Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #676
m5guy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
Here's a stupid question: Why do my wrists, especially my throttle hand, hurt a LOT after an hour's riding? At first it happened because I was leaning way too far forward so that my wrists were at an odd angle. Once I fixed that I found thay still hurt quite a bit especially when I rotate them after about 1 hour's riding. What am I do doing wrong? Do I need bar risers? Or a lower seat to alter my angle?
The factory grips are hard as granite and offer no vibration dampening. I've found that loosening my grip on the grips/bars helps a little.
m5guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:31 AM   #677
Hicks
der Überluber

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
With the bike on the centerstand if I spin the rear wheel when it is coming to a stop I get a small squeak. I can also hear it if I start turning the wheel very slowly. Anything to be concerned about?
it could be brake pads... take a video with sound and post it here....
Old 04-09-2012, 12:35 AM   #678
Hicks
der Überluber

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Here's a stupid question: Why do my wrists, especially my throttle hand, hurt a LOT after an hour's riding? At first it happened because I was leaning way too far forward so that my wrists were at an odd angle. Once I fixed that I found thay still hurt quite a bit especially when I rotate them after about 1 hour's riding. What am I do doing wrong? Do I need bar risers? Or a lower seat to alter my angle?
do you do any wrist excercise? for example with a gum-ring?

how tall are you?
Old 04-09-2012, 02:09 AM   #679
CaliKarl
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Another stupid question for you all. Actually, a stupid situation. My rear brake pads are stuck as I accidentally pressed the brake lever, with the rear wheel off, when removing the front sprocket cover. It just came down and hit the brake. So, do I pry a screwdriver in there? Or bleed the brakes, or both? Thanks. That front sprocket ain't coming off either. It's corroded as hell.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:19 AM   #680
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
do you do any wrist excercise?...
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:49 AM   #681
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
HIGHWAYMAN: Try some Grip Puppies or Grab Ons, foam grip covers @ about $10.00. You can rotate/pivot the handle bar a little bit in the stock clamps to change the angle of your wrist. Also you can rotate the throttle housing & brake lever a bit to get a straighter angle for your wrist. My preference is to have a straight line from my elbow to my wrist and hand as I rest my fingers on the brake lever with the throttle open a bit. Look here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561245 The rest gets costly if these little things fail to help out.

CALI: If you didn't shoot the pucks out of the caliper, just take a very clean screw driver or tire iron and pry the pads back into the caliper. You should not have to bleed the brakes. Good practice whenever working around brakes is to wipe the rotor clean with alcohol as a last step. You might need a small gear puller to get the counter sprocket off. Some auto parts stores (AutoZone, O'Relly's) loan tools.

malloy screwed with this post 04-09-2012 at 07:28 AM
malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:04 AM   #682
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
You could also try Beamer Buddies :http://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/Home_Page.html

Here's a thread that you might find helpful : http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493833
Toronto to Maine and back, Toronto to Boston -The Long way, To the Dragon
tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #683
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloy View Post
CALI: If you didn't shoot the pucks out of the caliper, just take a very clean screw driver or tire iron and pry the pads back into the caliper. You should not have to bleed the brakes. Good practice whenever working around brakes is to wipe the rotor clean with alcohol as a last step. You might need a small gear puller to get the counter sprocket off. Some auto parts stores (AutoZone, O'Relly's) loan tools.
Really any large smooth piece of metal that you can fit in between the pads to apply pressure to compress the pads will work. They should move back into position with some moderate effort (by hand). As for the sprocket, you could try tapping it with the plastic end of a screw driver or try a bit of liquid wrench.

I have sensor safe break cleaner that I use to clean just about everything.

Good luck.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #684
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofire409 View Post
You could also try Beamer Buddies :http://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/Home_Page.html

Here's a thread that you might find helpful : http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493833

The Beemer Buddies are great, made a big difference for me.
beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #685
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Do the over-grips prevent the heated grips from working as effectively?

Also will I need to remove my hand-guards to get them on? I realized yesterday I can't get my cramp buster's rubber band spacer on over the handguards.

Also will just exercise as suggested above help?
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #686
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Quote:
Do the over-grips prevent the heated grips from working as effectively? From what I have read, no. Some say that it makes the heaters better.

Also will I need to remove my hand-guards to get them on? I realized yesterday I can't get my cramp buster's rubber band spacer on over the handguards. Check out the site, it just wraps around without having to remove anything.

I'd be carful about the excercize that some are suggesting...your family might worry.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #687
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofire409 View Post
I'd be carful about the excercize that some are suggesting...your family might worry.
Haha.

I will start doing wrist curls and extensions again. Or maybe one of those hand exercisers.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #688
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
New bike, different ergos, it's not surprising that different things will hurt. Every spring my aging body has to get used to long days in the saddle again. Most likely the pain will go away (or at least subside) once your body adjusts. But relaxing the death grip on the handle bars will help too. That, and Ibuprofen.

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #689
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Hell I had to take a vicodin...but that was for my back. Never again...I started riding along and was wondering why I felt so awesome for 5 minutes. Changing your consciousness while riding = bad.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #690
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Do the over-grips prevent the heated grips from working as effectively?

Also will I need to remove my hand-guards to get them on? I realized yesterday I can't get my cramp buster's rubber band spacer on over the handguards.

Heated grips work fine with the Beemer Buddies and there is no need to remove the handguards.

I was actually ok with the stock grips but decided to try these anyhow. They took a little getting used to because of the seam but I'm glad I installed them, much better than the stock grips.
beeper is offline   Reply With Quote