Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #721
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 221
Outlet direct-to-battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
The powerpoint on the F650GS twin (and F800GS) near the ingnition key can be easily wired directly to the battery -- theyby avoiding the canbus. I did that (had the dealer to that) so I would not have any problem with heated gear. No warranty problems but this is a US bike in the US.
That looks like a good idea in this case. It lacks the flexibility for expansion that comes with an extra fuse block, but BMW can't point to any non-standard or aftermarket equipment that way.
Thanks!

When I have a chance I'm going to ask the local dealer here too. If they're the ones I'm going to be dealing with then I should probably know their interpretation of the warranty policies.
abnslr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #722
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Is the 600 mile service a real thing or just something recommend by the dealer to get a couple hudred extra bucks out of me? :)
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #723
Hicks
der Überluber

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
Is the 600 mile service a real thing or just something recommend by the dealer to get a couple hudred extra bucks out of me? :)
check the key bolts for tightness... not every (genuine) BMW service checks this.

(moment values in RepROM).
Old 04-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #724
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
check the key bolts for tightness... not every (genuine) BMW service checks this.

(moment values in RepROM).
Plus...I believe that it's also an oil and filter change, fluid check, clutch cable free play check and I want to say they "flash" the memory so you get better fuel milage (at least mine did).

I also have a thing about going to the dealer when there is warranty involved...less questions if there is an issue and there is "good will" that the better Dealers will give. Not that I want to EVER test my theory

Joel Wisman may be able to better comment on this.
tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #725
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

I don't mind taking it in. My dealership treats me really well, and I took the opportunity to buy a cover while I was there. Also they give the bike a professional cleaning after every service and my bike really needs it after the thousands of bugs I killed last weekend ;)

Additionally I am having them install some engine guards, metal skid plate, aux headlights (fender mounted) and fuse box and relay.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #726
Hicks
der Überluber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofire409 View Post
Plus...I believe that it's also an oil and filter change, fluid check, clutch cable free play check and I want to say they "flash" the memory so you get better fuel milage (at least mine did).

I also have a thing about going to the dealer when there is warranty involved...less questions if there is an issue and there is "good will" that the better Dealers will give. Not that I want to EVER test my theory

Joel Wisman may be able to better comment on this.
of course I did mean those bolts as an extra check, which is not always performed :)

---

and in case of BMW, we have warranty + coulance or how is it called in EN.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:08 AM   #727
Kevin-
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Looking for a thread about how to break in a new bike it was posted up a few weeks back but i cant find it.

Cheers
Kevin- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #728
alpi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin- View Post
Looking for a thread about how to break in a new bike it was posted up a few weeks back but i cant find it.

Cheers
I noticed there's a variety of opinions regarding the engine break-in procedure ranging from the "see factory recommendations" to "drive it like you stole it"... and there's an even more interesting variety of results. I found the most interesting opinions in this thread, beginning with #7856. The one thing that stuck with me was: "the key is no constant speeds and no lugging" & "increase rpm as the engine loosens up", which somehow seem to make a lot of sense, especially if attempting to "level out" all gears uniformly...
Old 04-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #729
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
The 600 is VERY important to the longevity of the bike, the only issue is most dealers do the minimum when the 600 is the best time to go over the bike with a fine tooth comb and find things that otherwise would be a problem down the road.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #730
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Got the bike back, all shiny, tuned up and washed. I had them remove the F800GS decals with a hot air gun.

I had them install the crash bars, skid plate, LED headlamps (fender mounted), fuse box with relay and SW-Motech GPS mount with Garmin powered mount.

I think they must have gone over the bike with a fine tooth comb because of the finale status report took him 5 minutes to go over with. Needless to say everything is a-OK.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:12 AM   #731
Hicks
der Überluber

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwisman View Post
the 600 is very important to the longevity of the bike, the only issue is most dealers do the minimum when the 600 is the best time to go over the bike with a fine tooth comb and find things that otherwise would be a problem down the road.
+1
Old 04-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #732
supertorro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Mirror stalk respray

Hi

Yet another noob here.
Anyone know if the mirror and stalk can be taken apart? I've noticed some rust bubbling up underneath the paint, so I'd like to take it apart to properly clean and respray.

Thought I'd ask here before I went about with usual ham fisted approach, that would ultimately result in my breaking the mirror and replacing with some aftermarket bits.

thanks
supertorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #733
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

The dealer has told me twice now that if squeeze the front brake, some of the rear brake is automatically engaged (linked braking). However, I've found no reference to linked braking online for the F800GS and the manual says nothing.

Does it have linked braking?
Old 04-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #734
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
No I don't believe it does
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #735
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicxcrider View Post
No I don't believe it does
Kinda pisses me off that the dealers would be wrong about this. I mean, it's a pretty major feature...they must have literally pulled that fact out of their ass.