Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #1576
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettel View Post
Heres one, i read somewhere that the instant the battery is disconnected, the bike forgets what day it is and puts the service light on. If this is true, how can i put the cable for the junior battery tender on the battery, without making the service light reset itself? Or am i screwed and i have to get it reset by bmw? I dont fancy buying a gs911 right now.
F658GS, 2012.

Thanks
I've disconnected the battery on multiple Canbus and non-Canbus BMWs and the only thing "bad" thing that happens is the trip odometers and other transient data (fuel mileage, etc.) are zeroed-out. (My non-Canbus G650X would also have it's clock zeroed when plugged into a Junior Battery Tender, which never made sense.)

Fear not.

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #1577
Vettel
MotoDave

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffster View Post
I've disconnected the battery on multiple Canbus and non-Canbus BMWs and the only thing "bad" thing that happens is the trip odometers and other transient data (fuel mileage, etc.) are zeroed-out. (My non-Canbus G650X would also have it's clock zeroed when plugged into a Junior Battery Tender, which never made sense.)

Fear not.
Thanks. I'll try it next weekend one evening.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #1578
Flyred
Who is John Galt?

Oddometer: 681
What size chain does it use?

I see the sprocket sizes but not the chain
Flyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #1579
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,735
It is a 525 O ring type with 116 links. The stock chain is the continuous type with no master link. To install one requires removal of the swing arm and everything attached to it.

It is far easier to install one with a master link. There are two types, one with a clip and the other is the swaged type that requires a tool to rivet it in place.

I have used both and never had an issue, but there are some simple tricks to the install.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:20 AM   #1580
ktownbobski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
1. My dealer said to only use the front brake lever during normal braking (not panic braking). Since the front and rear brakes are linked, it already applies pressure to the rear. Is this true? This is my first modern bike so I'm used to always pressing both: the hand lever and the foot pedal.

2. My F700GS has the factory low suspension, so no center stand. Can you recommend a simple lift/jack/paddock stand that I could get to elevate the rear wheel for chain lubing/cleaning purposes?
A center stand can be easily modified to fit a lowered 700GS. My dealer did the modification and installed mine for $100. Works great.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #1581
dr_54
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Miles to empty

I guess this is the place to ask a dumb question. On a recent trip out west, I went past a gas station while my OBC showed 32 miles. (The next "town" was 11 miles away.) The next "town" had a population of 4. I was informed by 25% of the residents that the next gas was either 20 miles ahead or 11 back. Since my OBC showed 23 miles now, I decided nothing in life is as exciting as not knowing if you're going to make it. So on I rode, however at 55 mph where the same OBC displayed 65 mpg or better the whole way. My dumb question is "Does the fuel level indicator actually show the fuel level, or does it display a relative amount of fuel for the distance?" I noticed that even though I was consuming fuel (obviously) the level did not drop, and that the miles to empty number was dropping at a rate that was less than the miles actually travelled, since I was getting a much better mpg at 55 than at 65.

I did make it, with 7 miles empty, according to the computer. The tank took 3.9 gal on my 2010 F650GS twin.

I know. I'm a dummy. But it was fun.
dr_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #1582
tim-atl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I thought our fuel gauges were provided for entertainment purposes only
tim-atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #1583
Pangia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Question Chain Guard / Coolant / Oil change / Air Filter / Maintenance

Howdy Inmates, I have a few questions for ya all.....

2013 F800GS with 2,000 miles on it, 65% + off road (New Mexico rocky / dusty dirt roads / some recent water crossings). I weigh 175 with no gear and sort of ride it like a dirt bike that weighs 500 lbs....

CHAIN GUARD
My chain guard fell off on my last ride. Luckily I heard it and stopped in time before it was destroyed or lost. QUESTIONS:
1. Should I just get new bolts from Ace Hardware and bolt it on with loctite (blue) or should I bring it to the dealer and ask for warranty?

2. Is there anything else I might want to consider locktiting before I loose it?

3. Could the falling off of the chain guard have caused damage to me or my bike? (in other words, how often does the guard get caught in the wheel or chain sprocket?)

COOLANT
What kind of coolant should I use to top up the coolant? I am on the min level and would like to top up to max.

OIL CHANGE
I am used to dirt bikes and changing oil every few hundred miles. When might I want to consider my next oil change? (Did the 600 mile change) I believe the manual states 10,000 KM....for a dirt bike rider, that seems insane....am I being too cautious at say 2,500 miles?

AIR FILTER
As I ride mostly on dirt, should I be checking and cleaning the air filter often?....again...old dirt bike habit...did it every 1 or 2 rides....do I just need to relax now that I have an F800GS and allow more time between maintenance???

Thanks for your replies!!

2013 F800GS / Santa Fe to Cinnamon Pass Ride Report

Pangia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #1584
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangia View Post
Howdy Inmates, I have a few questions for ya all.....

2013 F800GS with 2,000 miles on it, 65% + off road (New Mexico rocky / dusty dirt roads / some recent water crossings). I weigh 175 with no gear and sort of ride it like a dirt bike that weighs 500 lbs....

CHAIN GUARD
My chain guard fell off on my last ride. Luckily I heard it and stopped in time before it was destroyed or lost. QUESTIONS:
1. Should I just get new bolts from Ace Hardware and bolt it on with loctite (blue) or should I bring it to the dealer and ask for warranty?
Yeppers, that's what I would do.

2. Is there anything else I might want to consider locktiting before I loose it?

3. Could the falling off of the chain guard have caused damage to me or my bike? (in other words, how often does the guard get caught in the wheel or chain sprocket?)
I have abused my '09 for about 13000 miles, and it is still tight as it was new.

COOLANT
What kind of coolant should I use to top up the coolant? I am on the min level and would like to top up to max.
Go to the bmw car dealer, right next to sandia.... They use the same in their cars, and cost less.

OIL CHANGE
I am used to dirt bikes and changing oil every few hundred miles. When might I want to consider my next oil change? (Did the 600 mile change) I believe the manual states 10,000 KM....for a dirt bike rider, that seems insane....am I being too cautious at say 2,500 miles?
I go 5000 miles. I'm in the desert south of you.

AIR FILTER
As I ride mostly on dirt, should I be checking and cleaning the air filter often?....again...old dirt bike habit...did it every 1 or 2 rides....do I just need to relax now that I have an F800GS and allow more time between maintenance???
It really depends, as you know as a dirt bike rider. I have a look at mine each 2-3k miles, and have changed it about each 5k miles..... I suck a lot of dirt, as I am usually in the back filming.

Thanks for your replies!!
Welcome. I just finished several about 13 thousand footers in Silverton,CO. Flew up the steep and loose sections. It is a great bike, and I see grinning in your future.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #1585
Flyred
Who is John Galt?

Oddometer: 681
[QUOTE=itsatdm;21975246]It is a 525 O ring type with 116 links. The stock chain is the continuous type with no master link. To install one requires removal of the swing arm and everything attached to it.

Got it. I've got a Sawz All and will remove the swing arm thingy
Flyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #1586
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-atl View Post
Sometimes it seems that way.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #1587
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-atl View Post
Oh, they're dead accurate compared to the fuel-strip driven indicators in hexhead R1200s!!

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #1588
Pete7874
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
What is the proper way to check engine oil level?

I'm reading the manual of my F700GS, and it says to put it on center stand which I don't have. So the next best thing is to keep the bike in a vertical position. So, am I to understand that I need to be pulling out the dipstick with one hand while holding the bike upright with the other hand or while sitting on the bike??? Seems a bit awkward.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #1589
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,477
Pete,

You just gotta send a letter or email to BMW customer service on this one. I'd like to see their official response!

You can get a wheel chock for your garage to hold the bike upright for oil checks and maintenance.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #1590
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,710
Hahaha......beautiful!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote