Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #1651
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbethandbanquo View Post
One question:

Is there any DISADVANTAGE to raising the shift lever?
YES.

When you raise the lever to make upshifting easier, people tend to use their whole foot to downshift. Usually with excessive force. I've seen two BMW's with destroyed shifter mechanisms denied warranty because of a repositioned shifter. If you do it, BE GENTLE on the downside!

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #1652
macbethandbanquo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Good point on the downshift!! Well, I've decided for now I'm going to leave it exactly as it is and get used to it.

Each time I ride with the new boots I'm getting more and more "used" to it.

I think everything else on the bike is working fine for me.....I'm liking the bike more and more.

Went to the BMW shop today where all the guys "hang out" on Saturdays. Average age was about 60 and most had the big tourers. When I asked several what they were riding the answer most given was, "Well TODAY, I'm on such and such!" these guys had at least 2 BMW's. One for touring, one for tooling around, and a few of the new 1200 GS Adventures. My little F650 looked tiny!!
Just got a GIVI Trekker 33l topcase yesterday, and am SO PLEASED with the look.
And, hey! The dealership even gave me a FREE T-Shirt!! And donuts!
macbethandbanquo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:35 PM   #1653
Pangia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Rubber Insert Removed?

Quote:
Good point on the downshift!! Well, I've decided for now I'm going to leave it exactly as it is and get used to it.

Macbethandbanquo:
Have you removed the rubber inserts off of the stock foot pegs? If not, it makes it easier to shift with the boots you are wearing. They simply pull out.

2013 F800GS / Santa Fe to Cinnamon Pass Ride Report

Pangia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #1654
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:

I think everything else on the bike is working fine for me.....I'm liking the bike more and more.

Went to the BMW shop today where all the guys "hang out" on Saturdays. Average age was about 60 and most had the big tourers. When I asked several what they were riding the answer most given was, "Well TODAY, I'm on such and such!" these guys had at least 2 BMW's. One for touring, one for tooling around, and a few of the new 1200 GS Adventures. My little F650 looked tiny!!
Just got a GIVI Trekker 33l topcase yesterday, and am SO PLEASED with the look.
And, hey! The dealership even gave me a FREE T-Shirt!! And donuts!
My 2¢ - got some lovely TCX X-Deserts earlier this year (blew the budget on them) and the first time I rode the bike I fumbled the gears so much it was as though I'd never ridden a manual bike. Couldn't find neutral, had trouble upshifting... Downright embarrassing. After wearing them for a couple days off the bike, suddenly everything clicked and they've worked great ever since. I put it down to the stiffness of the new boots.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #1655
The Island
Im lost.

Oddometer: 219
Whats happening with this plug?

Can anyone here tell me whats going on with this plug—just below the light cluster there? What is it used for? I tried to unplug it to see if anything happened but nadda. Just curious.

Oh, on a side note, I disconnected my battery to hook up a battery tender and then reconnected it. Now, when I turn the key on, I get a message on my cluster that says, "SERVICE" gives me some numbers and then says, "DATE". Never used to do this but it's interesting to say the least. The numbers don't even make sense — it's not a date or anything...

2013 f800gs

Thanks peoples! -g
The Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #1656
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Island View Post
Can anyone here tell me whats going on with this plug—just below the light cluster there? What is it used for? I tried to unplug it to see if anything happened but nadda. Just curious.

Oh, on a side note, I disconnected my battery to hook up a battery tender and then reconnected it. Now, when I turn the key on, I get a message on my cluster that says, "SERVICE" gives me some numbers and then says, "DATE". Never used to do this but it's interesting to say the least. The numbers don't even make sense — it's not a date or anything...

2013 f800gs

Thanks peoples! -g
Not sure what that plug is, maybe the horn connector?

What numbers are being shown? Mine shows mm.yyyy... Maybe removing the battery has reset the service date interval timer and it has defaulted to some random date or is displaying a code...?

Old 09-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #1657
dpm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
ambient temp sender.
dpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #1658
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
The current time and date (as well as the service due mileage and date??) need to be reset when the battery has been disconnected. It's a pain.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #1659
RexBuck
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
The current time and date (as well as the service due mileage and date??) need to be reset when the battery has been disconnected. It's a pain.
A GS911 will allow you to reset the service reminder by mileage and date. Also it is a handy dandy gadget to review faults and do a few other handy things when you service your bike.
RexBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #1660
The Island
Im lost.

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
Not sure what that plug is, maybe the horn connector?

What numbers are being shown? Mine shows mm.yyyy... Maybe removing the battery has reset the service date interval timer and it has defaulted to some random date or is displaying a code...?
Heha, wouldn't you know it. It's the month & year — (it says, 07,2014), durp. I wonder why it's showing it all of a sudden now. I remember when I was putting the time back, I noticed, "Flash" and "Lap" I know what the lap does but perhaps flash needs to be off...

The ambient temp, you say? Hmm. Could be.

Thanks everyone!
The Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #1661
RexBuck
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Heha, wouldn't you know it. It's the month & year — (it says, 07,2014), durp. I wonder why it's showing it all of a sudden now. I remember when I was putting the time back, I noticed, "Flash" and "Lap" I know what the lap does but perhaps flash needs to be off...

Thanks everyone!
Yes, it is the ambiant temperature sensor
RexBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #1662
Pangia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Question Yikes!!....oil filter over torque

1st time changing oil on F800gs...(I'm at 2800 miles) I was following a youtube f800gs oil change by moto insight. He says to torque the Oil Filter to 14 Nm and I was looking at foot pounds, not Nm on my torque wrench....so I over torqued by about 2x because I went to 15 foot pounds....once I realized what I had done, I loosened the filter a 1/3 turn and then watched the Nm scale....now the filter is at 15 newton meters. Yes, I had a little oil dabbed on the rubber gasket.

Questions:
1. did I possibly hurt anything by over torquing the filter?
2. Should I have left it over torqued rather than backing it out 1/3 turn?
3. I leave for a trip tomorrow, anything I should pay extra attention to?
4. Should I try to get a new filter on there or am I ok?
5. Why do I feel like a mother who has hurt her child?...(it's a fricken motorcycle!)

Thanks!
Pangia

2013 F800GS / Santa Fe to Cinnamon Pass Ride Report

Pangia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #1663
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangia View Post
1st time changing oil on F800gs...(I'm at 2800 miles) I was following a youtube f800gs oil change by moto insight. He says to torque the Oil Filter to 14 Nm and I was looking at foot pounds, not Nm on my torque wrench....so I over torqued by about 2x because I went to 15 foot pounds....once I realized what I had done, I loosened the filter a 1/3 turn and then watched the Nm scale....now the filter is at 15 newton meters. Yes, I had a little oil dabbed on the rubber gasket.

Questions:
1. did I possibly hurt anything by over torquing the filter?
2. Should I have left it over torqued rather than backing it out 1/3 turn?
3. I leave for a trip tomorrow, anything I should pay extra attention to?
4. Should I try to get a new filter on there or am I ok?
5. Why do I feel like a mother who has hurt her child?...(it's a fricken motorcycle!)

Thanks!
Pangia
Lucky you noticed before you ran the bike (and heated everything up) or it probably would have been on for good! As a general rule of thumb for oil filters you should not wrench them on (very easy to deform the thin metal and cause flow issues inside the filter).

As you've done, rub fresh motor oil on the gasket with your finger, but then turn it on until the gasket makes contact with the engine, then turn it 1/2 - 3/4 of a turn further (by hand). This will be roughly 14-15nm. The oil filter wrench should only be used for removing the filter. This is from my dad who was an engine mechanic for nearly 50 years.

Provided there is no visible damage to the filter (dents, ripples which are not part of its design etc) you should be ok. Just keep an eye on it to ensure no leaks as you may have compressed the gasket beyond its design parameters, however if it was only for a brief amount of time I doubt this would be the case.

Out of curiosity why are you changing the oil at 2800 miles? It's good for 6k or 1 year unless you're riding in sand/dust constantly...

Old 09-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #1664
Morro
like a ship in the night

Oddometer: 242
Quote:

Thanks everyone!
After the first service and first long ride on my new F700gs I found out the air compressor I hade been carrying would not work in the standard accessory socket - worked until under load and stopped. the computer switched off the socket as it was drawing too much power. I added an extra power socket connected straight to the battery. Hooked everything up worked fine and then noticed the service warning on the screen. I went to the dealer thinking I had shorted something and he just reset it for me. The default date in the bike computer is something like the year 2100 so the next service date becomes overdue and comes on.
Morro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #1665
moe.ron
What a friggin' putz

Oddometer: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morro View Post
After the first service and first long ride on my new F700gs I found out the air compressor I hade been carrying would not work in the standard accessory socket - worked until under load and stopped. the computer switched off the socket as it was drawing too much power. I added an extra power socket connected straight to the battery. Hooked everything up worked fine and then noticed the service warning on the screen. I went to the dealer thinking I had shorted something and he just reset it for me. The default date in the bike computer is something like the year 2100 so the next service date becomes overdue and comes on.
Do you remember how long did it took them to reset the service light?