Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #796
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
1. Have any of you had the engine adjusted to run on lower octane fuel? I've read references to this being possible, but doesn't seem worth it since the Premium works out to like $1-$2 more per fillup.

2. What kind of mileage are you seeing on the F800GS? I reset the mileage after every fillup and I've been getting no more than 43-44 MPG.
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #797
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,733
Was a remap for regular an option? Does it still exist?. The only thing I am reasonably sure of, is that your typical BMW dealer will not know about it.

I am fairly certain it was an option, at least in some parts of the world. It does not guarantee that your motor won't frag if you get bad gas, as proven by several posters.

BMW gathered up those motors and returned to Germany and no one has heard a peep out of them since. The Internet rumor is this software is no longer offered anywhere. Maybe that is the fix.

The fuel mileage can vary wildly on the bike. I average 56 mpg over its 3.5 years of usage. But the closest freeway is 50 miles away and I rarely get over 70mph. On the freeways I get about the same as you and have gotten as low as 39 into a 40mph head wind. I ran a 17 tooth front sprocket for a year and did not notice any appreciable change in mileage, so went back to stock. On the other hand people with 15 tooth sprockets report major mileage loss. So the bikes mileage is directly related to how tight you wind it.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #798
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrendelMk1 View Post
HELL yes. I burned my first set of front pads down past the bars in 7k km. I just did my 10k service, and the "new" pads with 3kon them are down to 40% remaining. Ok, I commute on it, but fuck me, a front pad change every 7k km? I'm off for a 20k km ride in less than a month, I'm supposed to be a pad paranoiac? *rabblerabble*

As too brake pad mileage, I am still running the stock front pads after 24,000 miles. I have changed the rears. That is probably due to a habit I picked up in younger days of activating the rear just before the front. (non abs brakes) probably different then some one coming from a sport bike background. I stick to it because it lessons front end dive.

You can buy after market pads for the bike. I bought some EBC. The front pads have about 1/2 the material as the stock pads. Not going to be cost effective, so back to stock
Old 05-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #799
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post

The fuel mileage can vary wildly on the bike. I average 56 mpg over its 3.5 years of usage. But the closest freeway is 50 miles away and I rarely get over 70mph. On the freeways I get about the same as you and have gotten as low as 39 into a 40mph head wind. I ran a 17 tooth front sprocket for a year and did not notice any appreciable change in mileage, so went back to stock. On the other hand people with 15 tooth sprockets report major mileage loss. So the bikes mileage is directly related to how tight you wind it.
Most of my riding is done on the freeway, I commute 40 miles (round trip) per day 5 days a week plus whatever pleasure riding I do on the weekend. I'm typically between 5000-6000 RPM and I hit 80 MPH in 5th quite often...I could probably get a few MPG extra by short-shifting but then the bike wouldn't be as much fun. No matter how I ride I get 43-44 mpg.
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #800
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
Quote:
Was a remap for regular an option? Does it still exist?. The only thing I am reasonably sure of, is that your typical BMW dealer will not know about it....
The re-map option was noted in the original announcement of the F800GS, I could find a copy of it if anybody really cares, but like you Gary, it wasn't well advertised, and I'm not sure you can get the "fix" any more ...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #801
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrendelMk1 View Post
HELL yes. I burned my first set of front pads down past the bars in 7k km. I just did my 10k service, and the "new" pads with 3kon them are down to 40% remaining. Ok, I commute on it, but fuck me, a front pad change every 7k km? I'm off for a 20k km ride in less than a month, I'm supposed to be a pad paranoiac? *rabblerabble*

I burned through my rears in 11k mi. So i ordered a set of rears and fronts so I had the fronts on hand ion case I needed them. Almost need another set of rears, and the original fronts are still in good shape at 18k.

Ryan
Old 05-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #802
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Itsatdm - I will be interested to hear what kind of mileage you get out of the EBCs. I find they are usually less $ than OEM but then don't last as long. Gotcha coming and/or going.

