Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #781
rfk76
Rafal @ F800GS

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma87 View Post
My front brakes have been squeaky since pretty much day on on my f800gs Not on hard braking but just slowing down to a stop at a traffic light. It has about 2000 miles on it now and the sound has yet to go away. My xr650l front brakes did it to and I was told when the xrs brakes stop squeaking then its time for new pads. Is this the same way with the f800gs?
Hi there,

I have 2200km on my f800gs and I have the same thing with front breaks. It sounds like an old train while slowing down and it feels like the brake pads were made out of wood. Very strange feeling.
I went to my bmw dealer, they have check it, cleaned even though it was clean, but nothing has changed. They told me that those pads are very hard and this is how this breaking system works with this bike.
Last 10 years I was riding Yamahas (many models) and never had front brakes working in this strange way and I am still not sure if it really is how it supposed to be.

Best regards,
rfk
rfk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #782
TheRhys
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Chain question

I am way bummed out... I am new, maybe you have already answered other questions of mine... I was admiring my 8GS today and noticed that the chain is REALLY loose, like 3-4 inches up down at least. I do not know how long it has been this way, but my question is whether I can just snug it up to the 35-40mm mark or do I need to assess for other things? If so what are the other things it could be? Luckily I was just getting ready to change the rear tire tomorrow. Any help is appreciated!
Old 04-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #783
Westy99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfk76 View Post
Hi there,

I have 2200km on my f800gs and I have the same thing with front breaks. It sounds like an old train while slowing down and it feels like the brake pads were made out of wood. Very strange feeling.
I went to my bmw dealer, they have check it, cleaned even though it was clean, but nothing has changed. They told me that those pads are very hard and this is how this breaking system works with this bike.
Last 10 years I was riding Yamahas (many models) and never had front brakes working in this strange way and I am still not sure if it really is how it supposed to be.

Best regards,
rfk

Mine's been doing the exact same thing since day one. I've taken it in and had it checked out, "cleaned" and within a stop or two they are back to doing it again. A little Simple Green sprayed down around the pads will clean it up and stop the squeak for a few stops but it comes right back. Can't wait for the brakes to wear out so I can replace them with something that hopefully won't squeak and squawk like the stockers. You'd think for the price of the bikes, they could toss on some quiet pads.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #784
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfk76 View Post
Hi there,

Best regards,
rfk
I noticed that riding on dirt that the brakes have a real funny feeling with the ABS on. I start to use the front brake and it feels like something is stuck between the pad and rotor. After I brake a couple of times it goes away. It comes back if I don't use the front brake for a while. It is a lot different feel than the feed back you get when the ABS is working. I pull in on the lever and there is some immediate resistance. Then the lever keeps going in and I don't get a solid feel like when the pad is making hard contact with the rotor. On pavement the lever has increasing resistance as you pull the lever in. It has only happened about 4 times so it doesn't happen often enough that I can figure it out or even tell if the brake is working at all.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #785
Tessitori
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
I just thought about something I would like to do to my bike!
I am in the process of purchasing all the parts do to a front suspension swap, but since I am at it what would it take to make this a dual-disc front brake? The set-up is going to be a USD Yamaha fork!

Tessitori screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 08:48 PM
Tessitori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #786
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessitori View Post
I just thought about something I would like to do to my bike!
I am in the process of purchasing all the parts do to a front suspension swap, but since I am at it what would it take to make this a dual-disc front brake? The set-up is going to be a USD Yamaha fork!
I think that BMW would be smart to add a second disc to any future F650GS revisions. I certainly appreciate it on the F800. Aside from the 14 hp difference and the front wheel/suspension differences, no 2nd disc is the main reason I read a lot of people went for the F800GS ove the F650GS.
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #787
Tessitori
Gnarly Adventurer

Another stupid question ... what is the widest and narrowest rear and front tires we can run on these bikes? I am looking to run some street tires and there are not many options if I stick exactly with the same size.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #788
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,111
Quote:
Another stupid question ... what is the widest and narrowest rear and front tires we can run on these bikes? I am looking to run some street tires and there are not many options if I stick exactly with the same size.
The bottom of this page has a nice chart for that: https://www.denniskirk.com/help_center/tire-sizes.jsp
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:46 AM   #789
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,167
Quote:
I am looking to run some street tires
Not sure what you've been running but I'm very pleased with Anakee 2's as a street tire. Took some pics a couple of weekends ago of the old as I was spooning on the new - need to post up in 'oh no you didn't' but haven't yet.

Good grip dry or wet on sealed. Good wear. Junk in mud.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #790
GrendelMk1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
I think that BMW would be smart to add a second disc to any future F650GS revisions. I certainly appreciate it on the F800. Aside from the 14 hp difference and the front wheel/suspension differences, no 2nd disc is the main reason I read a lot of people went for the F800GS ove the F650GS.
HELL yes. I burned my first set of front pads down past the bars in 7k km. I just did my 10k service, and the "new" pads with 3kon them are down to 40% remaining. Ok, I commute on it, but fuck me, a front pad change every 7k km? I'm off for a 20k km ride in less than a month, I'm supposed to be a pad paranoiac? *rabblerabble*
GrendelMk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #791
Tessitori
Gnarly Adventurer

This is the really stupid question: how do I know if I have a standard or a low GS?
Old 05-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #792
Manventure
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Measure the seat height and then compare it to the BMW website?
Manventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #793
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
This is the really stupid question: how do I know if I have a standard or a low GS?
You'd think the dealer would have mentioned if it was lowered ;)
Old 05-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #794
Tessitori
Gnarly Adventurer

I purchased it used!
Old 05-15-2012, 08:05 AM   #795
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I purchased it used!
Email the previous owner? Park it next to another :)