Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2004, 03:56 PM   #1
BlitzBike OP
LC4 Pilot

Oddometer: 800
03 LC4 640 Radiator overflow tube STINKS!

I've been plagued by the stench of coolant fumes but, for the longest time I could not find the source as no hoses had any leaks. Finally I found that the radiator overflow tube ( the clear tube that exits near the filling pressure cap)
is weeping around the plastic elbow just where it enters the frame/steering head. From there it drips down onto the backside of the front fender and is free to blow back onto the headers and radiator causing me a stinking headache. I would like to route a new hose down and away from the hot spots on my bike so I don't have to breath this poison.
Any advice, pointers, or oberservations from others would be appreciated.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:32 PM   #2
DevDel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559

You want some cheese and crackers?

Dev
DevDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 07:15 PM   #3
Lucifer
Banned

Oddometer: 199
Air Cooled bikes do not leak coolant.
Lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 09:20 PM   #4
The Misinformant
What road?

Oddometer: 349
Mine just sticks down into the rad louvers.
No real stink.

Dealer did it not me. Doesn't seem to make a difference to the bike.
IT MAY suck shit back up ito the rads though.
The Misinformant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 10:32 PM   #5
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
I've been plagued by the stench of coolant fumes but, for the longest time I could not find the source as no hoses had any leaks. Finally I found that the radiator overflow tube ( the clear tube that exits near the filling pressure cap)
is weeping around the plastic elbow just where it enters the frame/steering head. From there it drips down onto the backside of the front fender and is free to blow back onto the headers and radiator causing me a stinking headache. I would like to route a new hose down and away from the hot spots on my bike so I don't have to breath this poison.
Any advice, pointers, or oberservations from others would be appreciated.
If it is leakin that regularly then when does it run out? Maybe you just overfilled it and it is leveling itself? Or is it a piece that should be fixed so it don't "weep"? Mine don't weep or leak at'all...

Do you think this has something to do with the Evans Coolant?!?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 04:27 AM   #6
Muzungu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Maybe too much is causing the stinkin headache

Just joking.

Actually there maybe an overheat problem if you are loosing soo much coolant. My 2001 doesn't spit out of the overflow even with the fan on, allthough I have never had the warning light come on. Have tested it though, had to block off the rads with paper just to make sure the light worked

Maybe that super duper coolant stuff isn't so super duper after all. Think of all the bikes around the world who just run plain old coolant and go for years and years and years with out a problem.

Maybe soo much information isn't such a good thing
Muzungu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 12:57 PM   #7
BlitzBike OP
LC4 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzungu
Maybe too much is causing the stinkin headache

Just joking.

Actually there maybe an overheat problem if you are loosing soo much coolant. My 2001 doesn't spit out of the overflow even with the fan on, allthough I have never had the warning light come on. Have tested it though, had to block off the rads with paper just to make sure the light worked

Maybe that super duper coolant stuff isn't so super duper after all. Think of all the bikes around the world who just run plain old coolant and go for years and years and years with out a problem.

Maybe soo much information isn't such a good thing
Hey Muzungu,
SaSa?
U fahamu mimi lini ni na sema Kiswahili?
Obviously I spent some time in Kenya myself but, unfortunately did not have a
bike and had to settle for a 4W drive. I suspect this coolant is better suited for cooler climates and I have even read where they plug the overflow for a "closed sytem" since boil-overs theoretically don't happen. Could be just "leveling off" but, it never quite seems to finish leveling off. Say "Kiboko" to the Good Fellas at Carnivore for me. Tutaunana Halafu,
Bwana Ndovu
Old 12-30-2004, 09:04 PM   #8
Muzungu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Hi Swampy!

What a trip to hear from someone in Swahili !

Next time I'm out at Carnivore (hopefully this time they'll have crocodile, since it's my favorite) I will tell them Kiboko from some "rafiki" in cyberspace .

How long ago were you here?

Ya, a bike is the only way to cover ground here, as I'm sure you remember how the roads are .

Kwangu, ne ingumu ku andika he luga, lakini ku ongea, sina shida hata kidogo !
Muzungu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 07:36 AM   #9
BlitzBike OP
LC4 Pilot

Kiboko!

Sorry on the slow response. I appearantly did not subscribe to this thread.
I was in Kenya winter of 93-94 and winter of 94-95.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:49 AM   #10
cbob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Be glad you can smell the coolant. In fact, you should position the overflow tube directly over the exhaust pipe!

Imagin cruisin down the road until you see that diner at the last minute that has those incredibly over cholesterolled cheeseburgers you heard about. You kick it over left with plenty of time to clear that semi trying to make up time and . . . . whooops! You slide out from an accumulation of coolant from the last 60 miles you DIDN'T smell that put a nice coating onto your almost dual sport tire and get flattened by 300 television sets heading to Dallas.

No need to worry about the cholesterol factor in that cheeseburger.

- c
PS - I'm feeling like a sick mind today - sorry!

to benefit the Dream House for Medically Fragile Children
www.dreamhouseforkids.org
cbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 07:52 AM   #11
BlitzBike OP
LC4 Pilot

Well I have rerouted the overflow tube but, I am still gettting coolant odors.
Yet, its not a big enough leak to show anywhere or cause a rapid decrease in the level. Wonder if there is a lemon law for LC4's because my other two LC4s did not chronicly STINK like this and the old lady has banished all my riding gear from the house since it stinks so bad. ARRRRGH!
Old 02-07-2005, 08:26 AM   #12
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
Well I have rerouted the overflow tube but, I am still gettting coolant odors.
Yet, its not a big enough leak to show anywhere or cause a rapid decrease in the level. Wonder if there is a lemon law for LC4's because my other two LC4s did not chronicly STINK like this and the old lady has banished all my riding gear from the house since it stinks so bad. ARRRRGH!
That sucks Swampy... is this something that cropped up after the change to Evans Coolant? Someone else was runnin that stuff and didnt mention any problem.

i wonder if a black light (the real flourescent ones) would show any small amount of coolant better? they are pretty cheap - just find someplace as dark as possible to see the best. might work?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 08:39 AM   #13
BlitzBike OP
LC4 Pilot

I think the stink has always been there but, the evans Smells more chemically repulsive and is therefore harder to tolerate. Unfortuneately the evans is not dayglo --its more of a brownish color. It could be that I am still having issues with the liquid head gasket that has been redone under warranty twice now.
I really want to get this sorted before the warranty runs out. I guess I'll have to return the bike to the shop for another 3 week confiscation.
Its just really annoying to have a new bike reak so bad and the headers totally fouled. to make maters worse, I went over-the-top oiling my air filter and foulded the inside as well! Its not possible for me to ride somewhere and chill in the clothes I wear while riding cause the stench gags everyone including me.

Swampy screwed with this post 02-07-2005 at 08:52 AM
BlitzBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:22 AM   #14
LightSmith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
DO NOT "seal" the system! Evans Coolant expands about 7% when heated. You should add an overflow bottle (just a catch can will do, no need to get fancy). I let the coolant level be what it is and don't top it up because it'll be at the top of the radiator when it's hot. You can check this by removing the radiator cap when it's hot. Even with the pressure created by a 14 pound rad cap, it won't blow hot coolant out. Water based systems do this because the sudden drop in pressure lowers the boiling point, causing a lot of vapor all of a sudden -BOOM!

The fellow who suggested sealing the system needs to go back and reread. There does need to be room for expansion and contraction. What you can do is go to a zero pressure system. This is done by drilling the rivet out of the center of the underside of the rad cap. I did this on my Tahoe to relieve stress on hoses, seals, etc. I generally don't do this on my bikes because I seem to lay them down on their sides at inopportune moments. One day while riding my YZ250 in the woods with friends, I managed to puncture the radiator with a rock that leapt out in front of me. I jammed a piece of wood in the hole, taped/wired it up, and cut my cap to go to zero pressure. Not only did it get me home, I could have ridden a lot more because the leak was very slow.

Any questions, email me at jlight@dca.net
LightSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:34 PM   #15
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer: 1,160
Fab up a coolant recovery bottle. There's plenty of penny-tech solutions as well as after-market kits for super-moto bikes.