ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #196
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin8r View Post
Ditto. Was very eye-opening for me as a first ride out in the dirt. But was "doable" and I (and my bike) survived--and made some great memories in teh process.

It would be nice to keep this as the true "noobs" ride list, with an emphasis on noobs wanting to "get better" and riding with much better riders who don't mind teaching us slow-pokes a thing or three.

My hat is off to Rider914, Rider, and Ben99R1 for having such patience with us and demonstrating "trail kindness" to us out there. Without them, I NEVER would have gone up/down/around those trails.

PS, AirbornDad, if a couple of us can do it on Saturday, let's plan to. I need some seat time. It looks like Hababam is in--maybe others?
I'll let you know for sure Friday as soon as I get home from work
But it looks good

The loose plan:
we'll keep it a fairly easy ride with a few challenging areas that if anyone feels up to trying it, you can try it, if not there will be easy go-arounds
don't need to cover a bunch of miles, just get some good riding in, on a variety of terrain so everyone gains a little more dirt experience
grab lunch maybe at summit inn or somewhere near then take another way back
I'll be riding from my house
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #197
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,065
If I can make my schedule cooperate, I'd like to join you guys for this one.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #198
Rhino-1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
Erwin8r. Is a sand bagger. If it was his first time on the dirt you did really well. You should came out to the Sunday ride. Ben

I wish... That was sheer luck coupled with faith... LOL!

Ben, you guys had a Sunday ride?

'03 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, '04 Aprilia Mille Factory, '75 Honda CB125S
Rhino-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #199
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1
... I wouldn't mine making a big loop back to where we started 15/395. But remember we will have two new dirt riders with us. I know FP (Robert) he rides a stock bmw F800gs. He is a good rider, just needs more seat time. Will all get Hababam on Sunday. He claims to be a new rider so I would like his first time on dirt to remembered for the right reason. Will talk about what everyone is willing to try on Sunday. With the current gearing I have on the bike I max out around 75 mph. Do you think I should put on a some taller gearing?
Do you mean 15/138 or 15/395?

Trying to think of a practice area where we could set up some drills for the noobs. Somewhat flat, open, hardpacked, and not a heavily used staging area. Probly some spots along Stoddard Wells Rd. I also know some areas between Hesperia and Lucerne, connecting to Rabbit Dry Lake. (There's also gas and a good Mex joint in Lucerne if not Slash-X.) Either way is pavement to get there and back (I15 or 2-lane back roads). Wouldn't worry much about the gearing, but i'm sure you won't need a super low first.

I'm open for either day.

-M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #200
Rhino-1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider914 View Post

Trying to think of a practice area where we could set up some drills for the noobs. Somewhat flat, open, hardpacked, and not a heavily used staging area. Probly some spots along Stoddard Wells Rd. I also know some areas between Hesperia and Lucerne, connecting to Rabbit Dry Lake. (There's also gas and a good Mex joint in Lucerne if not Slash-X.) Either way is pavement to get there and back (I15 or 2-lane back roads). Wouldn't worry much about the gearing, but i'm sure you won't need a super low first.

I'm open for either day.

-M

Sounds good to me. Call it.

'03 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, '04 Aprilia Mille Factory, '75 Honda CB125S
Rhino-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #201
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider914 View Post

I'm open for either day.

-M

hi mat, if i can make it i like to join you guys.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:48 PM   #202
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,974
Ok guys lets meet at 15fwy and hwy138 at Mc'ds parking lot at 8:00am. We will roll out at 8:30am. We will decide on the details at the lot. Erwin8r,m1jeep and I will meet at my house at 7:00am heading out soon after. The in list rider914, Erwin8r, Hababam, frachisepig, M1jeep, and Me. H8chain is a maybe. This is going to be a noob and big bike friendly ride. Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:55 AM   #203
Off Limits
Really?

Oddometer: 3,284
Wouldn't worry much about the gearing, but i'm sure you won't need a super low first.

im gonna say if you are a noob, and since this isnt a pavement ride, gear down. your gonna want that low first in the dirt just in case. it makes a huge difference. my dr650 sucked dog doo doo with the stoack gears. cruised 80mph all the way to death valley last year no problem. but in the dirt if i ever hit second, i was flying. i went 1 tooth smaller on the front sprocket and it lowered first and made second usable on trails instead of just fire roads. i still would like to add 1 tooth to the rear sprocket

im sure a brand new 990 is geared the same way for smog and noise bs also.
you guys have a fun ride this weekend, i got inlaws coming in fron finland and staying a month. see ya in death valley!
Old 01-06-2011, 06:43 AM   #204
KLRrob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
So what day....Sat or Sun?
KLRrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #205
dirtdadx
Noob ad Infinitum

Oddometer: 480
I can make it Saturday. Working Sundays this month.
dirtdadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #206
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRrob View Post
So what day....Sat or Sun?
Looks like both days
I'm 99.5 % good to go for Sat

I'll lead Sat
Ben will lead Sun

Sat will be a warm up ride for Sunday - slower paced Less distance

I Might make Sunday too but I wont know til Sunday morning 6:00 a.m.
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:54 AM   #207
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,142
Looks like fun but I'll be prepping the new house this weekend so I can move next weekend.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #208
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,182
Laugh

Quote:
Ok guys lets meet at 15fwy and hwy138 at Mc'ds parking lot at 8:00am. We will roll out at 8:30am. We will decide on the details at the lot. Erwin8r,m1jeep and I will meet at my house at 7:00am heading out soon after. The in list rider914, Erwin8r, Hababam, frachisepig, M1jeep, and Me. H8chain is a maybe. This is going to be a noob and big bike friendly ride. Ben
Sat or sun?? Inquiring mind want to know,BTW I'll be on a roost prone SE
Old 01-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #209
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,862
Looking forward to getting out for a ride after all the rain. Its going to be nipply so dress warm fellas. I just need to change oil, filter, plugs, and replace the speedo gear on the DR. See you all there.

Rich

Sent from my T-Mobile G2
My YouTube
Save $5 when you sign-up with SmugMug: COUPON
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #210
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,876
So SATURDAY @ 8:00am - 15 Fwy & Hwy 138 @ McDonald's
Airbornedad leads...
And for me if I survive, SUNDAY the same time and location Ben leads...
Right?
Also, I'll be coming from Lakewood, Long Beach (91 & 710), can I meet you somewhere along the road 60, 10 or 210?

E.S.

Quote:

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube

FYYFF screwed with this post 01-06-2011 at 09:45 AM
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote