ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2014, 05:29 PM   #106
Maro7ak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Looking for Local Mechanic for help with XL600r...

Hey there,

In Denver, Colorado working on 1987 XL600r and am in need of advice from someone who knows this kind of bike. It would be really great to find someone savy(a mechanic perhaps) with these bikes and had time to take a look and show me some things...right now the bike wont start (just recently tried adjusting the compression lever & kickstart) even though she was running fine just two days ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!!
Maro7ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #107
DrewC
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewC View Post
Hello all, new to the board and honestly just trying to learn and research for a potential purchase. I'm 26, moved to Denver in August 2012 (from Houston, born and raised) and since moving here thought this would be the perfect place for a DS. It's summer now and I've seriously been contemplating it.

Little background - I went to supercross every year as a kid. I begged and begged for a dirtbike and never got one. My dad and grandfather had bikes (prior to my existence) and my mom wouldn't have it. However, somehow my older brother/dad convinced her that karting was a safer option, so at 9 years old I started competing in karts. Got fairly serious in that till I was about 16, and since then have just been toying with cars. Track days, NASA/SCCA events, ChumpCar/LeMons if anyone is familiar, etc.

Being away from my race team back in TX had me itching for a local track car for myself. I picked up an E30 BMW 325is and honestly after only owning it a short time am consider swapping for a DS to do more exploring and get some garage space back.

Apologies for the wall of text. Currently leaning towards a CRF250L although a local dealer has a new '13 WR250R at a discount. Currently trying to make up my mind on selling the bimmer and getting a bike and all that before registering for the MSC and going all in. I have never owned a bike but have toyed on friends' here and there years ago.

Questions, comments, advice?
Ended up picking this '13 WR250R up on Monday. 100% stock with 2600 miles on it. Have a slew of gear delivering tomorrow and was able to get into the MSC Fri-Sun. Will be registering it next week and picking up my motorcycle license.

DrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #108
ColoradoCruisin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maro7ak View Post
Hey there,

In Denver, Colorado working on 1987 XL600r and am in need of advice from someone who knows this kind of bike. It would be really great to find someone savy(a mechanic perhaps) with these bikes and had time to take a look and show me some things...right now the bike wont start (just recently tried adjusting the compression lever & kickstart) even though she was running fine just two days ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!!
Did you buy the one up in Brighton?
ColoradoCruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #109
Thsdragoon
Aspiring adventurer

Oddometer: 39
hello, i live in Orem, UT also attending UVU to be a paramedic with the Air Force. i ride a 1990 yamaha xt600, and am wanting to get more into the riding scene. dream bike is a triumph tiger 800 xc (if i can convince the soon to be missus). also, i was wondering if anyone in the orem/provo/american fork/pleasent grove/highland/anywhere close utah, areas would be willing to show me some trails up the AF canyon (when more things open up that is, silver lake is the only open road as of now). i would preferrably like to ride with a group of 4-6, to get a few different riding style ideas, but anything works. im avaliable every day, (except sunday) until 3:30 pm. im looking forward to getting to know my fellow inmates!
Old 05-21-2014, 11:00 AM   #110
The_Precious_Juice
Underway

Oddometer: 1,406
Question Guy on the ground intell needed.

Greetings.

I'm in Sundance now, and would like to tour through the northern part of you'alls state.

If you do not care, check out my post on my trip planning thread and if you have the time, please give any feeback that would help out.

Here she is: post 41.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=970559&page=3

Thanks for reading.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #111
bigD1031
Shiney Side Up?

Oddometer: 14
Hello All,

Been a lurker for a long time and finally decided to post up and say hi....

In Albuquerque, sold my CBR954, have a YZ450F, currently looking for an adventure bike to spend some time exploring the world.

Hope to find some riding friends, share a beer--or 12--and spend some time with like minded individuals.

D
Old 06-16-2014, 12:52 AM   #112
missb303
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Can't cook, so I ride a dirt bike

Hi all! I hail from Aurora, CO and was advised to sign up for Advrider, so here I am! I copied and pasta the following from another intro I did, but it all still holds true...

I started out riding a few years ago. You know how they say you shouldn't make finacial decisions after being under anesthesia? Well, shortly after waking up from having an endoscope shoved down my throat, I found myself at Fay Meyers Motorcycle World. I then walked out with a KLX250F. Never ridden before, didn't even have my motorcycle endorsement or the gear to go with it. Not even a helmet. BUT I HAD THE DESIRE!!! I wanted to learn to ride and by golly, I was going go! My boyfriend, at the time, rode my bike home for me and a few weeks later I had my endorsement, some gear, and he picked up a three place trailer. We were set and ready to ride! I'd say I put about 800 miles (mostly pavement tho) on that jolly green giant. Then tragedy struck. A teenager rearended the trailer, flipped both our bikes off, and totaled them on I-25, and also ended up playing a key roll in the end of my relantionship. Boo.

Flash forward almost a year; the riding season is upon us once again! After reading reviews, doing a lot of research, and being told KTM's were the Porsches of dirt bikes. I settled on the 2012 350 XCF-W. First day out, I hit a tree. Sprained a bunch of fingers, and nearly the entire right side of my body was bruised. But I kept riding that day. Not far, but I rode. Afterwards, I found out I bent rim. Oops. But that wouldn't be the last of my injuries (thankfully, nothing serious yet) or repairs that would be made to my bike.

Almost two thousand miles later, I still love riding and am on the trails every chance I get. I'm always looking for new places to ride and can always use some new friends, so drop me a line sometime!
missb303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:32 AM   #113
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by missb303 View Post
Hi all! I hail from Aurora, CO and was advised to sign up for Advrider, so here I am! I copied and pasta the following from another intro I did, but it all still holds true...

I started out riding a few years ago. You know how they say you shouldn't make finacial decisions after being under anesthesia? Well, shortly after waking up from having an endoscope shoved down my throat, I found myself at Fay Meyers Motorcycle World. I then walked out with a KLX250F. Never ridden before, didn't even have my motorcycle endorsement or the gear to go with it. Not even a helmet. BUT I HAD THE DESIRE!!! I wanted to learn to ride and by golly, I was going go! My boyfriend, at the time, rode my bike home for me and a few weeks later I had my endorsement, some gear, and he picked up a three place trailer. We were set and ready to ride! I'd say I put about 800 miles (mostly pavement tho) on that jolly green giant. Then tragedy struck. A teenager rearended the trailer, flipped both our bikes off, and totaled them on I-25, and also ended up playing a key roll in the end of my relantionship. Boo.

Flash forward almost a year; the riding season is upon us once again! After reading reviews, doing a lot of research, and being told KTM's were the Porsches of dirt bikes. I settled on the 2012 350 XCF-W. First day out, I hit a tree. Sprained a bunch of fingers, and nearly the entire right side of my body was bruised. But I kept riding that day. Not far, but I rode. Afterwards, I found out I bent rim. Oops. But that wouldn't be the last of my injuries (thankfully, nothing serious yet) or repairs that would be made to my bike.

Almost two thousand miles later, I still love riding and am on the trails every chance I get. I'm always looking for new places to ride and can always use some new friends, so drop me a line sometime!

Hi missb303 I see that you made it over from KTM Talk! Welcome to the Rockies forum!

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:48 PM   #114
missb303
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarDust View Post
Hi missb303 I see that you made it over from KTM Talk! Welcome to the Rockies forum!
Thank you! glad to be here!
missb303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #115
UtahNoob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Hello everybody. Thinking about making the jump from super sports to adventure riding. My boss recommended this site as a GREAT place to learn, so here I am.
About me: started riding in 2008 (07 gsxr 600), moved to an R1, sold it, and picked up an 2011 750 when I moved to Utah. Suffered a crash in November when a driver pulled out in front of me, rebuilt over the winter, and just totalled the damn thing. There's a story there if you're interested.
Anyways, I've decided to keep to the track with the SS bikes. I am currently looking for a track only bike by the way....
Due to the high amount of traffic and rocks in the canyons I've decided I don't feel safe whipping that 750 through curves anymore, and I'd like something I can ride for a couple hours or a couple weeks with the wife. So far, after looking at a lot of interwebs stuff, and several dealer trips, I'm thinking the Yammie Tenere looks like it might fit the bill.
Anyways, I'm just going to be a lurker and soak up as much info as possible, and I'll probably chime in with noobish questions about adventure biking and it's equipment when I don't understand something in a thread.
Hope to meet some good people here. *cheers*

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
UtahNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:41 PM   #116
The_Precious_Juice
Underway

Back in the Rockies

Good night all.

I just back from the Pacific Northwest. I am on day 45 of my tour.

I am in Missoula tonight and tomorrow.

I plan to ride the Highway to the Sun when it opens fully.

I have some slow milage days ahead of me. Shoot me a PM if you want to ride or swap stories.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:13 AM   #117
fateddy
tight like that

Oddometer: 46
Thought I might get a post in...

I've been on here for a few years, mostly just lurking. I moved to Colorado from Arkansas a couple years back and made my way up to the Fort Collins area. I mainly just ride pavement, but have done a few dirt road rides with some of the NW Arkansas bunch. I hope to get a good bit more touring in in the near future. I've made my way all over the state for work, but have covered next to none of it on the bike.

Right now, I'm working on planning a 3-day trip around the Gunnison NF in early August when I'll have a brief bit of time away from work. Thanks in advance for answering some questions I'll have.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:33 AM   #118
Datdarkness
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hello All, New guy here. Just moved to Ogden, Utah from California last week for college.
Just bought a 2008 qlink (poor college kid) and wanted to see if there was anyone in the Salt lake city or northern Utah area that would be willing to show me some trails and rides around the area. PM me anytime.
THANKS!!
Datdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:53 PM   #119
The_Precious_Juice
Underway

Bozeman and Billings

Evening.

I may do an early oil and rear tyre change in the towns of Bozeman or Billings.

Does anyone recommend a independent garage I can support?

Thanks for reading.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:51 AM   #120
sturg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
New to Longmont by way of Ohio

Hey there boys & girls

After living in Columbus Ohio for 30 yrs(my entire life) the wife and I finally made the move to Colorado. The plan was, initially, to come out after college but then I met her and then grad school, jobs & a house kept us nailed down. After selling our place a few months ago we stated applying for jobs and boom, here we are. We've been here not even 36hrs and we love it so far. The people are friendly, the scenery is jaw dropping, the food has been delicious & the beer, oh god the beer selection. And the humidity, or lack thereof, makes 90deg feel like 80.

Anyways I just sold my '77 kz1000 prior to moving out here & brought the '96 DR 650 with me. It's got an fcr 39mm carb with velocity stack, power now & power now plus along with sine other goodies. It's still slow but the mods have really made it a tolerable, more torquey kind of slow.. In Columbus I primarily used it on the street but plan on doing some fire roads, light to moderate 4x4 trails soon. I was reading up about local trails & left handed canyon popped up, so ill give that ago.

But I'm certain the kz1000 money will be quickly put back into a dedicated dirt bike for legit single track fun.

That being said if anyone is around the denver, boulder, longmont or ft Collins area i'd would really appreciate getting the low down about riding in Colorado. Possibly hook up over some beers & pick your brain for a bit.

I can't wait to get settled & make some time for riding. That being said I did get 2.5 days of iron mountain road in the black hills earlier this week...talk about sine serious fun on a DR! The best part was we camped on a site right on iron mtn road with a gas station on site. Actually the best part was missing all those slow ass Harley riders from Sturgis...dbag dentists trailering in bikes & changing into their assless chaps, do-rags & affliction/Harley t-shirts.

sturg is online now   Reply With Quote