Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2011, 03:23 AM   #331
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
My dealer told me it was an extra you can carry in your wallet in case you lose your regular key. You can walk through an airport metal detector with it. Seems kind of dumb to me.
That is what I was told too. Of course, haven't tried it yet...just threw it in my "extra keys" box.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:48 AM   #332
AlanI
Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBen View Post
Like I said I was just going through the stuff and found an extra key. Well, two actually but one is plastic. Is it an actual ignition key or just a just incase you lock the bars and lose your others.
On my bike this extra plastic key operates the ignition, seat, fuel cap and OEM cases and I've stuck it in my wallet on the off-chance that I go and lose the master key somewhere. And yes, there's no mention of it in the handbook, at least my version.
AlanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #333
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 672
Engine Coolant

So, I had to swap out my heat exchanger this week. I spoke with my local dealer to make sure I had all that I needed. Pretty easy process actually. Problem is that I had to drain the coolant on the bike to do it. No big deal. I drop these bolts and gravity pretty much takes care of the rest.

Everything goes back on easily. I tighten the top one back up good, but leave the bottom one "loose." I fill the radiator up and allow it to start trickling out of that bottom bolt. I'm hoping that by slow filling and doing this quasi-bleeding process, the air will rise up and the coolant will fill the system. I tightened the bottom bolt and top off the radiator. Fill the over-flow reservoir and let it sit (guidance provided by my dealer). After an hour or so, I went out and started the bike and let it ran for 5-10 minutes. Everything looks good-to-go.

This morning, I went out for a quick ride, and super-slabbed it down the highway to get to the start of my ride. No problems. Jump off the slab and hit a side road, 25mph. Drive about 1.5 miles and the temp gauge starts flashing. Shit. Call the wife and have her bring me my jug of premix coolant. Fill it up with maybe 2 cups of fluid. Knowing that I probably have air in the system, I lay the bike on its side and gently bump the radiator to release any air to the top. Lay it over on the other side and do it again. Right the bike and open the cap. It take about the entire reservoir to fill the radiator. So, top of the overflow again. Do the lay down tricks again, and all seems well. So off I come home. No problems when I get back...even after letting the bike idle in the driveway for a few minutes to see if I could get the temp to rise.

So, my question: any tricks to filling the coolant system out there for this newbie? Sorry for the long post.
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #334
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,669
Sweet!

Just ride it home. Have fun & enjoy. You don't need to worry about a thing. Maybe take along a tiny can of WD40 to lube the chain at night.

The oil filter is plenty adequate, and the air filter lasts half of forever. You won't need to change it for a few thousand miles.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:37 PM   #335
lout
AYCIC

Oddometer: 740
[QUOTE=cushman;16145663]So, I had to swap out my heat exchanger this week. I spoke with my local dealer to make sure I had all that I needed. Pretty easy process actually. Problem is that I had to drain the coolant on the bike to do it. No big deal. I drop these bolts and gravity pretty much takes care of the rest.
QUOTE]

Why did you have to change it?

TASMANIA - Explore the corruption.

Orange paint and 37 clicks of suspension adjustment doesn't make up for being a shit rider :j Mo

It's not that I don't believe in God..I just believe in one less God than you.

Monsanto - The evil that keeps on growing
lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #336
Jamm
Old man on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 215
Bluhduh Riding position

I'm trying to find my sweet spot riding position. After riding around for a while I notice that my arms are supporting my upper body. This obviously tires the hands after a while. I also notice that the seat makes me want to lean forward also even when my shins are perpendicular to the ground. I'm a fairly larger guy, 6'-2", 260# but there is not enough room for my arms to move much if I sit in the crotch (low point) of the seat.

I would like to know what riding position is the correct one. I know that the OEM seat can be modified to accommodate my big ass but I'm not sure what can be done to keep my weight from being on the handlebars all the time. Right now the bike is stock but I'm leaning on a Scott's stabilizer in the future and would like to know if othrs have solved this problem.

Any help is appreciated.
Jamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #337
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
@ cushman: there is a bleed screw for the cooling system at a fairly high point on the water pump. You can recognize it by the washer under its head.

@ Jamm: I think bar risers will help you a lot. Sounds like you have to reach too far down/forward to get your mitts on the grips.
Bayner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:08 AM   #338
jwnsc
Hang in there.

Oddometer: 329
I hate when that happens!

Removing wheels for the first time to mount Heidenaus on my F650GS twin. No problem. Now I'm installing the rear wheel and seem to have
an extra wheel spacer (see pic) Owners manual no help. My recently purchased Haynes manual somewhere between England and SC.
Anybody got a picture showing where this spacer goes? I'm thinking on the right side of the rear wheel because that's where I found it.

Although, it could have been inadvertently moved over there.

UPDATE: Found a parts fiche photo and figured it out. I had put
a front wheel spacer in the space where the spacer pictured below
goes. Doh!
Attached Images

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-
mindedness." Mark Twain

jwnsc screwed with this post 06-13-2011 at 09:59 AM
jwnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:16 AM   #339
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
87 octane in Canada

I'm planning a trans lab trip.
Some one said that the only places to get better than 87 octane fuel are Baie Comeau, Labrador City, and Goose Bay.

Can the f800gs run ok on 87 octane?

I know some folks got in trouble with that in South America.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...650877&page=21
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:35 AM   #340
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
@ cushman: there is a bleed screw for the cooling system at a fairly high point on the water pump. You can recognize it by the washer under its head.
Thanks Bayner. Will try that now.
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #341
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_WTF View Post
I'm planning a trans lab trip.
Some one said that the only places to get better than 87 octane fuel are Baie Comeau, Labrador City, and Goose Bay.

Can the f800gs run ok on 87 octane?

I know some folks got in trouble with that in South America.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...650877&page=21
I ran the Trans Lab on the available pump gas wherever I stopped and it wasn't a problem. Avoid low RPM full throttle applications and you will be fine for a tank or two on regular. (Or bring a supply of octane boost with you.) FWIW I don't remember having a big problem finding premium in the east.
Bayner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:35 AM   #342
Oddward
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Tube size

What tube size fits the rear tire? Is the 5.00/5.10 - 17 the correct size? It converts to a 140/80 -17. I have looked at several different size conversion charts with each having slightly different information.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:44 AM   #343
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnsc View Post
Removing wheels for the first time to mount Heidenaus on my F650GS twin. No problem. Now I'm installing the rear wheel and seem to have
an extra wheel spacer (see pic) Owners manual no help. My recently purchased Haynes manual somewhere between England and SC.
Anybody got a picture showing where this spacer goes? I'm thinking on the right side of the rear wheel because that's where I found it.

Although, it could have been inadvertently moved over there.

UPDATE: Found a parts fiche photo and figured it out. I had put
a front wheel spacer in the space where the spacer pictured below
goes. Doh!

By the way, that spacer looks like the one which goes on the right (sprocket) side.

Also note, the brake caliper can get a bit twisted (bound) on the rotor when you remount the wheel. If your tire won't turn easy and is sticking/rubbing real bad, just give the caliper a whack with your hand to realign it. Smack it toward the wheel, and the tire should start turning freely. This is something I've had to do with nearly every remount. Very frustrating until you figure out what it is. Just a floating alignment issue with the brake pads and rotor. There is some play in the caliper mount on the swingarm. Bet that solves your problem every time.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #344
Frey Bentos
not listening

Oddometer: 657
Okay, I couldn't be holed to read all this thread at the moment but here's my 'stupid' question.
After ten years of 1100gs' i have just gotten the go ahead to look for a 'new' bike from The Oracle. I was thinking of either a new 660 tenere or more than likely an 800GS.

So chaps, would i regret getting the 800?
Frey Bentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #345
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frey Bentos View Post
Okay, I couldn't be holed to read all this thread at the moment but here's my 'stupid' question.
After ten years of 1100gs' i have just gotten the go ahead to look for a 'new' bike from The Oracle. I was thinking of either a new 660 tenere or more than likely an 800GS.

So chaps, would i regret getting the 800?
after 10 years on an 1100gs i don't think you would regret much except that the 11 is a little more comfy on long pavement rides, but then i don't think you would like long pavementon the tenere at all. I have the 650 twin and as far as i'm concerned it and the 8 are pretty much the same bike and probably the best allround go anywhere anytime bike out there at the moment. Their fairly comfy on the long haul and pretty easy to get way out in the boonies on!
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote