ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #181
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,007
FP. Check all the thread or you miss out on alot of good rides. Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #182
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by francisthepig View Post
So is this the new thread to go to for noob type rides? One problem I have with the LA Weekend ride thread is it seems a lot of the rides posted up there are non-noob doable. That or you are going to slow down the faster riders.
subscribed
Oh I warned them already... Someone around here, might be Ben99r1 or Rider, called me a dirt-virgin. So if they get tired of my unusual off-road riding style, they can always leave me there and speed up. I'll catch the next day's riders...

E.S.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #183
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hababam View Post
Oh I warned them already... Someone around here, might be Ben99r1 or Rider, called me a dirt-virgin. So if they get tired of my unusual off-road riding style, they can always leave me there and speed up. I'll catch the next day's riders...

E.S.
Its was the rider that called you a dirt virgin. Will pop that cherry this weekend. My plans for Sunday is to take it easy and explore a little bit. It will be a good chance to work on fundamentals. Ben

Ben99r1 screwed with this post 01-04-2011 at 02:11 PM
Old 01-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #184
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,477
I've never risen a big bike. My dr650 is 375 pounds. So honestly I need to test ride a 990 so I cansee how they really do handle in the dirt. Seriously though, I'm sure if you stAy on those main roads, you should be fine. Also, tryto go soon as the desert is wet and is providing superior traction right now. Do you have crash bars so you don't mess up those fairings if you do drop it?

I'm not sure if I can make it this weekend, but need to find out where that bar is at.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #185
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
Its was the rider that called you a dirt virgin. Will pop that cherry this weekend. My plans for Sunday is to take easy and explore a little bit. It will be a good chance to work on fundamentals. Ben
Sounds great...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rider View Post
I've never risen a big bike. My dr650 is 375 pounds. So honestly I need to test ride a 990 so I cansee how they really do handle in the dirt. Seriously though, I'm sure if you stAy on those main roads, you should be fine. Also, tryto go soon as the desert is wet and is providing superior traction right now. Do you have crash bars so you don't mess up those fairings if you do drop it?

I'm not sure if I can make it this weekend, but need to find out where that bar is at.
I do have the crash bars. I put them on after messing up my fairings and replaced one of them. I need some crash bars for my self...

E.S.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #186
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hababam View Post
Sounds great...

I do have the crash bars. I put them on after messing up my fairings and replaced one of them. I need some crash bars for my self...

E.S.
Check out the ROK GADN body armore. I think they are the best human crash bars you get. Ben
Old 01-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #187
francisthepig
Dances with Lurkers

Oddometer: 153
So on a 10 point scale with 10 being hardest and 1 being a ride on pavement, where do you rank the ride done on the 26th?

Somewhere someone stated that there should be a rating scale to give others an idea of what to expect, I agree.
Maybe something like this.
Level 1- Bring the Harley
Level 2 - 1st timers and true noobs - (fire roads and such)
Level 3 - Don't be afraid to drop your bike and/or Big bike friendly with stock tires, some exp. (fire roads and green jeep trails)
Level 4 -Knobbies, smaller bikes recommended, some exp. (most green jeep trails with some blue, moderate pace)
Level 5 -Same as above, taken a Jimmy Lewis type class (mostly blue with some black jeep trails)
Level 6 -"I used to race pro" (Faster riders on whatever they can find)
Level 7 - "I race pro" (Really fast riders who don't want to wait for slower riders)

This is just me thinking out loud. One thing as a noob I would like to know is what kind of pace the ride leaders are wanting to set.
francisthepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #188
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by francisthepig
...where do you rank the ride done on the 26th?
Under normal conditions, the first half of the 26th would've been an easy 3. Erwin and T-dog could've rode it with only a few baubles and a little stress, no problemo for Ben, and The Rider would've blitzed it (even more so). Recent weather turned it into a hard 5.

Second half of the 26th was what it was (trailblazing single track).

-M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #189
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1
I can only ride on Sunday. How does riding Stoddard wells sound to you guys? Its good for knobs. We can explore the open desert then hit Slash X for lunch. We can meet up then caravan to a stagging area. Meet spot will be at 15 fwy to 138 hwy at the Mc d's lot @ 8:00am. Then we will roll out at 8:30 to stoddard wells road. Post up boys. Ben
I've passed thru Stoddard Wells many times, usually on my way to or from someplace better. The main Stoddard Wells Road is not too bad, other than traffic. The open riding OHV area is lots of sand, gravel, and whoops. Be super careful around the main staging area. Seen crazy accidents every time i've been there (~200lb adult on a 50cc pit bike side-swiping then sliding under a moving motorhome).

The direct routes from SW to Slash-X are whoop city, but you can stick to the main dirt road out to 247 instead. Possible to then loop around to Lucerne Valley and hit a (possibly) dry lake (Rabbit) for another practice area. More dirt back to Hesperia, back to 15/138, back to...

Conditions should be great even if it stays dry for the rest of the week.

I"ve done over 300 miles on my 525 in tha last week. The 950 wants to get out and play. Tires are nearly shot, so that might even things out a bit.

-M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #190
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,477
You guys are killing me, I want a big bike so bad
Old 01-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #191
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Rider914. I wouldn't mine making a big loop back to where we started 15/395. But remember we will have two new dirt riders with us. I know FP (Robert) he rides a stock bmw F800gs. He is a good rider, just needs more seat time. Will all get Hababam on Sunday. He claims to be a new rider so I would like his first time on dirt to remembered for the right reason. Will talk about what everyone is willing to try on Sunday. With the current gearing I have on the bike I max out around 75 mph. Do you think I should put on a some taller gearing? Ben
Old 01-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #192
MadMax
Marveling...

Oddometer: 412
Carrizo Plains trip

If any of you guys with big bikes have never explored the backside of S.B. and SLO counties, Joels' Carrizo Plains trip, coming soon, with an overnight in Santa Maria is an awesome and easy mix of pavement and wide dirt roads.

Check out the new thread-
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649337

MadMax
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #193
Rhino-1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by francisthepig View Post
So is this the new thread to go to for noob type rides? One problem I have with the LA Weekend ride thread is it seems a lot of the rides posted up there are non-noob doable. That or you are going to slow down the faster riders.
subscribed
Beginning to look/Feel like it. 'Cause i'm a true noob, and ain't ashamed to admit it... LOL!

'03 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, '04 Aprilia Mille Factory, '75 Honda CB125S
Rhino-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:57 AM   #194
Rhino-1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider914 View Post
Under normal conditions, the first half of the 26th would've been an easy 3. Erwin and T-dog could've rode it with only a few baubles and a little stress, no problemo for Ben, and The Rider would've blitzed it (even more so). Recent weather turned it into a hard 5.

Second half of the 26th was what it was (trailblazing single track).

-M
Ditto. Was very eye-opening for me as a first ride out in the dirt. But was "doable" and I (and my bike) survived--and made some great memories in teh process.

It would be nice to keep this as the true "noobs" ride list, with an emphasis on noobs wanting to "get better" and riding with much better riders who don't mind teaching us slow-pokes a thing or three.

My hat is off to Rider914, Rider, and Ben99R1 for having such patience with us and demonstrating "trail kindness" to us out there. Without them, I NEVER would have gone up/down/around those trails.

PS, AirbornDad, if a couple of us can do it on Saturday, let's plan to. I need some seat time. It looks like Hababam is in--maybe others?

'03 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, '04 Aprilia Mille Factory, '75 Honda CB125S
Rhino-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #195
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Erwin8r. Is a sand bagger. If it was his first time on the dirt you did really well. You should came out to the Sunday ride. Ben