User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 04:50 AM   #751
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Question Where's the ground?

Just wondering where the battery negative cable is grounded? On my 1200GS it was under the gas tank on the left hand side. You had to remove the tank to get at it. Remember the good old days when the ground was right out front?
Old 04-18-2012, 05:02 AM   #752
Namecheck
Like a Sir!

Oddometer: 114
Under seat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloy View Post
Just wondering where the battery negative cable is grounded? On my 1200GS it was under the gas tank on the left hand side. You had to remove the tank to get at it. Remember the good old days when the ground was right out front?

Is it under your seat on the right? Sometimes it is covered by a little black cap next to a positive sticker (where the pos hooks).
Namecheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:55 AM   #753
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by malloy View Post
It splits. Brown wire on left front at back of starter motor, and an internal harness junction all over to modules.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:16 AM   #754
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
No love under the seat, Namecheck .

Thanks for the reply, Joel. I see the nice, accessible brown wire & lug. Easy to get at. If one wanted to completely unground the battery is it enough to just take the brown wire ground off? Or is there some secondary ground or connector to be dealt with relative to the "internal harness junction all over to modules"?

BTW Joel, I am looking forward to whatever you and HIghFive come up with for a service CD. As you can see, there are a lot of us that could use it. Even though I am a fairly competent shade tree mechanic, I think it would be good to have even the simplest stuff (oil changes) covered to the more complex stuff (valves, steering & wheel bearings, etc.) covered.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #755
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Speaking of electrical problems, Saturday the dealer install LED headlights, GPS mount and fuse box and they worked great...until yesterday when none of it works. Aaargh.
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #756
Manventure
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I like installing all my own upgrades so I have the satisfaction of knowing I was the one that broke the bike. Err I mean know how everything works..........
Manventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #757
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manventure View Post
I like installing all my own upgrades so I have the satisfaction of knowing I was the one that broke the bike. Err I mean know how everything works..........
When it comes to electrics I prefer a mechanic/dealer to do it.
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #758
Frosteboy
Frosteboy

Oddometer: 21
Interested in knowing more about clutch play and how to measure it. I was reading a thread where a clutch went out and they were talking about the play. I've been off road a lot more lately and want to make sure I'm taking care of my 2010F800GS. Thanks.
Frosteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #759
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosteboy View Post
Interested in knowing more about clutch play and how to measure it. I was reading a thread where a clutch went out and they were talking about the play. I've been off road a lot more lately and want to make sure I'm taking care of my 2010F800GS. Thanks.
Handlebars all the way to the left, 3mm gap between the cable "housing" and the lever area.

tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #760
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 631
I should probably start posting my stupid questions in this thread

What will happen if I get rid of the ABS rings on the wheels?

Will it mess up and electronics? I had a faulty ABS sensor and it messed with the turn signals and stuff. Just wondering since I always forget to shut off the ABS when I hit the dirt.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #761
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
The abs just won't register and the light will stay on all the time.

I think
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #762
Frosteboy
Frosteboy

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosteboy
Handlebars all the way to the left, 3mm gap between the cable "housing" and the lever area.

What are some things I'll need to pay attention to if my clutch does start to give?
Frosteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:55 AM   #763
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhizafa View Post
I should probably start posting my stupid questions in this thread

What will happen if I get rid of the ABS rings on the wheels?

Will it mess up and electronics? I had a faulty ABS sensor and it messed with the turn signals and stuff. Just wondering since I always forget to shut off the ABS when I hit the dirt.
Just remove the rear ring, the front is used for the speed sensor.

The better but cheap way of doing it is to disconnect the rear sensor, there is s plug just to the left of the plastic rear shock adjuster mounting point under the seat - just unplug it and the ABS will be disabled until it's plugged back in and the light on the dash will remind you it's unplugged.

The better alternative is to get a kit from Burns Moto to install a switch that permanently switches the ABS off using the same connector, it's simple easy and cheap and lets you switch it on and off as needed.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:33 AM   #764
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 631
Good to know about the speed sensor in the front.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:32 AM   #765
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosteboy View Post

What are some things I'll need to pay attention to if my clutch does start to give?
You will find it "slipping" under load. The best way to tell is find a very quiet section of road, put it in gear and twist the throttle. You will see/hear the bike rev but the bike will feel like it's trying to catch up.

The way I found out (on another bike, I burnt/glazed the plates in a bog by not noticing the handle bar adjustment nut getting tighter) was on the high way, WOT (wide open throttle), red line and a very slow increase in speed. Oh and the burnt oil smell was a bit of a giveaway

The biggest thing is to check the cable every so often for proper play...too much is way better than not enough.

At least the 800 only has one adjustment point to worry about...

tofire409 screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 05:38 AM
tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote