Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #766
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosteboy View Post
Interested in knowing more about clutch play and how to measure it. I was reading a thread where a clutch went out and they were talking about the play. I've been off road a lot more lately and want to make sure I'm taking care of my 2010F800GS. Thanks.
Previous posts showed the technique from the manual.

The important thing is to check it often, particularly if you are being hard on it. I was in Mexico recently and riding the clutch a lot in very slow traffic - slower than 1st gear speed. Also some off pavement but I think my own bad riding habits had me riding it more than I needed. Finally noticed a little slipping in a hard acceleration - no gap at the clutch lever. Adjusted it out to the max which gave me 2.5mm and lasted for another 7000 km till I got home. I am guessing I would have had a little more play at that point if I had been more diligent and adjusted it before it started slipping.
www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #767
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosteboy View Post
Interested in knowing more about clutch play and how to measure it. I was reading a thread where a clutch went out and they were talking about the play. I've been off road a lot more lately and want to make sure I'm taking care of my 2010F800GS. Thanks.
The important part is that you have some. I didn't measure mine, just set like I normally do. Turns out it was 5mm. Not enough to let the connecter on the clutch arm to fall out, but enough to accomodate the clutch plate heat expansion that can occur if you slip the clutch a lot.

The original BMW recommendation was 1mm, which is not enough if the clutch gets hot.

Some riders thought the little adjustment under the clutch lever was the adjuster for the cable. It is not.

If you are a worrier just push the lever away with your hand and then pull the lever back. You should feel the freeplay. If you have some, don't worry about it.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #768
Frosteboy
Frosteboy

Oddometer: 21
Thanks for the clutch advice! :) Ive got some play and I'll let her rip.
Frosteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #769
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
My ABS seems to come on fairly regularly. I typically in city riding use the front brakes only, and I find when I ride over rough or loose ground it seems to kick in in situations where I never needed it on non-ABS bikes.

Is this likely a sign I am using too much front brake, or squeezing too hard?
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #770
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
I think it's because the abs is quite sensitive and minor wheel speed variations can trigger it. Happens to me too but just let up on he brakes in the rough stuff and you won't notice it anymore.
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #771
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicxcrider View Post
I think it's because the abs is quite sensitive and minor wheel speed variations can trigger it. Happens to me too but just let up on he brakes in the rough stuff and you won't notice it anymore.
This is what I'm finding...I practically know when it's going to go into ABS mode, everything feels loose for a second. Is this dangerous?

I'm not even yanking the brake.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #772
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
This is what I'm finding...I practically know when it's going to go into ABS mode, everything feels loose for a second. Is this dangerous?

I'm not even yanking the brake.
Not unless you are descending down a steep slope with loose rocks, mud and gravel

I wouldn't worry, it sounds like your are getting a handle on the ABS response. A learning curve for sure.

You should try to lock it up on a gravel road...it's nice not having the front wheel slide out.
tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #773
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

So far it's all city riding occurring under 20 MPH.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #774
Hudson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I'm short

2012 F8GS... Against dealer recommendation I have been mounting the bike by standing on the foot peg and then throwing my leg over. I am just not tall enough or limber enough to mount it from the ground without hitting my knees on eight different bits or looking like I am molesting the poor thing. Question: am I going to bend my side stand if I keep this up?

Thanks.

"They both savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."
-Terry Pratchett
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #775
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Do you do it while it's on the side or center stand?

With the center stand on, the dealer recommended mounting it as you do with no issues... I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #776
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,627
I get on mine all the time by steping on the peg with the side stand on firm ground. If I was a ballet dancer I could raise my leg over my head and swing it over the seat. Instead on soft ground I have to raise my leg with both hands to get it over the seat.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:56 PM   #777
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
2004 f650gs Dakar

Hello,

Getting a 2004 650gs Dakar. Any problems on 650 that are common that would help a new owner.
Many BMWs, never a 650. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

2004 with 569 miles on it. Rode to store, ( grocery ), and not much.

Thanks,

Heirhead
heirhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:29 AM   #778
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
Do you do it while it's on the side or center stand?

With the center stand on, the dealer recommended mounting it as you do with no issues... I wouldn't worry about it.
The sidestand and sidestand bracket on the twins was re-designed and beefed up about a year into production I think....
I tried whining to get the beefed up version and was not successful. If you have an early model bike I would take care if mounting it on the sidestand ... centerstand ... I agree ... can't see an issue there ... except now you have to get the bike of the centerstand while you are on it .... I've never practiced that maneuver ...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:02 AM   #779
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
The sidestand and sidestand bracket on the twins was re-designed and beefed up about a year into production I think....
I tried whining to get the beefed up version and was not successful. If you have an early model bike I would take care if mounting it on the sidestand ... centerstand ... I agree ... can't see an issue there ... except now you have to get the bike of the centerstand while you are on it .... I've never practiced that maneuver ...
It's a two up maneuver, with the passenger hanging off the back and the rider (with arms stretched out as far as possible) guns it and hopes for the best

Disclaimer:
Not a recommended procedure.
If attempted... good luck to you and your passenger
tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #780
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofire409 View Post
It's a two up maneuver, with the passenger hanging off the back and the rider (with arms stretched out as far as possible) guns it and hopes for the best
UMMMMMMMM maybe I'll pass on that ....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote