Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 06:37 AM   #16
mhoey
mhoey

Oddometer: 10
Buying bike/ Rent in Chile

Hi guys

Long time no see. I stopped my 3 year journey in Chile after Europe, Africa and half around South America (www.mhoey.eu). Now married and settled down with a Chilean girl.

Buying a bike in Chile is not completely out of the way. What you need as a foreigner is a RUT (identity/ security number). You get this at one of the local immigration offices and it takes around 20-30 minutes to get. Show up with your passport and visa paper/ stamp.
You need this to registrate the bike in your name here in Chile to be able to take it out of the country. They are very strict with this at the borders as many cars vanish to Bolivia.
After a little investigation I found out that they do not allow import of vehicles older than 3 years if you want to sell them here in Chile. I have my motorcycle (Honda VFR from 1996) standing in Argentina (Malarwe) now after being told by the aduanas I was not welcomed back with the bike to Chile after one year in and out :-/
Chile is very strict, might be why it is one of the most safe/ developed countries in South America?
Regarding rental, you are able to find dual sport bikes at affordable rates. I now have a company with a friend and former around the world traveller. We rent out Kawasaki KLR 650E 2011/2012 models with free mileage. For those interested in rentals/ expeditions: (www.ride-chile.com).
Anyone else coming by Santiago and need some help, contact me on mick@ride-chile.com - I still remember how it was being in the seat and now it is my turn to help out! I still miss it :-)

All the best and amazing travels for all

Mick Hy
Ride-Chile.com Motorcycle Expeditions & Rentals South America
www.ride-chile.com
mhoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:21 AM   #17
DrRafita
Argentina

Oddometer: 2
Hi from Argentina

Hello, Im a new member, I live in Argentina .... anybody wants an update in motorcycle rental ? What for, what type of moto ? I could check it...
DrRafita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:27 AM   #18
DrRafita
Argentina

Oddometer: 2
Question Alaska-Chukokta

Anybody did the pass ? Only by cargo fly ? To Anadyr, Magadan or Vladivostok ? Wich airline ? Is there any road between Anadyr , Kamchakta and Magadan ?
DrRafita is offline   Reply With Quote