to be worth the investment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dakar View Post
That's a pretty weak rationalization.

I'd like pics, a concise description, installation instructions, etc. before I cough up the cash. It looks to me like you've got a bunch of people paying you to further your research.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dakar View Post
I mean, you've done the heavy lifting, right? I've been following this thread since the beginning. I'm NOT going back and reading it all again.

Pics. Concise description of function. Installation instructions.

Seems fair, right?
It sure does seem fair.

Installation instructions will be like this:

Installation instructions for the plug-in portion of the installation will be provided. The installation instructions are very simple, amounting to Step 1: Unplug, Step 2: Plug. There will be a little more detail than that in the instructions, but not much more.

Installation instructions will not include how to get to the Intake Air Temperature sensor on your particular bike. The sensor is located right on the outside of the airbox. Check your service manual if you don't know where to find the sensor, or how to get to it.

Concise description of function:
It improves Leading Throttle Acceleration. How much? A lot!

And so you don't have to read back over the whole thread, here is a link to the clearest and concisest of the bunch.

I'll get to the pictures of the enclosure later.

Poolside screwed with this post 03-12-2011 at 11:16 PM
Old 03-13-2011, 12:40 AM   #514
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post

What are we talking about here, a dissertation?

It should be noted that the hyperbolic verbiage on the other five similar product sites has changed since the start of the Hotrodding the GS thread. Their product and performance descriptions now line up with the claims in this thread.

And let me add that some of the text is still quite vague and flowery.
Case in point this is quote from the Boosterplug site.
  • Improved and softer throttle response.
  • Enrichment of Fuel/Air mixture when you open the throttle will improve acceleration.
  • Remove the Jerky low speed running that is typical for modern lean burn engines.
  • Stronger and more reliable Idle.
  • Reduced Puffing in your aftermarket exhaust.

Now granted English isn't his primary language and so a degree of latitude should be allowed.
And if the description above is understandable and acceptable then it will also apply to IICE Air.

And it should be noted that the verbiage while it is better now than just a short time back, still leaves a great deal left to the imagination. And this applies to every site we looked at. In fact it could be said that the original verbiage of the sites we investigated were instrumental in convincing us to 'set the record straight'.

And so we prefer the more technically correct verbiage of improves "leading throttle acceleration" and "open loop operation", mostly because that is exactly what this modification does.

And for more of an explanation of "leading throttle acceleration" and "open loop operation" see these posts
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=62
and
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=146
and see the link in Poolsides previous post

Yeah there is a fair amount of info there but for now just pay attention to the "leading throttle" and "open loop operation" portions, because that is what IICE Air does.

It improves the engines response to opening the throttle (there is more to it but lets leave it simplified for now).

That is what ANY and EVERY air temperature sensor modification does, or at least that is the purpose of the modification. Some are more exact than others in their degree of applicability and precision.

In terms of rideability or performance (yer butt dyno) it improves throttle response, as in reduces the delay between you and the engine. AND it improves the power generated by the engine any time the throttle is opened to any particular setting.

In other words as Poolside said previously;
"This is important:
The air temperature controls the 'open loop fuel mixture'.
snip

"What do you mean by open loop fuel mixture?"
Here's what I mean. The fuel injection computer reads the air temperature and air pressure, and computes the 'weight' of the air. Then, based on the RPM and how far the throttle is open, it computes how much air is going into the motor. Finally, it squirts the right 'weight' of fuel into the motor to make the right air fuel ratio. For example, the familiar 14.7:1 by weight ratio."

So here is my paraphrasing. With the IICE Air temperature sensor sending a lowered signal, the fuel injection computer believes the air is denser than it really is, so it injects the proper amount of fuel to achieve the magic 14.7:1 air fuel ratio for that air density based on the lowered air temperature (which is slightly more fuel than what would be calculated for warmer air) for the conditions the engine is running at that moment.

And yes there is more involved, but this is a simplified description of what is going on to make it easier to understand.

Viola, a better running engine.

JJ
ps (I hope I'm saying all of this correctly, Poolside is an exacting task master).

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590

johnjen screwed with this post 03-13-2011 at 12:55 PM
Old 03-13-2011, 05:54 AM   #515
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by fir_chan View Post
Will these be made available for overseas Inmates??

Our climate here runs between 20-40 deg celcius all year round.... either its hot and humid or wet with Monsoon like rains....

I thought maybe your adjustable unit may be an option for us here in South East Asia.
Regarding foreign orders and shipping, I'm checking into that. I'll send you a PM with some details.

If the climate has a wide temperature range, having an adjustment is an improvement.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:57 AM   #516
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,990
Poolside, Please add me to the list that you are going to PM with foreign order details as where I am and where I ride I can see temps of 40c to 10 or lower centigrade in the same day and elevations from sea level to 10,000ft.
It should make a good proving ground.
Thanks!
Old 03-13-2011, 06:18 AM   #517
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Addict View Post

C'mon guys....I have done lots of product development in my career and up front info is the key to sales success.

Do you have a .pdf instruction manual? One the would explain initial setup and installation? Something that we all can read while we wait?

I have a strong technical background and understand what has been discussed so far but I still have questions...what about the guys that are not technically savvy? Condensing 34 pages of discussion doesn't cut it.

I am also curious why there is only a 1 time run of a device that realistically speaking would be have a reasonably long production life.

How about warranty?

If it is truly "plug and play" why do you have this disclaimer in your ad? - "As you know, this is a vehicle electrical part. And like all vehicle electrical parts, they are not returnable." - what could the installer possibly do install it incorrectly?

Frankly after all the hype and discussion on this thread I am confused on the direction that this is suddenly taking.

Signed
I want to believe.

This is almost fun and I want to stress the word almost.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:34 AM   #518
Spoke
semi-feral teen

Oddometer: 777
Poolside- I am interested in the second device can't remember or find acronym:

"The 2nd device works on the oil/coolant temperature. The oil/coolant temperature controls the 'Transient Enrichment' feature, and also Overrun Fuel Cutoff."

Will I be able to use this second device without the use of the IICE Air? I already have the boosterplug and really need an accelerator pump with some addition fuel volume/dwell.

I really appreciate your additional explanation and info and link to critical forum posts.

It entered my blood in 1970 on a Honda QA50
Old 03-13-2011, 06:52 AM   #519
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoke View Post

Poolside- I am interested in the second device can't remember or find acronym:

"The 2nd device works on the oil/coolant temperature. The oil/coolant temperature controls the 'Transient Enrichment' feature, and also Overrun Fuel Cutoff."

Will I be able to use this second device without the use of the IICE Air? I already have the boosterplug and really need an accelerator pump with some addition fuel volume/dwell.

I really appreciate your additional explanation and info and link to critical forum posts.
That's the IICE Cool. The IICE Cool for the CANbus bikes will be adjustable, so it will also work with the other similar-to-IICE Air products. It works fine as a stand alone too.

I'm glad you find the info helpful. Sometimes writing posts for the thread felt like giving birth. With apologies to birthers.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:20 AM   #520
Spoke
semi-feral teen

Oddometer: 777
IICE Cool sounds Kool. I will wait for the IICE Cool for can-bus

It entered my blood in 1970 on a Honda QA50
Old 03-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #521
Jim Glauz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Maybe you missed my question or maybe it was a question not worth answering. I will ask it again. What is the reason for a one time only run with a two week window for ordering. What about the guy who is on an adventure in South America and his heavy 1150 gs is stuck in the mud. It takes him two weeks to pry it out and can't get to a computor to check on the latest adv rider news. Just a suggestion - You might say if we get enough orders after the first run we will have another offering.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:40 AM   #522
Scottly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottly View Post
Poolside: If I understand this all correctly, you have plans to address the individual run conditions (tip in, tip out, etc) with individual devices?

Will these devices eventually interlink, or continue to work independently of each other?

Do these devices (some or all) produce fixed values of output, or variable?
If variable, variable by manual adjustment or adjust automatically to conditions?

Could you please list the distinct advantages over something like the Power Commander with auto tune?

Over here!!!!!!!!! Don't forget meeeeeeee!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2011, 11:29 AM   #523
ollka
Usually lost

Oddometer: 114
And heres another potential overseas order

Wrrrroaaming around with GSA 2010 and Audi S5 SB
Old 03-13-2011, 11:31 AM   #524
Ferdinandus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Hi
What would happen with the cat? Will it respect the enviroment?
What about the noise? I mean, will it be increased?

Thanks

Old 03-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #525
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdinandus View Post
What would happen with the cat? Will it respect the enviroment?
What about the noise? I mean, will it be increased?
Yes, it will work with the catalyst. And no the bike won't get any louder, unless you change the exhaust that is.

Closed Thread