User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 12:08 AM   #691
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,750

Hey, anyone want to commiserate about the state of circuit board manufacturing in the US?

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 04-14-2011, 12:28 AM   #692
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 875
My question is what exactly a "jumper" is and what pin spacing is? Are they teeny-tiny little switches I flip up or down? Or do I have to own some other device to communicate with yours?

IBA # 55612
Old 04-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #693
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsignore View Post
My question is what exactly a "jumper" is and what pin spacing is? Are they teeny-tiny little switches I flip up or down? Or do I have to own some other device to communicate with yours?
This: http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl...=1&q=pc+jumper

Not this: http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl...&q=baby+jumper

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 04-14-2011, 06:58 AM   #694
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Hey, anyone want to commiserate about the state of circuit board manufacturing in the US?
That doesn't sound good!
Old 04-14-2011, 07:24 AM   #695
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,384
Quote:
Does this mean a later date for shipment?

I tell it what it wants to hear, and it does what I want it to do. I made that Motronic my bitch. Poolside

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6
Old 04-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #696
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:

Does that mean you can squeeze in a few more orders?

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:15 AM   #697
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Oddometer: 1,412
Hmm, poolside is it possible to switch pins / move the jumper whilst the bike is running?

If so it'd be really easy to rig up something to switch pins automatically on the fly

a couple of opto isolators, an arduino board with a temperature sensor and some code is all it would take to make the thing completly automatic

Then you could look into using the arduino board for other things, like temp / voltage display.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #698
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 875
So, to make sure I understand, your Device is a circuit board thingy and to change settings I move the jumper from one set of pins to another? When do I put on a sweater?

IBA # 55612
Old 04-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #699
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDakar View Post

Does this mean a later date for shipment?
It's still looking like there's 48 hours to spare. Nothing like cutting it close.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #700
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc mad View Post
Hmm, poolside is it possible to switch pins / move the jumper whilst the bike is running?

If so it'd be really easy to rig up something to switch pins automatically on the fly

a couple of opto isolators, an arduino board with a temperature sensor and some code is all it would take to make the thing completly automatic

Then you could look into using the arduino board for other things, like temp / voltage display.
Yes you can switch it on the fly, though you will probably need to use make-before-break switching logic to avoid triggering an error.

If you're knocking together a breadboard, I'd go with some small solid state relays to switch jumper settings.

That 'open source' Arduino sure is a popular little controller.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:09 AM   #701
Grok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,564
Quote:

Old 04-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #702
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Moen View Post
That doesn't sound good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grok View Post
Tell me about it. This was supposed to be a straightforward process. Something I've done a hundred times.

For various reasons I won't be using the PCB vendor I've been using for most of my career. They're just not the same company, maybe this recent downturn had something do do with it. For nearly 30 years they were the go-to fab house, for me anyway.

I put the job out for bid to 4 other US companies. Let me just say that the pricing for Asian circuit boards couldn't be more compelling.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #703
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Yes you can switch it on the fly, though you will probably need to use make-before-break switching logic to avoid triggering an error.

If you're knocking together a breadboard, I'd go with some small solid state relays to switch jumper settings.

That 'open source' Arduino sure is a popular little controller.

Don't know what the hell i was thinking with opto isolators small ssr's would work so much better

They sure are popular little things, i currently have one set up as a gps data logger, logs to a sd card and is real easy to dump the data into google maps. The commercial gps loggers use software that is buggy at best.

Originally made it up to record a track log for a canoe trip down the yukon river later this year. It also works great for recording bike trips and has been on the bike since i bult it. Useful when you've been down a great road or been somewhere cool but can't remember where it was
Old 04-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #704
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc mad View Post

Don't know what the hell i was thinking with opto isolators small ssr's would work so much better
Well, I think most SSRs have optoisolated inputs, so we're both right!

Old 04-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #705
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canadian View Post

Does that mean you can squeeze in a few more orders?
Yes, there is a bit of a silver lining to all this. Read on.

As I was saying, the company I was using is a one-stop shop. Meaning they do all of the 7 or so individual PCB fab processes in-house. After failing to find a realistically-priced short run PCB house, I resorted to the other alternative. Namely, to use locally-based individual service companies, and walk the boards through the separate fab processes myself.

No big deal. All I have to do is locate and vet 7 separate local companies that I've never done business with, that are reasonably priced, that other companies speak highly of, and can deliver within the scheduled time frame.

No problem. I had one lead to a copper plating company that I used 25 years ago. I wonder if they're still in business? Surprisingly, they are, and the guy remembers me! "Did you used to come over here with your dog?" he asks. Yep that was me!

Anyway, it's been 2 weeks and as of yesterday I think I found all the right service providers.

And now to the silver lining part. Due to the minimum order requirements of several of these companies, there's going to be lots of extra boards. Something like over 1000 extra! And, they will be lead free RoHS compliant. That means if and when the time comes, they can be shipped worldwide.

Closed Thread