There were pictures of a dual disc F650 at one point. Rumored for 2012 but no love there. Got the fancy $400 yellow paint job & BNG instead. Maybe next year.

FYI: As to mileage my F650 is consistently in the mid 50s and above for local pavement riding on regular gas. Actually, truly calculated 68 MPG the other day after virtually coasting down hill from Tioga Pass to Evergreen Road in 6th gear @ 45 mph!
Old 05-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #803
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

I mounted the rear pads and they are wearing fine. The rear pads look like stock. The front ones are the ones skimpy on the material and did not get mounted yet.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #804
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,709
OEM Brake Pad Life

I'm past 17k mileage and still running the original stock pads. Estimate 50% remaining on Fronts, and about 30% useful life left on Rear. They've performed admirably for me.....and I've spent a lot of time offroad working the brakes a lot.

One possible point of interest: When removing the rear tire and then replacing, its easy to get the spacers swapped to the opposite (wrong) sides if you're not careful. They look similar, but don't fit the same. If you mistakenly swap them, the rear disc will rub constantly on the brake pad. This could be a certain source of premature pad wear on the rear of some bikes.

If you are having any trouble aligning and shoving your rear axle thru the wheel during remounting......try swapping the wheel spacers to the opposite sides. Don't ask me how I know...

HF

p.s. yes....even the factory or a dealer might have put these on wrong. Its possible. Test it out and see which way aligns your rotor more evenly in the caliper. I'm talking rear wheel only here.
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #805
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
...If you are having any trouble aligning and shoving your rear axle thru the wheel during remounting......try swapping the wheel spacers to the opposite sides. Don't ask me how I know...
p.s. yes....even the factory or a dealer might have put these on wrong. Its possible. Test it out and see which way aligns your rotor more evenly in the caliper. I'm talking rear wheel only here.
It is easy to get them swapped.... IIRC the one with the larger flange goes on the sprocket (right) side.
I still have my original front pads in @ 25K miles with some life left ... the back pads I replaced a little while back...

I recommend checking the bearings everytime you have a wheels off, and since it's little extra work to do so,
give that wheel's brakes a fluid flush ... esp. if you have ABS.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #806
GrendelMk1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
As too brake pad mileage, I am still running the stock front pads after 24,000 miles. I have changed the rears. That is probably due to a habit I picked up in younger days of activating the rear just before the front. (non abs brakes) probably different then some one coming from a sport bike background. I stick to it because it lessons front end dive.

You can buy after market pads for the bike. I bought some EBC. The front pads have about 1/2 the material as the stock pads. Not going to be cost effective, so back to stock
To really compare: how do you ride? My daily commute is in heavy stop and go traffic, where I pretty much live between 1st-3rd gear and thanks to both the traffic and hills, I'm constantly touching the brakes for one thing or another.

Come to think, that single caliper does look awfully damn small.
GrendelMk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #807
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

I do not think I am hard on brakes at all. I live in the mountains, but do not ride all that fast and let the engine compression deal with it. No cities to ride in, stick to back roads and dirt. Even the mountain passes do not require much brake work, if you know the road.

I really did not need to replace the rear pads
Old 05-23-2012, 11:50 PM   #808
GrendelMk1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
I do not think I am hard on brakes at all. I live in the mountains, but do not ride all that fast and let the engine compression deal with it. No cities to ride in, stick to back roads and dirt. Even the mountain passes do not require much brake work, if you know the road.

I really did not need to replace the rear pads
I think that's a lot of it. I'm constantly adjusting for everyone else in tight quarters, and I'd not be surprised if this is why I eat brake pads like crackers. I'm betting I'm on the short list for an early clutch, too. Little clutch, little brake, little clutch, little brake, etc...

When I owned my first bike, I lived in the mountains, and my only "wear item" worthy of mention was tires.
GrendelMk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #809
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
A couple days after we were on the trails, I noticed this spot on the 650 twins rim.

Is it bad?

Is it safe?

What is the best/cheapest course of action?

Ryan
Old 05-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #810
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Buy a tube and carry on. I have seen worse. It can be sort of fixed by some one with a press.