User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #901
Johnny Dakar
Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer: 13,848
I thought epoxy cured faster in the cold?
"Just sharing this quiet time is intimate, our tent, our bikes and our faces illuminated by yellow light from the fire. This is why we travel. To experience those rare moments of perfection of solitude of life."
-Simon Thomas
Old 06-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #902
mdmaroon
Mike

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dakar View Post
Old 06-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #903
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dakar View Post
Nope, cooling mixed epoxy can stretch out the time before the hardening reaction starts, can be useful in some circumstances.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:37 AM   #904
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,557
Is it dry yet? What oven material did you go with?
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
Old 06-10-2011, 08:12 AM   #905
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,824
Assembly report.

Ok, hello all! Here's what I've been up to. After many an all-nighter in the shop, I think I've sorted out all the kinks in the IICE Air build process. I'm estimating the output to be 10 a day (!). Does that seem like a little, or a lot? Personally, I think it is what it is, as they say.

This 'little' project has turned out to be far more than I bargained for, and at the same time I'm really glad I took it on.

For the last recent history I've been doing circuit design work, and a little firmware. But I really like setting up little short-run assembly operations. Though I enjoy it, I haven't done it a few years (can you tell? :-)) so I was a bit rusty. But it's all coming back to me, and frustration and all, I'm enjoying myself.

I guess the thing is, I had to jump in at some point. I'm glad I picked this one, and I'm glad to have you folks as customers!

I'm anxious to start work on the next product, the IICE Cool. A companion to the IICE Air. But right now, I'm up to my knees with assembly. I'll try to check in tonight.

While I'm working I often listen to FIP.

FIP Radio France
http://sites.radiofrance.fr/chaines/fip/accueil/
FIP's programming is an eclectic mix of musical genres: chanson, rock, world music, classical music, film music, jazz and more, but connected with a theme. FIP is one of the few stations with this type of programming in the world. (from Wikipedia)

128k stream
http://mp3.live.tv-radio.com/fip/all/fiphautdebit.mp3
(Plug link into Winamp or eq.)

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 06-10-2011, 08:27 AM   #906
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964 View Post

Is it dry yet? What oven material did you go with?
Oh yea, it's dry alright! I was using a double thickness of corrugated cardboard for the oven box. But check this out. Somewhere between 130 and 140F the epoxy starts an exothermic chain reaction, and melts the plastic container. Apparently there's some temperature/sectional thickness curve, and I was on the wrong side of it.

So it's going to be an ambient temperature cure. The parts can come out of the holding fixture after 18 hours, but the full cure takes another 18.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 06-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #907
Codewheeney
Hoopy Frood

Oddometer: 2,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
While I'm working I often listen to FIP.

FIP Radio France
http://sites.radiofrance.fr/chaines/fip/accueil/
FIP's programming is an eclectic mix of musical genres: chanson, rock, world music, classical music, film music, jazz and more, but connected with a theme. FIP is one of the few stations with this type of programming in the world. (from Wikipedia)

128k stream
http://mp3.live.tv-radio.com/fip/all/fiphautdebit.mp3
(Plug link into Winamp or eq.)

Sweet, new moto bits and a recommendation for tunes. Bring it!

Plays in traffic.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:37 PM   #908
Parrothead
Cu Dubh

Oddometer: 436
Poolside, you frickin' rock! Get 'em boy!
"... You can go through life fudging and evading, indulging and slacking, never really hungry nor frightened nor passionately stirred, your highest moment a sentimental orgasm and your first real contact with primary and elemental necessities the sweat of your deathbed." - H.G Wells
Old 06-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #909
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Assembly report.

Alright, it looks like the details of the 'epoxy fill sequence' and the holding fixture are sorted. And as of a few minutes ago the first three completed IICE Airs are sitting in fixtures and the epoxy is curing. (!) Tomorrow I'll see how they look, and make adjustments if needed. After that, the remainder of the wiring harness and connectors get put together, each little board gets stuffed with parts, the pop-top waterproof vial is attached to the board, the harness is soldered to the board, and small final assembly batches can begin. From there forward it's just a process of plugging along.

I know, 'epoxy fill sequence' seems like some kind of overblown term for just filling a little box with epoxy. I wish it were that simple. The little box gets pre-filled with epoxy (5.7 grams), then the electrics and wiring are slowly lowered in partway, and the whole thing is tightened in the fixture. After 3 minutes the electrics and wiring are lowered into the final position and left to cure. Without that 3 minute pause, the epoxy overflows the side of the enclosure. If there were some other way to do this I sure wish I'd think of it. This would not be such a big deal if the enclosure were bigger than one cubic postage stamp.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow after everything cures. I was getting the black goo all over everything and it would have been all over the camera.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:28 AM   #910
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmaroon View Post
Old 06-14-2011, 06:24 AM   #911
jbdesigns
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Well I truly believe I will be getting a hand crafted product made with a little love for the sport. For anyone who initially thought poolside was doing this to make some good, easy scratch was very naive to manufacturing small electrical parts.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:03 AM   #912
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdesigns View Post

Well I truly believe I will be getting a hand crafted product made with a little love for the sport. For anyone who initially thought poolside was doing this to make some good, easy scratch was very naive to manufacturing small electrical parts.
Thanks for the kind words JB! I must say, I didn't figure on easy, but I sure didn't figure this either, heh heh.

Not that I'm blaming myself, cause I am the guy that came up with these specifications. The design and assembly process would be very different if the product were non-adjustable. Like all of the other competitive products.

Making it adjustable, yet still be a simple plug-in installation, is what took all the design time. Now unexpected difficulties are taking all the build time. But what can I say, I wanted it the way I wanted it*. How does the saying go? I was looking at the menu, and my eyes were bigger than my stomach!

This meal is kicking my butt a little, but it's alright. I'm built for this sort of thing. Wait till you see the next couple of products! And, how they work together with this one.

*I can't even blame Marketing. (Hey where is marketing anyway?! I haven't seen hide nor hair of them.) Seriously though, JJ said it would be much easier to make the product adjustable if the the installation involved hooking up a power lead. Boy was he ever right!

Old 06-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #913
chopperdoc60
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
So, not that I'm totally impatient, but I'll be home for R and R the end of July. Will I be able to install this thing while I'm home?

It's really cool to see the progress of this little project. Be proud of the work!
Old 06-14-2011, 09:44 AM   #914
Poolside OP
Syndicated

It looks like the first one off the line will be on a bike by Friday. So, I'd say it's a safe bet it will be waiting for you when you get home.

I'm done for the day, well, my day anyway. I seem to always end up on the 3rd shift when I'm working on a project. I'll check in later.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #915
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 887
Are there gonna be T-shirts and stickers and stuff available from the Marketing Dept.?

"IICE Air: Worth the wait"

"IICE Cool: In like a glacier, out like a hotrod"

all in good fun

IBA # 55612
Closed Thread