Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2011, 06:05 AM   #496
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckerdD View Post
I did a search but did not find a definitive answer. I am going to change my chain at about 23,000. At the same time should I replace my sprockets, yea or nay?
Note they look similar to when new but I don't have a new bike to compare them with. I don't mind spending the money I just don't want to look stupid. Dave
Yea. Replace sprockets and chain at the same time
Old 11-25-2011, 06:30 AM   #497
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
just changed the chain and sprokets on mine after 18,000 miles chain was hacked rear sproket not bad front sproket starting to hook. As a chain wears the distance between the pins gets larger which causes the chain to run up higher on the sproket teeth instead of right down in the valley, which causes the teeth to hook and wear to fit the increased distance, which is why its a good idea to change sprokets and chain together. Wouldn't want to streach a new chain unnecessarily now would we?
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:49 AM   #498
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
Too many digits spoil the signalling

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxscycle View Post
I think the bmw switch gear is perfectly sensable. Easy to use, left, right or "cancel".
Try moving your hands inboard a little and use 4 fingers to brake
max
I used to agree with this, but on further reflection (and after riding my DR-Z for a week straight), I realized that the BMW method overtaxes the already busy right hand in both signalling and cancelling. The 'other' way places only takes a single thumb from the left hand to signal left/right or cancel. One digit, all functions; simpler = better in this case.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #499
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 831
chain and sproket

ditto on changing the spokets the same time you change out the chain. At 19,000 miles my front spocket was hooked pretty bad, you couldn't tell until you had the access cover off.
Don't forget the rear sproket one time use nuts !
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #500
exotesthrasouden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
I'd take your dealer advise on the chain and sprocket. It really depends on your riding style, if when you look at the sprocket you can visually see worn marks on the chain side it's an indication of high use and in extreme case result in slippage. Mine's at 12k and not showing any wear, but it's been 75% street and easy throttling.

Quote:
I did a search but did not find a definitive answer. I am going to change my chain at about 23,000. At the same time should I replace my sprockets, yea or nay?
Note they look similar to when new but I don't have a new bike to compare them with. I don't mind spending the money I just don't want to look stupid. Dave

- 2009 BMW F800GS
exotesthrasouden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #501
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

I'm not a new owner but I do have a stupid question.

I've got the chain off right now and while I was warming up the engine for an oil change I was surprised that the front sprocket was spinning in neutral. I guess I expected it only to be spinning in gear. Can someone explain why it works this way?
Old 11-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #502
flying.moto
Earthbound Misfit, I

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
I'm not a new owner but I do have a stupid question.

I've got the chain off right now and while I was warming up the engine for an oil change I was surprised that the front sprocket was spinning in neutral. I guess I expected it only to be spinning in gear. Can someone explain why it works this way?
My dirt bike does it too, and it was rather silly seeing it at first too. It is due to the "driven" gears sitting on the countershaft (one with the sprocket on), even though not having direct (dogs/slots) mechanical connection with the primary shaft in neutral, spinning it due to friction in the bearings of those gears. You can hold onto that sprocket with a suitable tool in neutral and stop it, although that could be a rather stupid thing to do It will spin regardless, clutch in or out. With your engine off, and in neutral, spin that sprocket by hand and you will feel that "bearing friction" + sprocket seal friction. The gears are always engaged and will always spin.

hope it makes sense, and maybe somoene can straighten up my nameology a bit but other than that, that's how it is.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:28 PM   #503
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying.moto View Post
It will spin regardless, clutch in or out. With your engine off, and in neutral, spin that sprocket by hand and you will feel that "bearing friction" + sprocket seal friction. The gears are always engaged and will always spin.

hope it makes sense, and maybe somoene can straighten up my nameology a bit but other than that, that's how it is.
That makes sense and the picture helps.

When I pulled in my clutch the sprocket stopped spinning though...
Old 11-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #504
flying.moto
Earthbound Misfit, I

Oddometer: 180
Looks like your clutch doesnt stick as much as mine on the dirtbike then :)
Old 11-30-2011, 11:14 AM   #505
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Quote:
That depends.If you switch out front sprockets for riding conditions like I do you can end up doing everything separately...one up for highway trips, one down for off road adventures, and stocker for normal use. But generally it is never a bad idea to change them all at once for normal maintenance.

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #506
redliner
n00b

Oddometer: 8
spare gas can

anyone carry spare gas in one of those 1.5 gal flat plastic tanks- where do you stow it? at the back above the panniers?
redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #507
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by redliner View Post
anyone carry spare gas in one of those 1.5 gal flat plastic tanks- where do you stow it? at the back above the panniers?
Depends on your racks and desires. I mount mine either on top of my rear box or on the rear rack itself if I'm not running around with the box mounted.

Another way is to mount them to the side racks themselves:
Old 12-07-2011, 07:08 AM   #508
Future ten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Be gentle

At the risk of sounding a bit new to this world, Im in the market for an Adv bike. being a Park ranger for a local county limits the choices down to bikes other then the all mighty GSA. My dream bike. I have an eye on the Tenere' and really like the parallel twin set up. Have ridden all my life (48 y/o) just got done recking my last Repsol RR on the track and ready to play in the dirt again. I have a place in Andrews NC that I frequent and drewl at the dirt roads up there. Love the outdoors ! Living in Fl sucks but I plan to live in NC (cherokee cty) in 5 years.

SO the question is, in true american fashion is the 800 enough bike. ? we tend to go after the biggest and fastest bike out there and usually its not needed. I have my choices to a point. The new Tiger and the GS800 both look great but the twin 8 seems like it may not like the 2 up chores? I enjoy taking the misses riding with me when I can, she likes it and we have a blast when we ride. My neigh bor has a 2010 KLR and I love that bike. Not a bike I would ride to NC though. (600 mi)

The tenere' has my attention and have always been a yamaha fan. A Bike that some say is too heavy but from what I see they are all heavy at 1200cc and up.

Is the Vstrom (1000) capable of being off road at all? I have gotten mixed opinions of the Vstrom and its abilitys. Sounds likie the 600 is a better choice ?

Really love this forum the storys are beyond cool. I have been a lurker for some time and decided to register seeing as though its getting close to purchase time. Well hope this isn't too ignorant of a post. Hate being the "new" guy (again) Semper Fi to any former Marines out there.
Future ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:58 AM   #509
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future ten View Post
At the risk of sounding a bit new to this world, Im in the market for an Adv bike. being a Park ranger for a local county limits the choices down to bikes other then the all mighty GSA. My dream bike. I have an eye on the Tenere' and really like the parallel twin set up. Have ridden all my life (48 y/o) just got done recking my last Repsol RR on the track and ready to play in the dirt again. I have a place in Andrews NC that I frequent and drewl at the dirt roads up there. Love the outdoors ! Living in Fl sucks but I plan to live in NC (cherokee cty) in 5 years.

SO the question is, in true american fashion is the 800 enough bike. ? we tend to go after the biggest and fastest bike out there and usually its not needed. I have my choices to a point. The new Tiger and the GS800 both look great but the twin 8 seems like it may not like the 2 up chores? I enjoy taking the misses riding with me when I can, she likes it and we have a blast when we ride. My neigh bor has a 2010 KLR and I love that bike. Not a bike I would ride to NC though. (600 mi)

The tenere' has my attention and have always been a yamaha fan. A Bike that some say is too heavy but from what I see they are all heavy at 1200cc and up.

Is the Vstrom (1000) capable of being off road at all? I have gotten mixed opinions of the Vstrom and its abilitys. Sounds likie the 600 is a better choice ?

Really love this forum the storys are beyond cool. I have been a lurker for some time and decided to register seeing as though its getting close to purchase time. Well hope this isn't too ignorant of a post. Hate being the "new" guy (again) Semper Fi to any former Marines out there.
You don't sound like your new to the planet, and most likely you won't get an answer to your question here. You'll have to go ride the different bikes and deceide where to draw the line in the sand yourself. I chose the 658 for several reasons, seat height when finished tuning suspension,tubliss tires, right side up forks,(yes you read that right i like them right side up) power and handling. It will haul my ass wherever i want to go and i can take a passanger if i wish it has enough power, so now you can read what others will tell you about their choices but remember its your choice make it a good 1 weigh all variables and get a bike you'll surely enjoy riding the back roads!
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #510
Future ten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Thanks huck, I do need to ride a few bikes. I like the fact that the GS800 seems to be much more dirt worthy. The fact that the 650 can haul around 2 up is good info. Shes not a big girl. hehe
I have learned from modding sport bikes that sometimes its better to buy the nice bike and save a few bucks on the aftermarket parts. I have seen some pretty nice SV's but they have spent a small fortune on goodys after the fact. It looks like a very cool side of the bike world and can't wait to get out there and play.
Future ten is offline   Reply With Quote