User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #1456
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,971
Oh man, I can barely stand the wait, but thanks for the update.

Looking forward to lofting some massive monos with this sweet thing.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #1457
DidYouSeeThat
Uhhhh... Where?

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane dr View Post
+1
08 TE250 - with 300cc Kit
10 Rubicon
Old 09-21-2011, 02:59 AM   #1458
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Oh man, I can barely stand the wait, but thanks for the update.

Looking forward to lofting some massive monos with this sweet thing.
Heh heh, and you said you never much listen to Marketing.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 09-21-2011, 08:54 AM   #1459
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,442
So how long until production of IceCool?
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
Old 09-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #1460
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,181
Question Another Order...Hope I am Not Too Late!

I am really late to this party...yes I use a BP and it does work...but you are correct on 100 degree days I could use a richer setting...still get a rattle with a 'hot engine and hot day' off road at very slow speeds or just taking off..

Again...on road I could care less, but off road in 1st at walking speeds on blistering days I hate to rattle the motor!

Just returned from 1,200 mile [900+ miles off road] trip into Steens Mountain and Alvord Desert country....high temps generated the occasional rattle described above. Problem is that I need to go slowly over technical stuff off road and can't keep the RPMs up; slipping the dry clutch is only for emergencies! A richer mixture is the solution and with 8.7 gallons of fuel loosing a few MPGs at slow speeds doesn't bother me a bit to save my engine from self-digesting.

Thanks,
Phil

'07 GSA

Ps...Put me in for the ICE and COOL
Old 09-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #1461
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Assembly report.

Situation normal.

The other day I posted the assembly schedule for the remaining orders.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...0#post16888000

Regarding that schedule, the 1st 30 pieces are on schedule. They went into the epoxy fixtures and finished the first cure stage, and are in the middle of the second cure period and will be shipped after that.

But, early yesterday morning I found out there were a parts change with a vendor, and that caused some issues. JJ and I think we have them worked out. Here's what happened.

I used all the vials during initial testing and these first batches, and had to order more. To me that's pretty exciting, re-ordering parts means the product is a small success!

The current batch of 30 IICE Airs are in the background. The last of the vials went into building them.

I started in doing the prep work for the vials, cutting, drilling etc., and everything was going smoothly. But then I noticed something, these new vials are not the same as the previous ones. The new vial is on the right in the picture below. The new plastic material is semi opaque, compared to the see-through material on the left.

What the heck? Did I order the wrong part number? Nope. Let me check the distributor website. The product picture shown below is from their site, and is the same picture as last time. But this new part has slightly different dimensions than the previous part, and is molded from different material.

The thing is, this new semi-opaque material isn't going to work. I need to see through the side wall of the vial in order to pour the epoxy to the correct level. You can't see much through this new material. Crud. Vendor changes of this sort is common enough when buying from distributors. But either way this is a heck of thing to find out at 3am on Tuesday morning with a deadline in front of you.

Here's why the opaque material is a problem. If you remember from earlier reports, one of the final assembly steps is an epoxy potting process. The assembled IICE Air is mounted in a fixture to keep everything lined up while the epoxy is poured in and cures.

The side wall of the vial must be clear enough to see through. At least well enough to pour the epoxy to the right level, and not overfill it. (Note: The silver wire 'stirrups' soldered into the board and passing through the vial are 'guy wires' to lash the vial firmly in place.)

This is the perfect level. An epoxy overfill will 'flood' the jumper array.

I spent much of the day yesterday trying to locate another source for the previous vial. Then JJ and I talked for a couple of hours about possible solutions. We discussed different ways to fixture the part. Some type of fixture that would hold the part in a way that I could look in through the open cap while pouring the epoxy.

About 2 and half hours into it JJ came up with an idea! Leave it to Marketing!

The excellent plan is to do the epoxy encapsulation in 2 separate pours. First a light pour, maybe 25% of the total amount needed. Let that cure and remove the part from the fixture. The cured epoxy from the first pour will hold everything in place without a fixture. Super! Open the vial cap and complete the second pour. You can see from the picture above, with the cap open, the epoxy level is clearly visible.

Doing a primary 'short pour', and using the epoxy as a fixture, was a stroke of genius JJ!

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 09-21-2011 at 11:38 AM
Old 09-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #1462
grpweld
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
both of you are awesome!!!
Old 09-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #1463
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,218
There's a visual I didn't need.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #1464
johnjen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,500
Now along with marketings signature always positive can do attitude

YES!™®©

It should also be noted it has X-ray vision with which it can peer into the hearts and minds of ALL past and potential new customers alike. And now with these new fangled contraptions called confuzers it has a memory like an elephant. Which is to say, if it can just figure out how to push the right buttons, it can know all and see even more!

And don't worry DELTATANGO you'll get your's

Just as soon as we remember which buttons need to get pushed and in which order…

YES!™®©
marketing RULZ
only apply to marketing

JJ
ps it won't be much longer now that we're in the home stretch.

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
Old 09-22-2011, 12:49 AM   #1465
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post

I am really late to this party...yes I use a BP and it does work...but you are correct on 100 degree days I could use a richer setting...still get a rattle with a 'hot engine and hot day' off road at very slow speeds or just taking off..

Again...on road I could care less, but off road in 1st at walking speeds on blistering days I hate to rattle the motor!

Just returned from 1,200 mile [900+ miles off road] trip into Steens Mountain and Alvord Desert country....high temps generated the occasional rattle described above. Problem is that I need to go slowly over technical stuff off road and can't keep the RPMs up; slipping the dry clutch is only for emergencies! A richer mixture is the solution and with 8.7 gallons of fuel loosing a few MPGs at slow speeds doesn't bother me a bit to save my engine from self-digesting.

Ps...Put me in for the ICE and COOL
Will do. Everybody can have one, we're having a big sale.

Yes the BP works (note: the initials BP refer to the Booster Plug), and so do the other competitive products. The significant issue with the other products is the improvement must stop there. Any attempt to improve the Transient Throttle fueling response will result in an overly rich mixture and less power. An over rich mixture feels the same as an over lean mixture, they both make less power.

The upcoming IICE Cool product improves the Transient Throttle fueling response. And because the IICE Air is adjustable, the mixture stays right on the money.

But enough about how great the IICE Air is, let's talk about your high-temp issue. I don't know exactly what you mean by "rattle the motor". I'm thinking maybe you mean pinging. And that the "rattling" happens at very low speeds or taking off. Can you clarify a little more what you mean, and what you're doing when it happens?

My guess is, you mean begin with the bike at rest and the motor idling. Start advancing the throttle while engaging the clutch as quickly as possible. Let's call it the direct opposite of 'fanning' the clutch.

[Edit] But that's just a guess, Phil. What's happening at the time, and what do you mean by "rattle"?

Poolside screwed with this post 09-22-2011 at 08:15 AM
Old 09-22-2011, 12:57 AM   #1466
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964 View Post

So how long until production of IceCool?
We're planning on one more big sale of IICE Airs before we turn our attention to the IICE Cool.

I know, that doesn't answer the question. But that's the chronology. Details will follow.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:00 AM   #1467
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
We're planning on one more big sale of IICE Airs before we turn our attention to the IICE Cool.

I know, that doesn't answer the question. But that's the chronology. Details will follow.

Just watchin
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
Old 09-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #1468
grpweld
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
There's a visual I didn't need.
whatchu talkin bout willis
Old 09-22-2011, 10:12 AM   #1469
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by grpweld View Post
whatchu talkin bout willis
There is a post gone missing. ;) Now mine makes no sense at all. lol Just like most of my posts.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #1470
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,181
The "Rattle"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Yes the BP works (note: the initials BP refer to the Booster Plug), and so do the other competitive products. The significant issue with the other products is the improvement must stop there. Any attempt to improve the Transient Throttle fueling response will result in an overly rich mixture and less power. An over rich mixture feels the same as an over lean mixture, they both make less power.

The upcoming IICE Cool product improves the Transient Throttle fueling response. And because the IICE Air is adjustable, the mixture stays right on the money.

But enough about how great the IICE Air is, let's talk about your high-temp issue. I don't know exactly what you mean by "rattle the motor". I'm thinking maybe you mean pinging. And that the "rattling" happens at very low speeds or taking off. Can you clarify a little more what you mean, and what you're doing when it happens?

My guess is, you mean begin with the bike at rest and the motor idling. Start advancing the throttle while engaging the clutch as quickly as possible. Let's call it the direct opposite of 'fanning' the clutch.

[Edit] But that's just a guess, Phil. What's happening at the time, and what do you mean by "rattle"?

The rattle sounds like marbles in a can...I am assuming it is pre-ignition..it occurs when the bike is asked to provide a lot of grunt at very low RPMs when the engine is hot. Yes, as you guessed, when starting from a stop, loaded, hot day, hot engine it will sometimes rattle no matter how fast you dump the clutch and bring up the RPMs...a classic is also going very slowly up hill over "technical" loose/rocky/rutted off road paths when the engine is hot and you let the RPMs get below 2,000 [first gear] and suddenly need to increase your speed to save a slam-bang...roll on throttle and it can rattle briefly until RPMs build and torque kicks in to get the speed up...on difficult off road stuff you are often going to fast for good control of the bike in first gear if you keep the RPMs up; dog it down and it will rattle under a load. Hell, I have spun the back TKC to keep the RPMs up under the described situations on a hill, but that isn't always possible to do and stay in control of the dancing bike.

Wallowa screwed with this post 09-22-2011 at 01:24 PM
Closed Thread