Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #361
DonHS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronnzy View Post
I just discovered that my standard 12v/car cell phone and apple chargers won't fit in the GS's power outlet. WTF?

Yes, you can say it, "you just noticed that now?" I should have I guess, but I haven't needed it before now. I did a google search on adapters/BMW outlet etc. and it doesn't look like there is an adapter in my neighborhood? I leave Tuesday. I had no idea there were different sizes. WHY BMW, WHY!!

There is no way I am going to get anything from BMW in time. Are there aftermarket adapters, would Future Shop have something like this? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Fronz

Well they do make compatible chargers - you may have sen this.

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/produ...oducts_id=2400

Realize it does not help much considering your time frame.
DonHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:50 AM   #362
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
I just discovered that my standard 12v/car cell phone and apple chargers won't fit in the GS's power outlet. WTF?

Yes, you can say it, "you just noticed that now?" I should have I guess, but I haven't needed it before now. I did a google search on adapters/BMW outlet etc. and it doesn't look like there is an adapter in my neighborhood? I leave Tuesday. I had no idea there were different sizes. WHY BMW, WHY!!

There is no way I am going to get anything from BMW in time. Are there aftermarket adapters, would Future Shop have something like this? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Fronz
The outlet plug size is not a BMW proprietary thing, it's a worldwide DIN standard. Why? Because they work much better in a motorcycle environment where you have to deal with vibrations, they are smaller, and apparently can handle more load.

You can either convert your cables with a new (better) plug, or you can get one of the adapter cables from Hella, Powerlet, and a myriad of other companies.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:11 AM   #363
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 817
Cool2 You're not screwed yet

Quote:

Thanks.

Fronz
Find a BMW shop and stop in. My shop has a wide selection of adapters for Powerlet (BMW) format to...you name it. Or check here: www.burnsmoto.com and expedite shipping.

Other options are www.easternbeaver.com www.powerlet.com.

Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:22 AM   #364
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
+1 on Burnsmoto!

I recently ordered a custom-length Powerlet to USB cable and got an email back from them within a few minutes of placing the order telling me that it had already shipped. It arrived via Priority Mail in a couple of days. They even threw in a waterproof cap and mounting bracket for free! My guess is that if you expedite shipping, it'll be at your doorstep before you even get back from the bathroom.

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:39 PM   #365
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,488
You order your parts in the bathroom?!
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:41 AM   #366
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
I knew that would come back to haunt me.

But hey (or rather, butt hey), it's the best seat in the house!

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #367
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
Don't you?
soyanarchisto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #368
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,710
I haven't run out of stupid yet, so here's another stupid question from the OP.

I bought a demo bike. Its run great. Came with a nice full length skid pan. I'm guessing its an OEM beamer brand. I'll post some pics later. But, its got these rubber cushioned mount thingy-ma-jigs....what screw into the bottom of the engine (i.e. oil pan). Rubber in the middle, threads on each end. So, the rubber chunk is between the skid pan and the engine pan. Got the picture?

Problem is this: Those thingys won't stay in the motor. Every time I remove the skid pan, when I remove the mounting nuts, those dumb rubber bumpers twist out (un-thread from the engine case). Well, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. The rubber twists so much (in the middle) that I can't really get the skid pan mounting nuts very tight. So, I blue locktite them (naturally)....which makes them hard to break loose....and the whole rubber stud unscrews from the motor. This has the additional blessing of occassionally messing up the threads in the engine case, as the skid pan is under some compressed tension....if its been bashed in the rocks and dented.

So, I'm never looking forward to dropping the skid pan (to change the oil) and fight this battle over and over. Practice makes perfect, mind you, so I am getting better equipped to deal with it. I've even tried red loctite for the threads on the engine side.....but same basic result. The only thing predictable about it, is its not predictable which rubber bunny will give me trouble "this time".

Anybody else fighting this battle, or am I all alone?

HF

p.s. I'm sure this design looked good on paper, but geeez.....reality check!
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #369
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,735
Those have an encapsulated epoxy on them and are intended for 1 time use...........

Actually I have never had that problem and have wondered why. I had them off and put back on just using my hands as the power source.

Wonder if a lock washer would keep that from happening.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #370
mischief
misadventurer

Oddometer: 515
they have a hex on the bottom of the rubber, you can hold it with a pair of channelocks while you loosen/tighten the nut. i also always grease the threads so the nut comes off easy
Old 06-27-2011, 05:27 AM   #371
strongmendieyoung
KLR Lover

Oddometer: 500
has anyone else had any issues with the rear brake being extremely soft within the first couple thousand miles? mine feels very spongy and has bottomed out a couple of times in non emergency stopping situations. I'm gonna take a shot at bleeding the lines this weekend, and if that doesn't help i guess i'll be calling the dealer.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:33 AM   #372
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmendieyoung View Post
has anyone else had any issues with the rear brake being extremely soft within the first couple thousand miles? mine feels very spongy and has bottomed out a couple of times in non emergency stopping situations. I'm gonna take a shot at bleeding the lines this weekend, and if that doesn't help i guess i'll be calling the dealer.
my brake fluid was replaced for its 3k service (by the dealer).
maybe bmw knows about this....?
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:06 AM   #373
strongmendieyoung
KLR Lover

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_WTF View Post
my brake fluid was replaced for its 3k service (by the dealer).
maybe bmw knows about this....?
I read a bit about the fluid being fouled in some bikes early in their lives. None of what I read seemed to match the black fluid with poor performance. I wonder if BMW gotta hold of some bad fluid?

I found another instance of a guy in Portugal, I believe that had some air in his lines, problems sounded very similar to mine. Hopefully that is my problem, and I can get it sorted out quickly and with little investment.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #374
Mongo357
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
follow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo357 View Post
Does anyone know of a cooling fan upgrade? My fan seems to be inoperative, even though I've tried blowing / washing any dirt, dust, and debris out. I just don't think the fan has enough torque to handle a little bit of dirt, which is inevitable in desert conditions. Really annoying when I have to stop cause the bike is overheating...
Ok, so I took Joel's advice and disconnected the sensor. The fan did NOT come on at all, so it is bad. I still have some warranty, so I will put that on the list, along with another cam cover gasket.

Question for Joel: that sensor is clocked at an angle that made it impossible to get the retaining clip back on. It looks like the sensor is locked with a jamb nut, is that true? So I could loosen it up, turn it a few degrees, and lock it back down.
Mongo357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #375
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,890
Just fitted PivotPegz but find they're lower than the stock pegs and the rear brake is now too high and my foot rests on the pedal. Easy job to adjust it?
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote