Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,357
Looking forward to more.
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:05 AM   #17
ADVCoot
Wandering around

Oddometer: 329
Sam, Sam, Sam…what have you done to Mark?

the following is a parody and is meant to be non-serious. All of us like Mark, have enjoyed his exploits and look forward to more. I consider Mark to be a good friend.

Mark, you’ve taken us along on many adventures! We inmates have “ridden along” with you so many times that we all suffer with a chronic case of “Monkey Butt”. We’ve drank beer with you in Mexico, warmed our backsides by the old wood stove at the store in Oark, AR, we’ve been Orange with envy as you followed Vinny the Snake and his two-smoke buddies from Kitty Hawk, SC, riding your KTM nine-fiddy, our passports got stamped twice; once when you rode the Continental Divide with gaspipe, then again when you rode from Arizona to Canada with another riding buddy, you’ve shown us many county roads and trails that we didn’t even know existed, our butts and feet got soaked in Missouri as we crossed creeks and fell down in the green slime as we went through those low-water crossings on the TAT, we learned that Mr. Dice was responsible for the design of some of those Swinging Bridges, we’ve laughed along with you at “Little Dog’s" many antics, scouting out the deep mudholes, the depth of the snow, got caught up in some cactus and then got tipsy while drinking beer with you and the guys.

We all felt your pain when we saw what leaking gasoline had done to your foot. You’ve given us GPS routes for many places you’ve been and we’ll ride the routes as soon as we all learn how to work our GPS units. You’ve let us get to know your son Marty, your wife Debbie and your loyal pet, Jo Jo. Because of you, we all now have or lust after a WR250R, a Garmin 276C, a Big Agnes, a Jet-Boil, a roll of waterproof paper attached to our handlebars, with a new black Sharpie, we have penciled in Mexico on our rear fender and Canada on our front fenders and run Kenda 760’s on our bikes…just like you do. We’ve all felt empathy for Little Dog when you would take off on another adventure to God-knows-where and leave him “on the porch”. We’ve all felt the loneliness that Jo Jo experienced as you left so often and shared in his excitement as you would return back home, but not before buzzing up and down your road a few times to signal “Honey, I’m home”.

With baited breath, a lubed chain and a freshly oiled K&N filter, we have looked forward to the completion of your Mississippi Hill County adventure with Sam Correo. Some of us know Sam, have spoken with him on the phone; but you…you get to meet up with him in person and take over his hand-made, yet unfinished route chart and lead him through some beautiful Mississippi countryside that he had mapped out in advance.

We were all right beside you …until we saw that Sam had softened you up with sleep accommodations that would rival any five star hotel.

Here’s an excerpt from “Mark’s Webpage” ...read it at http://www.bigdogadventures.com/Miss...illCountry.htm

"Sam was glad to see me and we had another great visit.
We discussed so many things---he told me he spent a hard summer re-doing rollcharts for Oregon and other states
and will be busy laying out new routes in Wyoming and other places I have forgotten he told me.
He re-routed the Colorado portion of the TAT quite a bit for the new rollcharts.
This was my bed for the night--almost as good as a BigAgnes sleeping bag on a freezing night.
One thing that initially just floored me was when Sam told me his age--he's 71 years old.
I was looking at him and trying to guess his age--and was thinking 59---my age.
He's a very spry fellow he is. And he has lot's of plans for more of his adventures.
Me and him are friends now and I hope to see him more--we are planning some things
and I hope it works out."
Good Night ZZZZZzzzzZZZzzzzzzz

Does Sam know, like we do, that you hang your socks out to dry on a ceiling fan, that you use the shower curtain rod to drape your riding shirt and trousers across to drip-dry without wrinkles setting in? Did Sam see you turn your boots upside down on his furnace floor vents to wick out the water from the insoles? Did Sam notice any flatulence smells lingering in the bedroom after you slept ever-so-snugly on the memory foam pillow. Did Sam notice the five empty Coors beer cans you tossed on the floor while trying to do your best LeBraun James three-point shots in the wastepaper can over by the in-room laptop?
No Jet-Boil oatmeal the next morning, huh Mark? Sam probably fixed you a country ham breakfast, fresh laid scrambled eggs, ho-made biscuits and red-eye gravy and you chased it down with fresh ground…not instant Maxwell gourmet coffee in a china cup no less.

Oh, the humanity! Will we now read weekly ride reports from BigDog entitled “BigDog and his furry best buddy, Jo Jo slab the interstates looking for a Stuckey’s or Bob’s Big Boy?” Will we see videos of you straddling the Road King you bought with Jo Jo riding along secure in his magnetic tank bag? Will we ever see your 23,000 mile WR250R again in the high desert. Will we read that inmate, FishFund, bought it from you and is planning a tour of the Alps on it next spring?

The Mississippi Hill Country ride report was a fun read Mark. Now we all want to go to northern Mississippi, look up Sam and ride the backroads.
Oh, and by the way, Sam Correo, if he really is 71 years old he should be the poster boy for the adage “Riding motorcycles will keep you young!”

ThunderDog
let's ride the Hoosier National Forest again
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." – Steve McQueen

ADVCoot screwed with this post 11-25-2010 at 05:16 PM
ADVCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:29 AM   #18
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,379
thunderdog
Thanks for the smiles and laughs this morning reading your message to Mark. Fantastic job.

A '00 KLR 650 38,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:30 AM   #19
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot
Looking forward to more.
Hey Brian----I bet the snow is flying up your way.
Glad to have you along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderDog
the following is a parody and is meant to be non-serious. All of us like Mark, have enjoyed his exploits and look forward to more. I consider Mark to be a good friend.
Hi Charles,
ThunderDog (Charles) is a great friend ---and is the person who sent the little toy "LittleDog" to me for X-mas many years ago. I'll always cherish my Little Dog toy.

Your words above really touched me Charles---you really covered a lot about me and my travels----you had me laughing and crying at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop
Sam is truly a great guy! It's been a few years since I've rode with him, can't wait to ride with him again some day.
Hi Jeff---got your RallyAlp all nice and cozy in the garage---just been diddling with this and that on it--got some heated grips ordered for it and some tires--can't wait to get it out for a big ride.
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:55 AM   #20
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

More Day 1

More Day One
Heading South on Sam's Mississippi Hill Country route

I'm riding alone now as Sam had some things to do.

I rode South alone and really enjoyed the ride thru more Cudzu----some of it was still pretty
green, as that area had obviously avoided the frost.

Found this poor guy in the middle of the road.
An armadillo that had a bad day.

I bet I ran into 4 or 5 of these---then down the road I'd found a warning that the bridge was out in 1,500 ft.---then
500 ft.--------then I'd find a bridge that had obviously been finished for quite awhile.
I told Sam about those when I got back to his house and he told me it would sometimes be months before
the road closed signs were removed after a bridge repair or replacement.
I always continue on anyway--as I can usually cross anyway.

I think the next few picture were in the town of Carrolton, Mississippi.
Found this neat lilttle house on the square across from the court house.
See the sign above the door ??
It says..........Pickett Fence.
When I was a boy we had a pickett fence in front of our house---I'll never forget that fence.
I'd ride my bicycle beside it and rattle the fence with a stick making all kinds of noise with
baseball cards or better yet a balloon thumping away in my spokes.

You young fellows probably have no idea what I'm talking about.
When I was little we would use a clothespin and tie balloons or baseball cards to the frame of the bike so they would
rub the spokes and sound like a motor. In my hometown all the kids did that.
We probably used up 50 million dollars worth of valuable baseball cards.

This town looked like the 50's----and I couldn't resist sitting across from the court house on a bench and
just watch the world go by.

It was real dry out----but I'd find the occasional mudhole.
I rode on many, many roads that would be impassable if wet.
Quite a few sandy sections might cause some scary moments if I was riding a bigger heavier bike.
I rarely ran into anybody out here.

These 2 trees were growing out of solid rock----I showed Sam this picture and he laughed and said........"that's right
where I broke my cameral a while back".

You've heard me say it before----nothing better than good ole' dirt.

Sand doesn't bother me as long as I'm on something smaller than my 950.
I can't get the nerve up to wack the throttle of it in deep sand.

Now these people got it made.
A baketball court--loafing chair---outdoor hot water---outdoor barbecue grill and a pool.

I came across this neat place out in the middle of nowhere---the sign below says it some kind of religous retreat.
With hotsprings ?????? I'm guessing it used to be a hot spring resort ???

I just couldn't find much info about this place on the net----it has some civil war significance tho.

Can't go thru Mississippi without seeing some cotton fields.

This field was harvested when I came by here again on my return route.

If you can't really tell how big this bale of cotton is---it's about the size of a semi trailer and about 10 ft. tall.

Nothing like this around my Southern Illinois home.

The sun is going down---I worried I'd make it to Gluckstadt in the dark.
And wouldn't have traveling with a big group----but I had just one person to please and moved along quite quickly.
Well----------2 people-----me and my shadow !!!!

I came to the end of Sam's Southbound route and as you can see have
500ft. till the end.

Statistics for the day after getting to Gluckstadt, Mississippi where I holed up at the not so Super 8.
We hauled to Paris, Mississipi to start the day--so didn't start riding till 3 hours after hauling down there.

Sam had went back home--and I'd have to ride the Northbound route---and then ride back to his house.
I didn't think I'd have enough daylight tomorrow to get to his house---but that story is coming.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 11-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #21
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
Thanks for another well-written report! Always enjoy seeing your adventures!
motowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:32 AM   #22
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Day 2

Saturday November 13th, 2010

Let's see where was I----oh yeah, I had ridden the North to South route from Paris, Mississippi to Gluckstadt, Mississippi. I had started with Sam but after a few hours he had to go home and do some things.

Sam's official route he has for sale on his Trans Am Trail website really starts and ends in Batesville, Mississippi, but we had ridden a new route South of his new residence and intersected the official route.

The next morning I suited up early and started riding at 4:30 AM.
The clock in my motel was an hour off and I thought I was riding at 5:30AM
This turned out to be a blessing as you'll see later.

So what am I wearing ?????--had to take a self portrait in the motel mirror.
My Jacket is a Kilimanjaro 5.0
My pants are Klim Mojave that my son bought me.
I also carried a pair of Klim traverse gortex pants in case the weather turned wet and
nasty--------it did.
I always wear knee and shin guards and synthetic riding short underneath.

The new Sidi Adventure boots have been so much better than my old Sidi Discoveries---they were to flimsy
and non--protective for my taste.

This Ariai XD is about trashed--but my helmet cam is mounted to it and it's what I wore.

Like I said I was riding down the road without breakfast at 4:30 AM. I truly love riding this early and
riding while the sun peeks over the horizon. The Yamaha WR250R I'm riding has plenty of juice for a nice headlight.
It puts out an amazing 350 watts of power which is way more than most dualsports that may be quite a bit bigger.
So--it has a nice headlight for a 250 and power enough to add some bigger and more powerful lighting, but I have chose
to keep this bike as light as I can and not add stuff like extra lighting.

You can see by my GPS that my new Northbound route goes very close to the end of the Southbound route.

Sorry about the fuzzy picture---but the lack of light doesn't sit well with my camera.
Red Dog road---yeh, I think I'll like this road.
I crossed the Natchez parkway to get onto Red Dog road.

Strain your eyes and you can read the history of Red Dog road.

It was actually pretty balmy when I rolled out of the motel in the dark---but it got considerably colder as sunrise approached.
I finally had to put in my liner to my jacket and my synthetic long sleeve insulated shirt.
I was OK with my lower body--it seems I find it easier to keep it warmer and kept on my Klim mojave pants
which are very well vented.

I'm sure all you riders out there have noticed how right as the sun peeks over the horizon the
temperature will drop another 5-10 degrees all of a sudden.

Yeh---more dirt---I think I covered about 75 miles in the dark that morning. It was great.

After hours of riding--the sun is still kind of low-----I love the low lying fog.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 11-27-2010 at 03:48 AM
Old 11-27-2010, 04:04 AM   #23
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

More Day 2

More Day 2

Right here is where is the Northbound and Southbound routes cross.
I would cross the route I rode down on several times today---and at times ride a short distance on the same route--but most of it was different.

So beautiful out----seems some weather may be moving in on me....and
it was.

Thru here was one of my favorite parts of the ride.
I showed this picture to Sam--and he agreed.

I love riding where I've never been--and seeing new terrain, animals, people and vegetation.
I've always said it doesn't have to be spectacular for me to enjoy myself.
As long as the views are new to me I'm a happy rider.

The next part of the ride I really thought maybe I routed wrong---but after showing the picture to Sam when I got back to his house...... he
said I was on the route. Hardly nobody had gone thru here. I bet Sam was the last person about 3
weeks ago coming thru here.

Nothing a bike bike couldn't get thru--------in dry weather.

I have know idea what this was---it had a chimney out the top and I don't know if someone lived in the thing at one
time or it was a hunters cabin or what ?????
I asked Sam what it was that night--and he didn't remember ever seeing it.

Inside---bad picture. Maybe it's time for a new camera ????
I"ve trashed 2 this year--one last year--and the one I'm using on this ride
meets an early death----later on.

But not until I get a beautiful picture of more Kudzu.

I remember the first time I saw this stuff was when I was riding in Mississipi on the Eastern portion of the Trans America Trail a few years ago on my KLR.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 11-27-2010, 04:21 AM   #24
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

More Day 2

More Day 2

Old gas station in Cascilla, Mississippi.
Gas $1.69 per gallon.

Stuff like this is slowly disappearing.

I don't know if any of you riders ever thought of this---but I dream of riding
back 50 years ago----adventuring to all these neat places before it got all
crowded and before we were not allowed to ride in some places.

Heck---while were at it---let's make that 100 years ago.
Think about that--wouldn't that be neat--seeing how things used to be.
Just don't get me so far back I don't have gasoline--and in this dream I'm riding my 2008 Yamaha fuel injected WR250R----not a 1912 Harley Davidson.

Hey--you got to dream don't yah

Rain is moving in on me--and I get sprinkled on here and there.
I didn't realize the distance I'd have to ride from the end of this Northbound route to Sam's house.

After putting a really big day in---after starting riding over 2 hours before daylight----I end up having a good distance to Sam's house in really bad weather.

This sandy road was a hoot---and I ran her fast and hard in the sand following a river on my right side for miles.
I was running maybe 60mph in this sand---hoping a deer didn't come out of the trees to my side.

I wasn't in a hurry---just having fun.

I rode in the rain for the last 40 miles to the end of the route in Batesville.
But it was fun---I was lucky and stayed on rocky and sandy roads the rest of the way.

The Northbound route was 247 miles long and I hoped I could get to Sam's in the daylight.
Riding in the rain is one thing---riding it in the dark is a totally different animal.
I did not want to do that------it's very dangerous and visibility is very limited.

I plugged Sam's house into my gps and it said 152 miles------yikes I didn't know it would be that far.
I plugged in the shortest way and it turned into 132 miles.
I put my head down and ran the WR as hard as safety allowed.
I had 388 miles on my odometer when I got to Sam's with just 1/2 hour of daylight left.
This--after starting riding at 4:30 AM---a huge day in anybody's book.
I had ridden a solid 12 hours that day.

Sam was glad to see me and we had another great visit.
We discussed so many things---he told me he spent a hard summer re-doing rollcharts for Oregon and other states
and will be busy laying out new routes in Wyoming and other places I have forgotten he told me.
He re-routed the Colorado portion of the TAT quite a bit for the new rollcharts.

This was my bed for the night--almost as good as a BigAgnes sleeping bag on a freezing night.
One thing that initially just floored me was when Sam told me his age--he's 71 years old.
I was looking at him and trying to guess his age--and was thinking 59---my age.
He's a very spry fellow he is. And he has lot's of plans for more of his adventures.
Me and him are friends now and I hope to see him more--we are planning some things
and I hope it works out.

Good Night ZZZZZzzzzZZZzzzzzzz

A little better than a tarp.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 11-27-2010, 05:13 AM   #25
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Pickin' Sam's Brain

Pickin' Sam Correro's Brain

After riding the Mississippi Hill country ride----I have to this date ridden all of Sam's routes.

First---the Eastern Trans Am Trail in 2004 I on my KLR.
http://bigdogadventures.com/TAT2004.htm

Second---the Western Trans Am Trail on my Husky TE610 in 2006.
http://bigdogadventures.com/TAT2004.htm

Third---the New Mexico portion of his Shadow of the Rockies Trail on my KLR.
http://bigdogadventures.com/ShadowOfTheRockies.htm

Fourth---the Colorado portion of his Shadow of the Rockies Trail on my WR250R
http://bigdogadventures.com/SORColorado.htm

And finally this ride ---the Mississiippi Hill Country on my WR250R.

You can bet--when he gets a new route done---I'll quit my job--call a buddy or 2
and tell them you got 14 hrs to be at the trail head---so get hoppin'.

What a lucky guy I am. I'm so thankful to still be able to do this and never let one single day go by that I'm not thankful for my health, my wonderful wife, my wonderful son---and don't forget my little dog JoJo.
He's keeping me company right now as I type this out.

And since my son's has moved away, JoJo has become my garage buddy.
If he's not out in the garage with me working on bikes and spooning on tires, he just ain't happy.

After getting back to Sam's house late that afternoon, I had hours to become better acquainted with him and pick his brain. I'm sure lot's of you would like to pick his brain. I had aspirations of way more pictures of him--but my camera got soaked on the 4 hour ride in the rain to his house--my own stupidity.

I even wanted to do a video interview of him but sensed he was embarassed and uncomfortable about that and never pushed the issue.

You just would't believe how hospitable he was to me-----let me tell you....... it wasn't just me---I kidded his girlfriend about how he took this stray dog in to his house and how she felt about that. She laughed and said I was by no means the first stray dog that had slept at Sam's house. I was treated like family and had the run of the house.

In fact--he wasn't that keen on who I was---just another stray dog to him. He doesn't even get on the net much and only has an extremely faint idea of what the AdvRider site is and never reads anything on it. So--how I slipped thru his e-mails without getting deleted was just a stroke of luck.

Sam's tells me how he and his girfriend travel all over riding their bikes and 4-wheelers. Then 2 were a pair---they were so in love and enjoyed together what Sam has been doing for many years. They found each other on the internet he said----I suppose maybe one of those internet dating things--it worked

Hell------I've found a few good riding buddies on the internet. Just doesn't sound right maybe--but I have.

He tells me he worked hard all summer re-routing all of Oregon---most of Tennessee (to get rid of pavement) and most other states a little. I can't imagine that---but I assumed his new rollcharts will reflect those changes.

I'm soaking all this stuff up like a big sponge while he and his girlfriend poke food and gallons of coffee down me. I'm talking hospitality to the max

He even has plans for new routes---I wish I could remember what all he told me--but one was up in Wyoming and Montana. Keep in mind he's 71 years old---I'm sure he and his girfriend will do it together.

Sam talked about how he worries about his work be given away freely by people giving his routes away--we talked about gps and how people would like to buy his routes in a gps route or track log format.

He has an idea about that -----that I'm not going to give that away right now---it would cause a big stir and I'd appreciate it if you didn't bug him about this. My guess is--this won't ever happen. So live with it---I have.

Speaking of bugging Sam Corerro----he may get 400 e-mails a day. There is no way he can answer those. I felt sorry for him trying to weed thru all the questions he gets. If you ever wonder why Sam has never answered your e-mail-------now you know.

Anything you need to know about his trails is on his website or on the net. He even has people asking things like--what the weather will be next spring ?????

Sam's girlfriend took this picture of me and him---printed it out on a nice picture printer
and hung it on his wall along with so many other pictures.

2 old Trail Dogs

If I'm "BigDog"---he's "BiggerDog"
And I'm here to tell you--these dogs ain't happy on the porch !!!!!

KTM 690 Enduro 2014

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 11-27-2010 at 05:36 AM
Old 11-27-2010, 05:53 AM   #26
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,064
Thanks for the ride Mr. Big Dog.

Up here in Idaho it's been an early and cold winter.
Blizzards and sub zero temperatures.

I wish I were someplace "South" riding and exploring.
But since, I'm not, I'm happy that you are.

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:01 AM   #27
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor
Thanks for the ride Mr. Big Dog.

Up here in Idaho it's been an early and cold winter.
Blizzards and sub zero temperatures.

I wish I were someplace "South" riding and exploring.
But since, I'm not, I'm happy that you are.

Q~
Hi Ed,
It's been the opposite down here---we've had an unusually warm fall---it just did turn cold about 2 days ago.

By the way--I've sure been enjoying my KLIM riding gear that you are working with. Best stuff out there in my opinion. I needed a good set of goretex riding gear--as some of mine got worn out and my son lost my best pair of goretex pants----the traverse jacket and pants have been stellar !!!!

I also have the mojave pants for when I need venting and am not worried about rain.

Still dreamin' about the expensive suit---maybe when my ship comes in.

Problem is----I don't think it even has set sail
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 11-27-2010, 06:34 AM   #28
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,122
Thanks Mark!
Old 11-27-2010, 06:47 AM   #29
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 770
Thanks for sharing BigDog! As always an excellent read and a good way to spend a early saturday morning sipping coffee when it's 19 degrees outside with abundant ice and frost gathered on the ground.
beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:17 AM   #30
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,379
Thanks Mark,
For an extremely interesting report and tribute to Sam's work.
I wonder just how much of even the Arkansas TAT has changed since my trip on it in '99? Even then, I had to reroute around a Wildlife Management area that a Ranger stopped me at. But, he , the ranger, was good enough to look at my TAT map and show me a great route around. I had informed Sam of this when returning back then so I'm sure he made changes to that portion back in '00.

A '00 KLR 650 38,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote