Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #886
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 506
There are several chain breaking/repair tools on the market. Some do both functions. Becarefull of the cheapest ones. They may not be up to the task...or worst case not do a good job properly deforming the rivit heads for good long term operation/safety.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #887
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiwi View Post
Hello all. My time for the stupid questions. Could someone please tell me the amount of oil required for the front forks please. I think I read somewhere that it is about 760ml. I am assuming that is for one fork, is that right?.

Secondly, I want to put a DID chain on my bike. Apparently I need a DID specific tool to break the chain and to rivet it back together. Are these two separate tools or is it one tool that does both jobs?. Thanks

I find it easier to get the air gap correct. BMW recommends fill to 60mm from the top, with the spring out and the fork collapsed. The air cushion is to prevent the fork from bottoming as oil will not compress and air will. It is not set in cement, tune it to your weight. Lighter riders can use a larger gap. Aftermarket springs may recommend a larger gap. Hyper pro recommends 120mm.

I need to get chain tool. For years I just sawed the old chain off. A grinder with a cutting blade does it. For putting a rivet type master link on, I use vice grip pliers. If you have a BB gun, a copper BB, a little grease to stick it to the rivet and squeeze.

itsatdm screwed with this post 08-21-2012 at 10:28 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #888
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
This is a bit of the blind leading the blind. I just bought my first DID chain from The Sproket Center - great people to deal with and have good props from other inmates here. Asked them which chain tool was the best - recommended the RK tool.
www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #889
asordo
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Gearbox and noice

Here's one, why when you shift from neutral to first gear, like when you are at a red light, the gearbox makes a metalic noise, like if the clutch was not working properly?, But if you shift to second instead of first the noice is much less? (I'm sure the clutch is working fine by the way).

One more, how you know when is time to change the chain, when it starts to become loose frequenlty?

Thanks!
asordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #890
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by asordo View Post
Here's one, why when you shift from neutral to first gear, like when you are at a red light, the gearbox makes a metalic noise, like if the clutch was not working properly?, But if you shift to second instead of first the noice is much less? (I'm sure the clutch is working fine by the way).

One more, how you know when is time to change the chain, when it starts to become loose frequenlty?

Thanks!
1) Actually I've never tried shifting into 2nd at a light.... I'm going to go do that in just a minute to see...
But ... the clutch on most bikes is a "wet" clutch meaning it bathed in engine oil, and as such there is some residual engagement between the plates due to the oil film leading to a bit more clunking than you would get with a dry clutch.

2) Yes - One of the signs of of a chain that is reaching end of life it the need for frequent adjustment.
Frequent lubrication or one of the oiling systems can extend the chain life by quite a lot.
A quick check is to try to pull the chain away from the rear sprocket at about the 9 o'clock position and if more than 1/2 of a tooth is exposed you are likely on the way out...
There are more sophisticated ways to measure wear as well ... one of them is to get the chain tight and measure the length of certain number of links of chain and compare that to the new dimension for that number of links If the wear exceeds 1% - 2% ... it's likely goning to be toast soon if it isn't already...
I'm sure there are some different opinions on measureing wear, but the answer to your question is "yes" as a chain reaches end of life it will need adjustment much more frequently.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #891
Hookapelli
Adventure-Junkie

Oddometer: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckerdD View Post
I aim to lube (and clean) the chain every 500 miles or so. Sometimes more sometimes less. I got 17k miles on the first chain and it most likely would have gone quite a bit more, but I did not want to try it for a South American trip. I am about 15k miles on the second chain and it hardly seems used. Dave
Buddy of mine has 25k miles on his chain using this:

http://bolty.net/2009/05/13/dupont-t...ou-by-science/

His chain and sprocket still look new and shows no sign of needing replaced.

I've been using it every 500-600 miles and I'm at 12k miles with no sign of ware on chain or sprocket.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #892
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,118
I have 28K miles on my OEM chain.
I think I've only adjusted the tension 4 times and I can't as yet pull any slack between the chain and rear sprocket.

I keep it clean and lube it frequently (at the end of every day while on the road) with synthetic 90W transmission oil applied sparingly with a toothbrush while the bike is on the centerstand. The DID rep. recommended this to me many years back and it seems to work so I keep doing it.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:17 AM   #893
peripateo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Tire pressure: when on the road should I maintain the tire pressure that is listed in the BMW owners manual or what is on the side of the actual tire? My new bike has the Perrelli scorpions and they say maybe 42 or 46? Bike manual recommends much lower. Thanks!
peripateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:55 AM   #894
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by peripateo View Post
Tire pressure: when on the road should I maintain the tire pressure that is listed in the BMW owners manual or what is on the side of the actual tire? My new bike has the Perrelli scorpions and they say maybe 42 or 46? Bike manual recommends much lower. Thanks!
I have the same tires and it doesn't say 42 or 46 as far as I remember. How much do you weigh? Do you ride two-up?

I usually run 34/36 but the dealer pumps them higher. Higher pressure gives you longer tire life but less grip. You can experiment around. Just make sure they're not too low.
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #895
peripateo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
They say max load 715 lbs at 42 psi cold.

Anyway, is there a trick to getting the bike up on the BMW center stand? Or am I just that weak?
peripateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #896
murdock84
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:

Anyway, is there a trick to getting the bike up on the BMW center stand? Or am I just that weak?
My F800GS Trophy was my first bike with a center stand as well. See the below link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDNqCMNau9A
murdock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #897
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,627
Quote:
That is max pressure and load listed on the side of the tire. The owners manual gives a range of pressure, depending on load and the type of riding you are doing. Plus different tires work better with different pressures.

Some people swear by always using higher pressure for longer tire wear, but I find that that wears the center of the tire faster, especially on knobby tires.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #898
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,627
Quote:

I find it goes on pretty easy. The problem most people have is they are trying to lift the bike. You should be pushing down with your leg. Just push down as hard as you can with your leg and use your arm to pull the bike back so you rock the bike onto the stand.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #899
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
Make sure both sides of the stand are flat on the ground when you start. It was a pain at first because I had more weight on one side than the other. It is easier to access the foot lever if you lift up the passenger peg. I grab the close side bar of the passenger peg and lift up while pushing down on the foot lever.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:54 AM   #900
Oz_Gordo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
A lot of discussion about putting a bike on the centre stand went on here
http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...e-centre-stand
Oz_Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote