User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #1816
ibgary
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
tank size

I'm trespassing, because I'm not an owner yet.
What is the tank size? I thought it was 3.2, but BMW 2013 model guide shows it as 3.7 gal.
Thanks.
ibgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #1817
Virtual Rider
Traveler

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
I'm trespassing, because I'm not an owner yet.
What is the tank size? I thought it was 3.2, but BMW 2013 model guide shows it as 3.7 gal.
Thanks.
BMW's website lists it as 4.2, with 1 gallon of that as "reserve". Not sure where 3.7 might have come from.

FYI, the GSA has a 6.3Gal tank, again including 1 Gal reserve.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #1818
Virtual Rider
Traveler

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Island View Post
Though I can't say whether or not there is an unused SAE connector anywhere on your bike (mine came with one in which the dealer installed) but, what you have found there is a handy dandy spot to connect a GPS or another gadget that you want to tie into the can-bus system.

Currently, I have my Montana hooked up to it so that when the key is off, so is the gps. You can pick up the adapter from your dealer.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...45&postcount=7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexBuck View Post
Yah, that plug under the top plate is for a GPS - you can buy a connector (I think from Twisted Throttle or Touretech) to wire up to your GPS wiring harness. Like The Island said, it works. However, I found it didn't work well for a GPS. Since the plug is controlled by the All Knowing CanBus, it for some reason decides to periodically reduce the voltage to the GPS to such a level that the GPS thinks there is no power and switches to its internal battery. You may discover this has occurred when the internal battery poops out in the middle of a big city because the GPS was running on it for the last 3 hours.

Don't want to sound like a broken record here but buy a FuzBlock that wires directly to the battery and you can have a whole bunch of switched and unswitched gadgets hooked up to your battery.

One of the gadgets you can have hooked up through the FuzBlock is the SAE plug. I think some dealers install them . . . mine didn't. I have it coming out just in front of and to the right of the ignition. Great for 12v pump, battery tender (again so you don't have to use that crazy CanBus version), etc.
Thanks. I'd really like to get to the bottom of some of the reported weird CanBus behavior. If for no other reason, just to satisfy my curiosity.

I need to decide how much I may add in the way of accessories down the road. At the moment I just need a phone charger. I'll also need to start thinking about a battery tender as the weather gets colder too.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #1819
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Rider View Post
Thanks. I'd really like to get to the bottom of some of the reported weird CanBus behavior. If for no other reason, just to satisfy my curiosity.

I need to decide how much I may add in the way of accessories down the road. At the moment I just need a phone charger. I'll also need to start thinking about a battery tender as the weather gets colder too.
There has been the odd person who seems to understand how CanBus functions, I don't. I think CanBus works fine for running your bike, it just get's weird when adding external stuff. For some folks, it works fine for the GPS, others not. For some, it works fine for handling the BMW trickle charger, for others it didn't.

FuzBlock has been the answer for me. Here is what I have wired to mine:
GPS (switched)
SAE connecter (not switched)
Connecter for heated gear (switched)
Voltage meter (switched)
Spot lights (switched)

Without the FuzBlock I would have 5 extra wires piled onto my battery and none of that stuff would be switched . . . with my sad memory, I be sure to forget to turn something off and end up with a dead battery.
www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #1820
TBickell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
S%#t can the Canbus..

I ave had my 2011 for 3 years and the Canbus has only created problems when it come so running GPS or even using a "power-let" plug to charge a phone from the dedicated tank plug. I had my 900 dollar ZUMO 665 give me fits because it was always being "managed" by the "canbus". I had the dealer rewire that and the SAE battery tender pig tail directly to the battery. I use that to connect to the GPS now and I have had no issues with either. IT MAY work for managing other electronics on the bike but it will over-ride any extra's that one adds. If I used a heated vest or other items I would get a fuse block add on but for now what I have works..
TBickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:27 AM   #1821
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,163
I use the GPS power lead to light switched circuits on a my aux power board - lamps, gps, tank bag electrics, etc. Works great.

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #1822
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by husky123 View Post
Finally thought of a good noob question. Can the outlet next to the key handle heated gear (specifically my vest)? If so/not what is it's intended uses? Thanks dudes.
Switched power outlet is for stuff that stays on the bike when the key is off and the bike is parked so as not to drain the battery.

Heated gear should be powered by a separate connector coming directly from the battery. There is no need to have this connector switched because you will always unplug your heated gear when you park the bike.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #1823
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post
Switched power outlet is for stuff that stays on the bike when the key is off and the bike is parked so as not to drain the battery.

Heated gear should be powered by a separate connector coming directly from the battery. There is no need to have this connector switched because you will always unplug your heated gear when you park the bike.
Wouldn't bet on it. Have at least 3 friends/famely members who drained their battery because of heated gear. Stay on the safe side and and run it trough one of these switched power outlets.

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #1824
Antares600rr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Does anybody make a GP style exhaust for the f800gs?

Sent from my brake caliper
Antares600rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:44 AM   #1825
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares600rr View Post
Does anybody make a GP style exhaust for the f800gs?

Sent from my brake caliper
What do you call a GP style exhaust? Short one? CF? We have threads covering both here

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #1826
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
How to carry service "manual " on bike ?
CD is both fragile, and very hard to read in the dark, or inclement conditions, at the side of the road.'
How do you guys distill, or copy or carry important service data ?
I am currently attempting to 'copy' the 1.74 gig service book, but it has been reading for over an hour, and is not nearly one quarter way to hard drive on PC.

Copying to thumb drive or tablet might overwhelm available storage. is there an easy way to pick relevant chapters, or JUST the particular data for ONE bike, let us say the F800GS, USA spec ?
Old 10-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #1827
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
I would just copy some of the important section like electrical and mechanical trouble shooting to a flash drive or your note book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Power View Post
CD is both fragile, and very hard to read in the dark, or inclement conditions, at the side of the road.'
I am currently attempting to 'copy' the 1.74 gig service book, but it has been reading for over an hour, and is not nearly one quarter way to hard drive on PC.

Copying to thumb drive or tablet might overwhelm available storage. is there an easy way to pick relevant chapters, or JUST the particular data for ONE bike, let us say the F800GS, USA spec ?
Scubalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #1828
bmwroadsterca
RadioFlyer

Oddometer: 109
USB Drive

Since I travel with a netbook computer that also serves to run the software for my GS-911 I copied the entire workshop manual onto a USB drive. I could not get Windows to do the copy but learned that the DOS XCOPY command would do the trick. From the drive that you wish to copy the manual to as the DOS prompt the XCOPY command is:
xcopy D:*.*/E/V/C/H/Y
where D = the drive letter of the drive in which you have the service manual disc.

The copy still takes a long time but it works.

I am also in the habit of grabbing bits of wisdom from fora like this one and squirreling it away on my PC. Before taking a long trip I take the entire contents of those sub-directories and dumping them onto the USB drive as well.

mike
bmwroadsterca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #1829
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
What is this stuff ??? How/where do you apply it?
Apply it around your anus, of course. But you only needs to do that when about to bring the bike in for service.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #1830
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Power View Post

I usually carry a compact laptop with me and have a copy of the BMW RepRom and a scanned-in version of the Haynes manual on that...

For good measure I have copied both to a 4Gb USB thumbdrive that stays on the bike. I did not have any problem copying the BMW-RepRom to the thumbdrive using a regular windows copy,
just don't be in a hurry ... it takes several hours ... apparently this is due the (stupid) layout and number of files on the DVD ...
175,000+ files in almost 95,000+ folders....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote