ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2010, 12:56 PM   #46
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer
 
LaPorte's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Northern Ca.
Oddometer: 462
Monstman

These are approx numbers. The grove is about 5mm below the bottom of the fork tube cap. I raised the fork tubes another 13mm for a total of about 18mm.
If you get the bike and are interesting in my Hyperpro fork springs let me know. They are 25mm shoter than the stock springs and lowers the front of the bike by 1"
I thought it handled very well with the front lower. It turned much sharper. The problem with the Hyperpro spings for me was, they were little soft for some of the off road riding i did.

LaPorte
__________________
If you don't know where your going don't lead!
LaPorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #47
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere
 
Two Moto Kiwis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Wanaka, New Zealand, Currently RTWing
Oddometer: 3,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPorte
If you get the bike and are interesting in my Hyperpro fork springs let me know.

LaPorte
Great info, many thanks.

Got a fella wanting my SMR so will know over the weekend where I am at I spose, would love to keep both but can't afford them both.

I am 74 kg without gear, so probably 84 -85 ready to race.
__________________
Andi (oveja negra) & Ellen (chica amarilla)...Two Moto Kiwi Grüvers .....riding Maya somewhere ..Una Chimba
Two Moto Kiwis Home Page ..Danger Is Real ... Fear Is Optional
For More Of Two Moto Kiwis Photos
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:38 PM   #48
Dragoon74
Lurker
 
Dragoon74's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: COS
Oddometer: 10
Dunno if this is the right place to ask this. But, what would it cost to put ABS on a non-ABS F8?
__________________
If you ain't CAV, you ain't $H1+ !!!!
Dragoon74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:30 AM   #49
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure
 
MCMXCIVRS's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon74
Dunno if this is the right place to ask this. But, what would it cost to put ABS on a non-ABS F8?
Way too much to be worth the effort and may not even be feasable to do at all for the electronics side of the system. Cheaper and easier to trade bikes for one with it.
MCMXCIVRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:55 AM   #50
VitBike
Guest
 
Oddometer: n/a
Not just that I have stupid questions, I am a stupid dude. That's ok because I have a whole life to learn.

Here are my 3 questions:

1) Is it very difficult to change the brake fluid on my twin w/ ABS? Couple inmates said it's a pain in the buttock to do it. . I'll have the repair manual early next wk.

2) Valve adjustment, is it a must do thing for every 12k miles? With this I mean: there's nothing wrong or no valve adjustment needed for the twin for every 12k miles if the bike is ridden & maintained properly.

3) Does anyone know a place that has the Michelin Anakee2 rear tire (140/80 17) in stock now & ready to ship? After 2 wks, I only have the front one & don't even know when they'll ship the rear one.

Many many thnx.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:03 AM   #51
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel
 
EnderTheX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: DFW Area, TX
Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitBike
Not just that I have stupid questions, I am a stupid dude. That's ok because I have a whole life to learn.

Here are my 3 questions:

1) Is it very difficult to change the brake fluid on my twin w/ ABS? Couple inmates said it's a pain in the buttock to do it. . I'll have the repair manual early next wk.

2) Valve adjustment, is it a must do thing for every 12k miles? With this I mean: there's nothing wrong or no valve adjustment needed for the twin for every 12k miles if the bike is ridden & maintained properly.

3) Does anyone know a place that has the Michelin Anakee2 rear tire (140/80 17) in stock now & ready to ship? After 2 wks, I only have the front one & don't even know when they'll ship the rear one.

Many many thnx.
Those certainly are some strange questions... I'll give it a shot.

1. Sorry don't know the brake fluid change procedure, I had mine done under warranty after the fluid turned black (I think this happens to every F8 in the first year). There was no performance degradation that I could notice when the fluid turned black but they changed it anyway, since then my fluid has been clear.

2. Valve adjustment is recommended every 12k miles but you will find 95% of us have not had to adjust the valves at the first 12k and probably 75% have not had to adjust at 24k (I'm making the percentages up but that is what it sounds like from what I've read). I skipped my 12k valve check when I did the service myself but I will tackle it when I get to 24k.

3. Best thing to do is pick up the phone and start calling. Go on the web and find all the bike stores near you (or away from you) and just call and ask, the parts guys will let you know if they have one in stock. I usually order online from one of the huge motorcycle online parts stores because they have good tire discounts since they can buy in super bulk.


Good luck!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:24 AM   #52
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure
 
MCMXCIVRS's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Oddometer: 1,199
Brake fluid change is pretty easy even with the ABS. Not any different than any other bike really. Just flush new fluid through using whatever brake bleeding technique you prefer, i.e., pumping with the lever, vacuum bleeding or pressure bleeding.

The newer R and K bikes with the EVO brakes are the more difficult ones to do.
MCMXCIVRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:45 AM   #53
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out
 
HighFive's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Okiehoma
Oddometer: 2,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
2. Valve adjustment is recommended every 12k miles but you will find 95% of us have not had to adjust the valves at the first 12k and probably 75% have not had to adjust at 24k (I'm making the percentages up but that is what it sounds like from what I've read). I skipped my 12k valve check when I did the service myself but I will tackle it when I get to 24k.
Hhhhmmm....can't say I'd recommend skipping a valve check. All motors are not made the same. You're never sure what the factory set them to in the beginning. If set on the tighter side (which seems common with many new 4T motorcycle engines), then some wear could put you into the danger zone of being too tight. That could lead to some ugly results.

If most bikes are not needing any adjustment at 12k, then you're probably ok. But "probably" might keep me awake at night. That's the problem, you don't really "know" until you've had a looksee under the hood. Me....I just got to know!

But, I'm only in the 4k range....I've got lots of riding to do yet before I get to that point. So, what do I know?

HF

p.s. kind of like the wheel bearings.....you wanna risk it or have a look? Granted one is considerably more difficult to evaluate than the other, but the principle is the same.
__________________
'13 Husky TR650 Terra, '11 Husaberg FE390, '10 BMW F800GS, '12 BMW R1200GS
Terra-izing the CDR Bergs Over the Rainbow Texas or Bust!
Rocky Mountain HighFive The Other Side of Nowhere
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #54
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco
 
inmate-n00b's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Oddometer: 1,006
aftermarket bash plate

For aftermarket bash plates, do you also need to purchase (from BMW)
additional mounting hardware?
Where do you get those screws with the rubber mounts? Does that come
with the F800GS?
I just bought a F800GS. I haven't received it yet, hence the stupid question.
I've just started the farklelization process....
I like the adv spec bash plate.

thx in advance.
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #55
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel
 
EnderTheX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: DFW Area, TX
Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_WTF
For aftermarket bash plates, do you also need to purchase (from BMW) additional mounting hardware?
No, hardware should come from the aftermarket manufacturer to install to a brand new bike, no extra purchase necessary, this should apply to all aftermarket bash plates (and more accessories).


Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_WTF
Where do you get those screws with the rubber mounts? Does that come with the F800GS?
You should be able to get them from your dealer or at an online BMW parts store... but you shouldn't need them unless you destroy the ones that come with the bike. If you have a brand new bike coming it will have these bolts installed, just remove stock bash plate and read instructions for installing new one.


Good luck and have fun!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:09 PM   #56
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b
 
SlowRide13's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Lakemont, Georgia, USA
Oddometer: 1,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
If you have a brand new bike coming it will have these bolts installed, just remove stock bash plate and read instructions for installing new one.
I believe that some bikes come without a factory bash plate? Maybe just the F650's? Anyway, if your bike comes with the little plastic stock plate you will not have to order the mounting hardware. If it comes with no bash plate at all, you will have to order the mounting hardware from BMW, I think.
__________________
F800GS Grin Machine
KTM690E Grrr Machine
XR600R Oakey Mtn in the mud http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzoU2NpkaoA
www.hoofrehab.com
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:21 PM   #57
VitBike
Guest
 
Oddometer: n/a
Thank you very much, EnderTheX. I'll follow your advice. About the tires, I found out about 4-5 places online that they don't have my tires in stock. Did not call any of them. When I placed my order at one shop, I thought they have both tires. Next time, I'll call them to make sure.

Thnx alot, MCMXCIVRS. You gave me the confidence.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:27 PM   #58
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer
 
JoelWisman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: STL, MO, USA
Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRide13
I believe that some bikes come without a factory bash plate? Maybe just the F650's? Anyway, if your bike comes with the little plastic stock plate you will not have to order the mounting hardware. If it comes with no bash plate at all, you will have to order the mounting hardware from BMW, I think.
Correct. All 800GS's come with plastic bash plates and 4 rubber mounts as well as one bolt.

The F650GS does not. For that bike, the mount kit that aftermarket manufactures are expecting comes as an excessively priced kit, available from any BMW dealer.

(Shameless plug). The optional metal bash plate from BMW is quite robust, plays nicely with nearly all aftermarket crash bars of which SW motech is my favorite (not a shameless plug, I have no vested interest in SW motech sales) and the BMW metal bash plates is one of the few bash plates that protects the cat which is an order of magnitude more expensive then the oil pan.

Someone else asked if anyones heard of any problems with bolting crash bars to the engine. No, that's what the lugs in question were made for. The only bars I have ever heard of hurting any part of the bike are the adventure tech bars and they only hurt the plastics and air box up top when the super tall bars bend in.

Somewhere around here is a picture of some bars that took a head on collision with a car and the mounting tabs to the motor folded back 180 degrees.

The mounting lugs on the engine are strong.
__________________
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:04 AM   #59
Olvi
Ice Butt
 
Olvi's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
You should be able to get them from your dealer or at an online BMW parts store... but you shouldn't need them unless you destroy the ones that come with the bike. If you have a brand new bike coming it will have these bolts installed, just remove stock bash plate and read instructions for installing new one.
Those "rubber bolts" are real beasts to take off . If you just change the plate and the new one seats to original fastening, you may not need spare ones, but if you ever need to take those "rubber bolts" off the you should have spare ones.
__________________
www.dustywobbls.com
Olvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:17 AM   #60
CycleRider
Studly Adventurer
 
CycleRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Oddometer: 674
Skid Plates

Depending on your style of off roading, there is bash plate that is about as low priced as you can find that does provide CAT protection. Check out the Ricochet ( <- click ) - Doesn't provide as much protection as some of the others that are popular, but it does provide "good" protection in important areas, for about 1/2 the price. I know I will get bashed for suggesting that you not get a plate designed to protect a tank, but I think for the buck, this is a very good value.

T...
CycleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014