Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2011, 03:42 PM   #451
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
I am indeed. You're the first to ask so if you want it shoot me a PM.

Dan
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #452
mischief
misadventurer

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
I've taken mine out, inspected, and regreased.....just because! Its something I do after buying every bike. All bearings get inspected and greased. They rarely seem to have adequate grease from the new factory install (any brand bike).

Really, this is no big deal. Its very easy to do on the F800....nothing to be scared of. DO follow the torquing procedure listed above. Seems to work perfectly, as I've had no issues since.

The stem bearings are indeed a very common-looking, tapered roller type. I prefer SKF bearings which I get from "Motion Industries". They have other good brands too. Their shops are everywhere in USA, but you can also order online. Seals too....no problem.

Just get a match for the numbers which are stamped onto the stock bearing and seal. If that doesn't work, simple measure OD, ID, & thickness (millimeters) with a digital caliper or micrometer. Or, just use the numbers itsatdm has listed above.

If you have a "notchy" feeling, you may need to replace your bearing race(s), as well. Feel them with your finger carefully to see if its smooth or bumpy. Good chance your bearing was/is dry and its just not turning well. Replacing the races is sometimes a little tricky, if you don't have the right tools. Many can be tapped out using a punch or screwdriver....catching the lip on the backside. But often, there is no notch or not enough lip to get ahold of. That's when it gets tricky. I don't recall the situation on the F800, I'd have to tear into it again to inspect.

I have a "race removing tool" that is very cool. I found it hanging on the rack at K&N Yamaha in Tulsa, one day. Can't recall what brand. I'll have to find a photo. Worth the purchase price if you only remove one race in your entire life. Similar to wheel bearing removal tools, in that its a life saver. It compresses and slides into the stem and spreads out to snag the lip of the bearing race. Couple taps with the hammer and voila! Piece of cake. Without this tool, it can be a nightmare (sometimes).

HF
Thanks for the advice High Five. I got my old ones out and the new ones in. I used a piece of tubing to knock the old races out. It handles much better now, that stiffness had just creeped up on me and I didn't realize it.
I took it out to ride today and it died on me 4 or 5 times, seems to be flooding itself out at idle. I took it by the dealer and they checked the fault codes, the oxygen sensor is bad but they had to order one. I hadn't heard it before but they told me that it was part of the emission system and that system has a 5 year warranty instead of 3
Old 10-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #453
MoodyBlues
Hey! Watch this.

Oddometer: 398
WW Ronin pm sent.
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #454
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM. View Post
After a 3 years of threads and 60,000+ opinions found in searching... WTH is the final verdict for a fix on the rear shock bolt problem? I am 250 plus gear and do alot of off road and long haul road trips. Just finished the CDR and I am pulling mine today for inspection. Was leaning towards the ralle-moto bolt support and new bolt?
The "IndyUnlimited mod" I've done a good bit of jumping on my F8 with an Ohlins installed, and no bending....no way. This mod is the ultimate solution, and the way it should have been designed to begin with. Just use Search in the Parallel Universe forum and you'll find it. I don't have time at the moment to locate and insert a link. Maybe someone else will be so kind...

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #455
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 611
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...486251&page=80

better yet...
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580250
tofire409 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:43 AM   #456
pkbinder
Helga The Red

Oddometer: 259
Oil light flashing

The little red Genie Bottle has flashed on me twice in the last few months. The first time I was interstate riding in 104 degrees, so I wasn't too concerned. Yesterday I was in stop and go traffic for about 20 minutes in 70 degree temps when it came on again. I've ridden thousands of miles in betrween, but not in hot temps and not in stop and go. I know my oil level is good, but I'm concerned that something may be clogged. I think I will go and test to see if my fan turns on. Paul
pkbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:58 AM   #457
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbinder View Post
The little red Genie Bottle has flashed on me twice in the last few months. The first time I was interstate riding in 104 degrees, so I wasn't too concerned. Yesterday I was in stop and go traffic for about 20 minutes in 70 degree temps when it came on again. I've ridden thousands of miles in betrween, but not in hot temps and not in stop and go. I know my oil level is good, but I'm concerned that something may be clogged. I think I will go and test to see if my fan turns on. Paul
Is the temp gauge reading high? Sounds more like oil pressure flux than fan.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:09 AM   #458
pkbinder
Helga The Red

oil light

I actually didn't notice if there were more bars than normal. But I just took my kindle out to the garage and sat on my bike reading for 15 minutes. Vented of course. Fan did not kick on. Fuse maybe?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #459
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Quote:
I actually didn't notice if there were more bars than normal. But I just took my kindle out to the garage and sat on my bike reading for 15 minutes. Vented of course. Fan did not kick on. Fuse maybe?
The blinking oil light can be a symptom of your fan being stuck and thus not working. I know there's another thread here in Parallel Universe where a few people noticed the blinking oil light and then realized their fan was stuck.

Reach down and see if you can get your fan to spin easily by hand. If not, it's stuck. Then fire your bike up and let it idle. See if the fan kicks on. If not, there's your problem. Someone, Joel I believe, posted that you can spray water into the fan from behind to clear dirt and stuff out to get it working again.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:36 PM   #460
pkbinder
Helga The Red

oil light and fan

Thanks Yeti. I'll let you know what I find. Paul
Old 10-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #461
pkbinder
Helga The Red

oil light and fan

Boy am I in the right thread. I looked, saw the fan, tried to it and it was stuck. I looked in there with a flashlight and saw a chemical hand warmer that I must have dropped in there LAST SEPTEMBER 3RD on my way back from the Tail Of the Dragon. I've since travelled 5K miles on an air cooled engine. I am going with my kindle to see if the fan turns on. Sheesh.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #462
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Boy am I in the right thread. I looked, saw the fan, tried to it and it was stuck. I looked in there with a flashlight and saw a chemical hand warmer that I must have dropped in there LAST SEPTEMBER 3RD on my way back from the Tail Of the Dragon. I've since travelled 5K miles on an air cooled engine. I am going with my kindle to see if the fan turns on. Sheesh.
Awesome! Glad to hear that was (likley) the issue!
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 10-27-2011, 04:07 AM   #463
pkbinder
Helga The Red

Oil Light nd Fan

Fan cycles just fine, althogh it took about 15 minutes of idling in my 50 degree garage. Thanks again Yeti! Paul
Old 10-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #464
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Fan cycles just fine, althogh it took about 15 minutes of idling in my 50 degree garage. Thanks again Yeti! Paul
Glad that was it!
Old 10-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #465
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
Glad that was it!
+1.

pkbinder - apologies for the earlier misdirect and thanks to YetiGS for imparting knowledge.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote