User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
DashAK OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Bike rental in Argentina/Chile

Does anybody have any experience with bike rental in either Chile or Argentina, preferably in Patagonia/Lakes district, or just toward the western end of Argentina? Some small business would be preferable, all I found are high priced BMWs rentals....
Any info will be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
Cubdriver
Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer: 669
[quote=DashAK] all I found are high priced BMWs rentals....
quote]

Given to redundancy, are we?

For Mrs CD:F650GS, G650GS
Cubdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
Cubdriver
Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer: 669
Actually, I will be watching the replies to your query carefully, because we have plans to go there in Feb/March of 2012. NZ this year. I did find some info when I googled bike rentals Bariloche, which practically speaking will most likely be where you would begin. I have friends down there looking for rentals farther South, in Esquel, and so far no luck. When you going?

For Mrs CD:F650GS, G650GS
Cubdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
DashAK OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I am part of a group who (most likely) can't afford to pay too much for rentals... So we'll see. The plan is to be there Jan 20-Feb 7th, I was not part of their planning untill few days ago, I thought they have it all figured out.... and now they are thining about doing something else (like renting a car and going hiking...). I have not spent much time gooogling yet... Yeah, Bariloche would be smack in the center of our desired area, sort of, hehehe
Old 11-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
legion
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,531
Look for KTM rentals. They'll be much more common. I didn't see a BM dealership or rental or bike aside from the people I knew there.

I did see rental KTM's though.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
AK Rider/MotoQuest
Ride Alaska & Beyond

Oddometer: 304
We use Ad-Mo Tours for our tours in South America. Really the BMW prices are not that bad...I think in Argentina you can get Honda Transalps for ~ $100 a day.... tell them MotoQuest or Alaska Rider Tours sent you and they will be nice :)

Patagonia!
 , http://www.motoquesttours.com/guided-motorcycle-tour.php?patagonia-end-of-earth-motorcycle-tour-30

MotoQuest
Motorcycle Tours, Rentals and Self-Guided Adventures Worldwide

AK Rider/MotoQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
DashAK OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you Legion and Phil, we are checking various places, I will let you know what we find :-)
Old 06-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
Caprilian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Argentine rental

Any updates on this topic? Any dual purpose bike would suffice
Caprilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #9
TheSeeker
Slingin' Steel

Oddometer: 198
Talking Adventure Motorcycle Rental - Argentina

Contact Carlos at www.patagoniamotos.com He speaks English when he has to and is a hell of a nice guy. He's got a fleet of nice bikes and is always ready to help. He found me a new tire in his home town of Neuquen and sent it hundreds of miles south for me to El Calafate. There is a hostel right by his office in Neuquen that has room for motos too.

Please tell him KTM Justin says hello.

In Chile, www.motoadventura.com also rents big ADV bikes.
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
Caprilian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Thnx

Thanks buddy - seems promising
Caprilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #11
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
Are there any bike rentals in El Calafate? I will be there in December and would love to do a day ride to Torres del Paine.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #12
BastrdHK
Twin Grin

Oddometer: 17
Hey Guys,

My new wife and I are in Santiago, Chile now on our honeymoon. We both ride and are craving some two wheel fun while we are down here. There are tons of motorcycles down here, mostly single cylinder cruisers or Honda CB look alikes. I have seen a brand I have never heard of (KeeWay) that makes H-D replicas....they look sound like they are less than 500cc.

Anyway, the sites I visited were expensive...$100 US per day and up for 400cc. I don't know if that includes insurance.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Anyone just buy a bike and resell it before they left? We are traveling south from Santiago to Patagonia and through Argentina to Buenos Aires.

We have packed extremely light....we could fit everything in one set of panniers and a top case. Renting/buying two 400cc bikes would be ideal, but I guess I could talk her into two upping on a 650cc+.

Roads in Santiago are nice and the Andes are beckoning in the distance....any info/help would be spectacular!
BastrdHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
I just returned from Patagonia and heard about bike rentals in that area but forgot the name and place. Hopefully someone from that area can chime in. The roads looked awesome there but the fire in Torres sel Paine could be a problem. Perito Moreno glacier outside El Calafate is worth the effort if in the area. Gas up when you can, the place is pretty empty in places.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #14
BastrdHK
Twin Grin

Oddometer: 17
Thanks FotoTex, heard about the fires, hope they open the Parques back up. Not much action on the bike side. I saw a 150 for sale today at a gas station, but the guy blew me off when I asked for the price. I don't speak great much spanish so maybe he didn't understand me, but it seemed like he didn't want to sell to a foreigner.

YES!...roads in Chile are incredible!!! Well maintained and good surfaces/asphault.
BastrdHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #15
TheSeeker
Slingin' Steel

Oddometer: 198
Wink Foreigners buying/selling motos in Argentina/Chile...

Hey All... Buying and selling motorcycles in Chile/Argentina can prove difficult for foreigners. The paperwork is extensive and there are conflicting reports of whether it can even be done legally. There are a few outlets to rent decent sized advmotos that I mentioned above.

I did bump into a couple guys who had found bikes for sale and did make it work. I tried to sell my KTM950ADV down there when I finished up my trip in March of 2011 with no luck. I was told over and over again that the paperwork system is quite up to date in both Argentina and Chile and selling a foreign bike there was illegal and could potentially prevent re-entry into those countries if a motorcycle were to be "left" behind. At every border crossing you need to cancel the TVIP (temporary vehicle import permit) from the country you are leaving and get a new TVIP for the country you are entering. Even in the case of Chile/Argentina, where we crossed the border numerous times and often in well off the beaten track locations, a new TVIP is issued at every border. To get a TVIP you need a current title, registration and proof of insurance in the name of the licensed rider.

Motorcycles of any size/quality are expensive to buy in many South American countries due to Import Taxes. The TVIP process is in place to discourage foreigners from leaving behind or selling their bikes and avoiding the taxes. (Again from what I understand from numerous conversations, usually in Spanish. So I certainly could be missing some of the crucial details.)

The rental rates, though high, are a fraction of the real costs of getting a decent bike down to those parts of the world, especially when you consider the cost of HAVING to ship the bike back home. ($1600 US CASH to ship my KTM from Buenos Aires to Denver.)

I have rented XR400's, CRF250L's, and other small cc Japanese bikes in Ecuador & Peru but didn't see too many options for small cheap rentals south of Peru.

Feel free to email me at trailsendbmw@gmail.com with any other questions regarding riding in CA or SA.
Love talking story, especially since it is well below zero here in the 'banks and I'm going out of my freaking mind wanting to ride.

Cheers,
Justin
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote