User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2010, 06:30 AM   #1
Nicolasleon OP
Gnarly F5er

Oddometer: 225
Dakar 2011 follow up

Hi all, I wanted to start this thread for all of us who are planing to follow the race.

The idea is to share usefull information and to make traveller groups.

I'm for instance looking for someone to share the ride, as I dont want to go alone. Im Chilean and I can help any gringo who doesnt speak spanish. I've got a friend who wants to go too. He is a motorcycle mechanic, so we can split the assistance costs and organize a group. My email is nicoleonb@gmail, so if anyone is interested, im in. My idea is to follow almost the entire race.

Cheers
Old 11-22-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
mikechill
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
I am heading down on th 27th of Dec. To BA have my bike their And would be interested in meeting up with anybody to follow the race. mike c.
mikechill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:36 AM   #3
Nicolasleon OP
Gnarly F5er

Hey, your plan is to follow the entire race?
Old 11-23-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolasleon
Hey, your plan is to follow the entire race?
I be in buenos aires the 29th ,follow the race to mendoza and head south from theme to torres the paine

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
Nicolasleon OP
Gnarly F5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtrick
I be in buenos aires the 29th ,follow the race to mendoza and head south from theme to torres the paine
Hey! that is great!, My plan is to follow the race between Cordoba and San Juan.

Was just talking to a friend who is a motorcycle mechanic and wants to ride with me, and for USD500 he will do all the assistance we need. That is a high price just for me, but if we gather a group we can split the cost, and have more certainty of not missing miss the race because of a dam mechanical failure!

Ide appreciate your thoughts...If we make the group, does the mechanic rider make sense for you?

You will be amazed at Torres del Paine, thats one of the most amazing places ive been in Chile

Cheers,
Nicolas

Nicolasleon screwed with this post 11-23-2010 at 10:07 AM
Nicolasleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

Oddometer: 2,187
I'd love to see a documentary of people following the Dakar. It looks like this thread is going to be about communication and coordination, but if anyone is willing, take pictures/video and tell us stories of how it went/things that happened.

I'll be following this thread in case some of you post that kind of info here. The Dakar is beyond me enough that it's hard to live it vicariously, but I can vicariously follow the followers and imagine being there instead of up here in the snow.
Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
Nicolasleon OP
Gnarly F5er

Its quite difficult to keep updated a thread on ADV and at the same time keep up with the race! Where you will see lots on information to follow by the minute the race is on the Official Dakar 2011 thread.
I think lots of ADViers would be happy to do the RR after the rally though.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

Oddometer: 2,187
After would be great. Since I'm only coming along in my imagination it doesn't matter when.
Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:16 PM   #9
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Im a mechanic ,have a shop north o los angeles , so no need mechanic .
I can do the same iff you friend does no want to go for a good dinnert and beers iff the time come .
Quote:
Hey! that is great!, My plan is to follow the race between Cordoba and San Juan.

Was just talking to a friend who is a motorcycle mechanic and wants to ride with me, and for USD500 he will do all the assistance we need. That is a high price just for me, but if we gather a group we can split the cost, and have more certainty of not missing miss the race because of a dam mechanical failure!

Ide appreciate your thoughts...If we make the group, does the mechanic rider make sense for you?

You will be amazed at Torres del Paine, thats one of the most amazing places ive been in Chile

Cheers,
Nicolas

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
Old 11-24-2010, 04:21 AM   #10
Nicolasleon OP
Gnarly F5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtrick
Im a mechanic ,have a shop north o los angeles , so no need mechanic .
I can do the same iff you friend does no want to go for a good dinnert and beers iff the time come .
No problemo amigo, was just asking. The main thing is that we make this ADV group to follow the race.

You being a mechanic, you for sure are secured, but would you risk time helping others? that is why I proposed having a paid mechanic.

Anyways. Are you shipping your bike to BA or are you riding south?

Mike: Are you in?
By the way, the beers sound to good. I'll fit a 6 pack cooler in my panniers

Nicolas

Nicolasleon screwed with this post 11-24-2010 at 04:44 AM
Nicolasleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:16 AM   #11
mikechill
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Nicolasleon I would be in for the legs from BA to Victoria and Victoria to Cordoba and maybe a bit more after that I would have to be back in BA on the 7th to meet my friend who is flying in then catch parts of it around Chilecito on the 13th if that is possible.
Are you thinking of camping or trying to get rooms?
Exactly what would be the routine, say find a spot to watch for the day then ride a head to another spot? on road or off road? (I will be on a DL-1000 V-strom with street tires) I have never followed a race like this how would you go about it?
Have you found any detailed maps of the actual race course and what would be good viewing areas?
Mike C.
mikechill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:33 AM   #12
Nicolasleon OP
Gnarly F5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechill
Nicolasleon I would be in for the legs from BA to Victoria and Victoria to Cordoba and maybe a bit more after that I would have to be back in BA on the 7th to meet my friend who is flying in then catch parts of it around Chilecito on the 13th if that is possible.
Are you thinking of camping or trying to get rooms?
Exactly what would be the routine, say find a spot to watch for the day then ride a head to another spot? on road or off road? (I will be on a DL-1000 V-strom with street tires) I have never followed a race like this how would you go about it?
Have you found any detailed maps of the actual race course and what would be good viewing areas?
Mike C.
Hi Mike,

I will try to do the following: watch the day's special, then on the afternoon ride to the next day's special asking locals and policemen what do they know about the route (ASO's maps are too general). Camp there and on the morning watch the day's special and ride on the afternoon and so on. This way you can get more time of rest and you get the chance to see the race more relaxed, as you wake up, pack the camp into the bike and then wait for the race, instead of waking up at 6 am and rushing to find a good viewing area, and then continue to the next city to try to find a hotel somewhere. Its like going half day in advance so to speak...

I'de rather do dirt roads, but I recon that the phisical part will force me to ride paved roads too... Anyways having DS tyres should do it.

This worked for me on 2008 following the race in Chile, and in Argentina should be easier, since the race goes through more roads and less open areas (as in Chile)+

About the maps. ASO releases these general maps I was talking about closer to the start day of the race, and they give you an idea of the route (towns, villages, and so on) but you wont find the exact route on them (you could say they have a range of +-10kms) so the only way to find good wiewing areas if you dont have an inmate racing, is to talk to a couple of local guys and guet an idea, then roll the dice and camp...

Javier, would you agree on this?
Old 11-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #13
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Quote:
Hi Mike,

I will try to do the following: watch the day's special, then on the afternoon ride to the next day's special asking locals and policemen what do they know about the route (ASO's maps are too general). Camp there and on the morning watch the day's special and ride on the afternoon and so on. This way you can get more time of rest and you get the chance to see the race more relaxed, as you wake up, pack the camp into the bike and then wait for the race, instead of waking up at 6 am and rushing to find a good viewing area, and then continue to the next city to try to find a hotel somewhere. Its like going half day in advance so to speak...

I'de rather do dirt roads, but I recon that the phisical part will force me to ride paved roads too... Anyways having DS tyres should do it.

This worked for me on 2008 following the race in Chile, and in Argentina should be easier, since the race goes through more roads and less open areas (as in Chile)+

About the maps. ASO releases these general maps I was talking about closer to the start day of the race, and they give you an idea of the route (towns, villages, and so on) but you wont find the exact route on them (you could say they have a range of +-10kms) so the only way to find good wiewing areas if you dont have an inmate racing, is to talk to a couple of local guys and guet an idea, then roll the dice and camp...

Javier, would you agree on this?
I will follow the race most on dirt ,especial after rafaella or so were is more rds because o ranches, in september this year i cross the aso trucks many times in my way to fiambala and antofagasta de la sierra.I have and idea o the course for the race.
I race the transpatagonico 4 times in the 90's and rode in argentina a bunch .
Race the entreriano de enduro also.
For a bike I have a super enduro in my country Uruguay and is wath i ride.
For mechanic the follow .You bike shut be in top shape for a trip like this so the only issues be a flat tire o not be prepare .I never have issues with the bike other than altitude sickness o flat tires .
Many o my old co workers still working in Dakar teams so i will no my plan after see theme on the 29th or 30th on buenos aires.

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
Old 11-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #14
trailtrick
goat trail rider

The route from cordoba to santiago del estero I rode it in september .
And i rode all the new route from fiambala to chilecito and to mendoza .I no because i soo the aso crew few times those days in the same route the i was

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
Old 11-24-2010, 03:51 PM   #15
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,321
Is it possible to join you guys in south America? Can I rent a bike ther, say a dr650 or similar? Sounds like fun.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote