User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2014, 10:57 PM   #1
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Laugh Thinking of a change...

I've been riding for about a year and 13000 miles. I had never ridden before and hopped on an 1150gsa from the get go. I've loved every day of it even the tough ones.

However...

I've been thinking of changing over to a 650 for better gas mileage. I'm also considering moving to japan where they consider 700cc a big bike and requires different licensing and taxes.

So now...fan boyness and bias aside (do your best I have the same prob when it comes to air cooled vws)...what am I going to miss? What will I possibly regret? How does the 650 ride 2 up? How is it long range?

Any input would help.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:36 AM   #2
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,055
The misleading model name of the 2008 and newer F650GS does not alter the fact that it shares a 798cc motor with the F800GS and F700GS. If it's BMW under 700cc you want, ask about the G650GS in the Thumper forum.

Fred
Old 07-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Dakar and similar era are also 800s?
Old 07-21-2014, 08:36 AM   #4
Capt CF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperx View Post
The Dakar and similar era are also 800s?
Nope. The Dakar and the newer Sertao are both the smaller single cylinder motor.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #5
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Also, if gas mileage and wet weight are your concerns, the parallel twins are only marginally worse than the G650 singles. You'll lose 5-6 mpg and add 20 lbs or so with the twins, while also gaining 30+ HP and 30Nm in torque. The twins handle freeway very well, and you will not miss the power/torque from the 1150 that much. Maybe another factor to consider while choosing your bike. All the best for your bike hunt. As long as you don't get something orange, the BMW gods will be pleased
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #6
toooldtocare
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I moved from a R1200R to a F700GS. I have been riding for 48 years, and at my age, I decided I needed something smaller. At first I though I made a mistake, the F700 vibrates more than the 1200, but that is about the only negative difference to me. After two thousand miles plus on the F700, I no longer miss the 1200. The F700 will do almost everything as well as the 1200, and it is much easier to ride. I lived in Japan for nearly a year, but never rode a bike there, or even drove a car. Where I lived I would not want either one, too much traffic for me to enjoy them. That said, I did see a lot of younger people riding smaller bikes, and older people on larger bikes, mostly Harley's. Good luck with your search.
toooldtocare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #7
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the input. I lived there for 5 years already...wife and I are thinking of returning. I drove several types of cars over there from a bmw v12 to a 6cyl turbo diesel landcruiser. Since I have an mc license here it transfers at the middle weight bike over there...to step up to the 700+ range means a simple road test. It would be nce not to have to go that route as well as cheaper insurance and registration.

How are the bmw chain bikes for two up tours?
Old 07-21-2014, 05:13 PM   #8
toooldtocare
Adventurer

Two up on chain drive bikes is no problem. Many touring bikes over the years were chain drive. Takes a bit of maintenance, and occasionally a replacement. My bike is a F700GS with low suspension. My problem is the weight capacity is easily exceeded with luggage. I weigh 155, my wife 135, and 20 pounds each bag really drops the suspension. The 800, or even 700 with normal suspension would be better. That said, the bike has plenty of power. My first touring bike was a Guzzi with 70 hp, we rode that bike everywhere never needing more power.

Wayne
Old 07-21-2014, 07:17 PM   #9
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I know I'm kinda getting outside the realm of this section, but what about the pre 08? The ACTUAL 650.

Of course all this will be verified first hand by test rides and such.

What about the tele lever and parallever systems? Sorely missed?
Old 07-21-2014, 10:50 PM   #10
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperx View Post
I know I'm kinda getting outside the realm of this section, but what about the pre 08? The ACTUAL 650.

Of course all this will be verified first hand by test rides and such.

What about the tele lever and parallever systems? Sorely missed?
All BMW conventional/USD fork bikes are underdamped and undersprung from the factory, for the average american rider. The duo/para levers feel better as set by the factory. If you buy any of the 800s or the 650, they should be fine for road duty, and forest roads. But if you are planning to do gnarly offroad, you will need to invest in suspension. And as a rule, these forks feature no adjustments and are next to impossible to revalve. People say good things about the Ricor Intiminators for the conventional forks, YMMV.

The thumper is a nice beast, though a tad overpriced for what you are getting. The engines have a reputation to last forever, they are good for a top speed of 90-ish, and are comfortable cruising at 70 while returning a nice mileage. If you want to know more about them, head over to the thumpers section. There are plenty of G650 owners there, and should be able to explain the pros and cons in more detail.
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:31 AM   #11
toooldtocare
Adventurer

I agree with everything that Sara wrote. A friend of mine has a G650X and I have ridden it many times. I was not impressed with the seat, pushes me into the fake tank too much. I cannot see how his wife rides with him either because the seat is not very good for double, but she does. Neither of them are light, between the two of them, probably about 75 pounds heaver that my wife and I. But, that thing can move, they have no trouble running at most highway speeds. It is also fairy smooth too, even at rather rapid speeds. I know this is the Chinese version of the thumpers, but I think the F (Austrian) version would be pretty much the same, or even better. On reliability, the G version has given him troubles. (water pump failure, problems with the fuel injection)
Old 07-22-2014, 09:55 AM   #12
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The new G650 is made in China? Scratch that off the list.

My concern with the "real" 650 is its a glorified Honda XR650 with a different tank. Theres one of those nicely done up in the FM right now for 2200obo...why buy the roundel at that point?

Looks the twin is the way to go really.

Now...I'm used to riding the SUV of the BMW lineup...and they say you can't take it places. I beg to differ. At the same time people say the KLR is a "big bike" and its only a 650. How much "bigger" and "incapable" is a 800cc bike? You go too small and you lose the "get there" ability in favor of the "do that" ability.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #13
toooldtocare
Adventurer

I have been very happy with my F700, and I would have gotten a F800 if I felt comfortable on it. But, it was too tall for me. (getting old really sucks) Another bike that I considered was the Triumph Tiger 800. The only reason I chose the BMW over it, is my history with BMW's. I have been riding those for decades and feel comfortable with them, even though I have owned a couple of Triumphs too. Give the Tiger a serious look too, although I think it is made in Thailand, but I am not sure of that. It is a very nice bike, and maybe a bit cheaper too.