ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #151
Rhino-1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderdoggie View Post
great pictures and videos. "Rider914" and "The rider" surely deserve a not only did they lead the ride and came to this noobs rescue time and again, but also did the RR on an epic day. I'd like to do it again just as soon as I fix the clutch on my BRP and get some life back in my right leg which is still not fully functional from kick starting pig about a 1000 times
Thunderdoggie, did you burn up your clutch too? I know Ben had some clutch issues. I have to say that my RevLoc performed admirably. The only thing I'm changing for the next ride is to add a rear foot brake lever, and gear down a bit (maybe down a tooth in the front). I'm a bit sore everywhere, but not too bad.

'03 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, '04 Aprilia Mille Factory, '75 Honda CB125S
Rhino-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #152
Rhino-1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Nuked double post.

Rhino-1 screwed with this post 12-28-2010 at 09:06 PM
Old 12-29-2010, 07:49 AM   #153
thunderdoggie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin8r View Post
Thunderdoggie, did you burn up your clutch too? I know Ben had some clutch issues. I have to say that my RevLoc performed admirably. The only thing I'm changing for the next ride is to add a rear foot brake lever, and gear down a bit (maybe down a tooth in the front). I'm a bit sore everywhere, but not too bad.
I had very tall gearing on my bike, expecting to ride nice long easy fire roads and hi speed desert runs. Ben and I both cooked our clutches while trying to dig out of the mud pit that we got stuck in, and I did more damage to it in all the technical stuff. all in all a small price to pay for such an epic day specially since all the men and their machines made it home safe.
thunderdoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #154
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 1,954
I just recently put new sprockets and chain on my DR650... went with a 46 rear, and I have 14/15/16T front sprockets to swap around depending on the terrain. It only takes ten minutes to swap one. I have the 16 on right now since I do mostly road riding.

For tires, I'm going to pick up D606's for the DV Noob ride, but I really like my Shinko E-700's for mostly street and some dirt use.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:24 AM   #155
thunderdoggie
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I just recently put new sprockets and chain on my DR650... went with a 46 rear, and I have 14/15/16T front sprockets to swap around depending on the terrain. It only takes ten minutes to swap one. I have the 16 on right now since I do mostly road riding.

For tires, I'm going to pick up D606's for the DV Noob ride, but I really like my Shinko E-700's for mostly street and some dirt use.

Rob
I do have various size sprockets that I often swap around for the type of ride I expect to do, Last Sunday I was caught off guard, I think we are all a little surprised with the conditions.
1+ on the D606, that what I have now. I have had MT21 rear and D606 front combo, found it to be very good set up for dirt, but very short life on the pavement.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:44 AM   #156
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 1,954
I've heard they don't last well on pavement, and that they aren't too comfortable either. I'll be RVing it at the DV ride, so it should be a 90% dirt day. I may just pick up another set of wheels to avoid having to do too many tire swaps.

BTW is there anybody decent in the Inland Empire area who can true my front wheel?

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #157
Rhino-1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I've heard they don't last well on pavement, and that they aren't too comfortable either. I'll be RVing it at the DV ride, so it should be a 90% dirt day. I may just pick up another set of wheels to avoid having to do too many tire swaps.

BTW is there anybody decent in the Inland Empire area who can true my front wheel?

Rob
Well, I don't know about too many shops, but I know that Buchanan's is in El Monte...

Old 12-29-2010, 12:18 PM   #158
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,947
Quote:
Well, I don't know about too many shops, but I know that Buchanan's is in El Monte...
Rob G. You should try doing it yourself first. If it does not work out the take it to Buchanan's. On my Clymer manual it has a how too for wheel truing. Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:05 PM   #159
Off Limits
Banned

Oddometer: 3,266
On my dr650 all ivedoneis dropthe counter 1 tooth. Helped a lot off road but might go back to stock if I actuallyride todeath valley. My rear 606 went 4k miles. Front still had tread on it. 30 pounds pavement 18 in the dirt.
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:18 PM   #160
Rhino-1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rider View Post
On my dr650 all ivedoneis dropthe counter 1 tooth. Helped a lot off road but might go back to stock if I actuallyride todeath valley. My rear 606 went 4k miles. Front still had tread on it. 30 pounds pavement 18 in the dirt.

Rider, what is the stock tooth count on yours? Anyone know what it is on an XR650R? I've got a 15/45 combo on there now, and I just know it is taller than stock....

Old 12-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #161
thunderdoggie
Adventurer

Quote:
Rider, what is the stock tooth count on yours? Anyone know what it is on an XR650R? I've got a 15/45 combo on there now, and I just know it is taller than stock....
stock on my bike is 14/48 mine is a 2002, I think it was the same for all of them, I think 15/45 is from the L model, which has different gear ratio in the transmission. I wonder if they had to change the primary drive or some other gears in your transmission in order to get the auto clutch in. 15/45 seems way too tall for the XRR, your first gear would feel like 3rd or fourth
Old 12-29-2010, 07:26 PM   #162
Off Limits
Banned

I wannasay my dr is 15 45 stock. So now I'm 14 45.
Lower gears better for offroad
Old 12-29-2010, 07:29 PM   #163
Rhino-1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderdoggie View Post
stock on my bike is 14/48 mine is a 2002, I think it was the same for all of them, I think 15/45 is from the L model, which has different gear ratio in the transmission. I wonder if they had to change the primary drive or some other gears in your transmission in order to get the auto clutch in. 15/45 seems way too tall for the XRR, your first gear would feel like 3rd or fourth
I don't think anything was altered when the clutch was installed. It simply has way-tall gearing (for extended highway use, I presume). 14/48? Okay, I'll try the 14t front first.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #164
Off Limits
Banned

I'd say drop a tooth on the front and then go from there. Easy to do and you will notice z difference. All I lost was 10 mph on the highway. Used to guise 80 all day now 70 all day. But for offroad having that lower first gear is well worth the trade.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:06 PM   #165
thunderdoggie
Adventurer

Quote:
I don't think anything was altered when the clutch was installed. It simply has way-tall gearing (for extended highway use, I presume). 14/48? Okay, I'll try the 14t front first.
I think I have a couple of 14t in good condition in my tool box, if you want to try it first, your welcome to borrow it or if you want I'll trade you for a 15t.