Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #166
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,267
but we ride all year long here...no storage time for our bikes...but i do think a marine type lube for the winters is a good idea...something with good water resistance and of course more frequent cleaning during those months...thanks for all the input~
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:35 PM   #167
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
Corrosion Block/ACF-50 does do a good job of resisting washout.
I apply it right before the winter. I paint it on with a brush.
(I may have to re-apply later on in some spots, like the exhaust headers. I hate seeing corrosion there.)

Come spring time, I wash my bike of all the grime that's accumulated during the winter. The Corrosion Block is underneath it all, protecting my bike. It's actually somewhat hard to remove. I need soap and water and I have to really scrub. After that, I re-apply the CB. This will last the spring/summer/fall. So I apply it twice a year. I really don't wash the bike during the winter. The Corrosion Block is doing its job. (That's kind of a lie, I wash the windscreen and try to get some nasty salt dust off of the dash....).

I only need to apply CB to the chain once before the winter.
I clean the chain, apply CB and then put the chain lube on top of that.
After that, I just lube the chain as normal, like the CB wasn't even there.

I have a bunch of threads I've bookmarked about Corrosion Block.
Here you go!
http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewto...311458#2311458 <--good overview of how to apply it
http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm
http://www.mkhouse.com/html/corrosionbl.htm

Like I said, I enjoy telling people about this product because it works really well.
I can PM you more info if you want. There's plenty of stuff online, though.

inmate-n00b screwed with this post 04-26-2011 at 09:44 PM
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #168
soph9
Bike Addict

not that I doubt you but what would you do if you were not storing your bike>
Old 04-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #169
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
not that I doubt you but what would you do if you were not storing your bike>
hmmm i dont understand. you mean if you dont keep the bike in a garage?
i'd try something like a cycle shell.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motorcycle-garage/
i've heard good things about it.

hope this helps.
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:02 PM   #170
soph9
Bike Addict

we don't store our bikes so our routine would be different...that is my point...we ride 12 months out of the year here.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:40 AM   #171
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Oddometer: 404
Aaarrgg...I can't take it anymore. I feel like bonking your heads together. OMG and Flashback do NOT store their bikes...They ride all year round just like Soph!!! Can we move on now?
Old 04-27-2011, 03:29 AM   #172
soph9
Bike Addict

^ gotcha
Old 04-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #173
xxxshiftxxx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
I noticed a different noise when I pull in my clutch.. like my bike gets quieter on the clutch side, less of a tick.

Normal noises?
xxxshiftxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #174
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxshiftxxx View Post
I noticed a different noise when I pull in my clutch.. like my bike gets quieter on the clutch side, less of a tick.

Normal noises?
Mine does that too. And my Jeep. And every other bike or manual I've ever owned. Not sure what it is, but it seems to be normal.
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #175
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 674
Bluhduh Shifting issues

alright, my turn...

Anyone have problems with their transmissions? Three separate times I have had non-positive (?) shifts from 5th into 6th gear. By non-positive, I mean I disengage the clutch and up-shift. Upon re-engaging the clutch and rolling on the throttle, the computer gear indicator goes blank (everything else is there but the gear indicator). It "feels" like a good shift, but the tranny just isn't engaged. It's like I have a neutral gear in between 5 and 6. Twice I was in very heavy traffic coming into DC, so not a perfect setting to have this happen.

Now, today, I am cruising along in 3rd gear in traffic and must come to a quick stop. At a full stop, I try to down-shift into 1st. Won't go. I am stomping on that damn gear shifter to the point where I am concerned I will bend it. I roll the bike back and forth, feather the clutch in and out, and blip the throttle while working the shift lever up and down. I get it to go into 2nd, but won't go into 1st. Not a problem there, as I can get it moving in 2nd.

Later on, same thing happens out in the middle of nowhere. I come around a corner and a work crew is in the middle of the road picking up cones, so I come to a rapid stop, this time in 6th. I can't get that damn thing to down shift from a stand still to save my life. I do my best Fred Flintstone impression to get it rolling and then start working the clutch and shifter, but can only get it down to 5th. I try to go with it and stall it out. Get it to go down one gear before firing it back up, and get another gear right away (so, I'm in 3rd). Since I'm rolling, I can lug the engine to get it going.

I usually make a habit of engine braking, so the down shift thing isn't usually a problem. Just happens that I can't do it twice today, and I felt like it was my first day on a bike. I've never had a problem down shifting at a stand still before.

Someone tell me I'm not a complete idiot (or at least as it relates to my ride). Help me...what am I doing wrong? Something else I should try that I'm not already doing?

If it helps (not sure it will), I have a 2011, in the fastest color: white.

BTW - I love this thing. Thanks all.
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #176
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushman View Post
alright, my turn...

Anyone have problems with their transmissions? Three separate times I have had non-positive (?) shifts from 5th into 6th gear. By non-positive, I mean I disengage the clutch and up-shift. Upon re-engaging the clutch and rolling on the throttle, the computer gear indicator goes blank (everything else is there but the gear indicator). It "feels" like a good shift, but the tranny just isn't engaged. It's like I have a neutral gear in between 5 and 6. Twice I was in very heavy traffic coming into DC, so not a perfect setting to have this happen.

Now, today, I am cruising along in 3rd gear in traffic and must come to a quick stop. At a full stop, I try to down-shift into 1st. Won't go. I am stomping on that damn gear shifter to the point where I am concerned I will bend it. I roll the bike back and forth, feather the clutch in and out, and blip the throttle while working the shift lever up and down. I get it to go into 2nd, but won't go into 1st. Not a problem there, as I can get it moving in 2nd.

Later on, same thing happens out in the middle of nowhere. I come around a corner and a work crew is in the middle of the road picking up cones, so I come to a rapid stop, this time in 6th. I can't get that damn thing to down shift from a stand still to save my life. I do my best Fred Flintstone impression to get it rolling and then start working the clutch and shifter, but can only get it down to 5th. I try to go with it and stall it out. Get it to go down one gear before firing it back up, and get another gear right away (so, I'm in 3rd). Since I'm rolling, I can lug the engine to get it going.

I usually make a habit of engine braking, so the down shift thing isn't usually a problem. Just happens that I can't do it twice today, and I felt like it was my first day on a bike. I've never had a problem down shifting at a stand still before.

Someone tell me I'm not a complete idiot (or at least as it relates to my ride). Help me...what am I doing wrong? Something else I should try that I'm not already doing?

If it helps (not sure it will), I have a 2011, in the fastest color: white.

BTW - I love this thing. Thanks all.
False neutrals are relatively common, although the gearbox on this bike is usually pretty good. It might be a symptom of:
a) excessive gearbox wear (unlikely for such a new bike)
b) low or overfull oil (checked the level lately?)
c) inaccurate shifting (do you have a weak, girly foot? Or is maybe your shifter bent a little from a drop?)

I wouldn't worry about it unless it actually drops out of gear once you've selected it. My old XL250 did that.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:19 AM   #177
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
You've been told wrong, Snowy. The tank holds 16 liters. That's it. No more. The "reserve" is the last few gulps of those 16 liters.

After I got my faulty fuel sender fixed back in the spring of '09, I strapped a gas can to the back rack and deliberately ran the tank dry twice on the same day. In a mix of highway and back country roads, the bike ran out of gas at 348 and 350 kms. After both run-dries, I put in a hair over 16 liters.

Depending on your riding style, you may get a little more or less. But those numbers are real-world numbers.
Yep.

Know that now.

16 litres.

That might work on German roads..........
Snowy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:44 AM   #178
tacoma87
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Hey guys,

This is a question from a soon to be owner of an f800gs but i wanted to ask the experts to be 100% on my purchase choice. With that being said....I want to make sure this bike will fit my needs.

I currently have an xr650l that is a lot of fun to ride and play in the dirt with, but where I live I need to put the bike in the truck and haul it to go play in the dirt because a two hour highway buzz on the xr is an endurance challenge for your whole body. Once there you have a blast and are exhausted, and then you leave and have a dreaded highway buzz for two hours on an already sore and wore out body.

I ride 90% rode most of the time, but like to explore random trails and fire roads. I also want to be able to ride with relative comfort from charlotte to the blue ridge pkwy and ride all day, with breaks of course but hopefully not every 50miles like the xr. I got to ride the 800 for maybe 20miles but thats all the dealer was willing to let me ride, so it was hard to feel how long i could have gone riding it.

Also is 2up for a ride to blue ridge pkwy going to be comfortable? Me 225lbs, wife 100lbs. I know the 1200 would be better for this but it is to expensive and doesnt do the dirt as well.

Should i have the dealer install 50/50 tires immediately? Choices? TKC 80s or other?

How many miles do you expect out of your 800? Im a toyota owner for cars and trucks, so i like reliability and longevity.

With all this said....does the f800gs fit the bill for me? I think its going to be the "perfect" bike for my needs but would like a more seasoned 800 owner to let me know.

Sorry for the long post....

Thanks,
Ben
Old 04-28-2011, 08:37 AM   #179
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 964
Tires -

I'll chime in on tires. I ride 75-82mph on asphalt. Sometimes 1000 to get to dirt. TKC-80's are not for higher speeds like I ride on asphalt. I went thru the Tkc's in 4,500 miles. Hedeau now...so much better riding and still decent on dirt.

Only U can decide if this bike is for you...had a 1200,1150, klr, K75S, and w/o doubt this F800gs has been my favorite.

My only complaint about the F8 is what a crappy owner's manual & tool kit for a $13k bike.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:57 AM   #180
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
What L&C said, except the tires are spelled Heidenau (K60). Best 50/50 tire out there.

The F800 is going to be piggier than the XR650, but still a blast in the dirt. And as long as the seat doesn't bother you (I'm fine with the stock seat), highway miles are a breeze.

I never ride two up, so I can't give you any input there.

The overall reliability of this bike is still an open question. I've just passed 30,000 miles and the only trouble I've had, if you can call it trouble, are the recalls that have been taken care of for free during my regular service intervals. It's never left me stranded, and I don't baby it. A few people are now well over 50,000 miles. Rotax engines are the salt of the earth.

I ride long distances to play in the dirt, and used to ride an R1100GS and a V-Strom, but the F800GS is about as close to the perfect bike for me as I ever expect to see.

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote